USPSA Match, 3/17/13, Blue Rock, OH
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Ohio Gun Forum > USPSA Match, 3/17/13, Blue Rock, OH

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 01:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default USPSA Match, 3/17/13, Blue Rock, OH

Rayners Range monthly USPSA match, the 17th! This is the second match of the year . . . always the third Sunday of the month. The Rayners are great people, and you will have an awesome time!

As always, 22 rimfire side matches for handgun and rifle. Some show up just for this! We always shoot this after USPSA, in the afternoon.

http://www.raynersrange.com

Dave Bone
USPSA A-67357
NRA member
NAHC life member
US Army 1968 ~ 1971

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #2

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

Thanks for the heads up! I'm going to try to make it out! (been looking to get back into the competition scene and have some fun)

I see on the website it says "combat shotgun side match" is that going on, or is it just the pistol/rifle .22 side match that you mentioned in your post?

I'm an experienced USPSA/IDPA shooter, however...haven't been to a match in probably 5 years, and never been to one here in Ohio.

I didn't see anything on the website, will there be a requirement to show up early as a "new shooter" to run through the safety course so the RO/SO knows we won't shoot our foot or anyone else? Or will you guys just take me at my word that I've shot before?

do your matches really run till 5 pm, or is that a rough guess? our matches out in Colorado were usually done by 2, and cleanup finished by 3.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #3

Combat shotgun side match? You mean the one I failed to mention? Well, let me explain further . . . there is a 22 rimfire pistol/rifle side match every month. Then there are combat shotgun and combat rifle side matches that alternate monthly. March will be combat shotgun, April combat rifle and so on.

There is no setup / teardown of stages, at Rayners. Show up and shoot. Gotta love that! Match fee, $20.00 with side matches $5.00.

Tom Rayner usually squads new shooters with himself, or one of the regular RO's. No need to show up early. Speaking of showing up, the regulars usually show up between 8 and 9 AM. Sometimes 9:30 or 10 before some finish BSing and start shooting though. Ha! Even so, they are done by noon, 1 at the latest.

There are groups of shooters trickling in all morning, form a squad and may be shooting late in the day. No real match start time, you see. Tom Rayner can often be seen taking a second squad through in the afternoon.

Rayners have hot food for sale - hot dogs, sloppy joes and the like. The son-in-law and I usually finish the match around noon, go in to eat, shoot the side matches and leaving the range by 3.

Dave Bone
USPSA A-67357
NRA member
NAHC life member
US Army 1968 ~ 1971

Old 03-11-2013, 07:40 PM   #4

ok. thanks for the reply! sounds MUCH more casual than the matches I shot out in Colorado! haha. we'd show up at 7:30-8 to help set-up for a $5 discount on the match fees, shooters meeting and stage walk-though was at 9, then we'd split into groups and start the stages. everyone rotates through, and then when everyone is done (at the same time pretty much) we all tear down, and again, be done by 3 or so.

I got your PM back, I'll shoot him an email, and see you guys on Sunday! (BEFORE I partake in St Patty's day festivities! haha)

Old 03-12-2013, 12:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cuda383 View Post
ok. thanks for the reply! sounds MUCH more casual than the matches I shot out in Colorado! haha. we'd show up at 7:30-8 to help set-up for a $5 discount on the match fees, shooters meeting and stage walk-though was at 9, then we'd split into groups and start the stages. everyone rotates through, and then when everyone is done (at the same time pretty much) we all tear down, and again, be done by 3 or so.

I got your PM back, I'll shoot him an email, and see you guys on Sunday! (BEFORE I partake in St Patty's day festivities! haha)
Okay, show up and have some fun! Maybe even squad with the Morgan county guys (includes me). We're laid way back

Dave Bone
USPSA A-67357
NRA member
NAHC life member
US Army 1968 ~ 1971

Old 03-18-2013, 11:24 AM   #6

Thanks for the heads up! showed up, had a blast. shot the match, shot the shotgun stage, and re-shot the match a second time.

didn't see you, but then I assume you look like your avatar...was your name Mike by chance? haha.

I squaded up with Mike, Mike, Ben and Mason. then when I reshot, I was with Mike and Mike.

I'll be back next month!

Old 03-18-2013, 02:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cuda383 View Post
Thanks for the heads up! showed up, had a blast. shot the match, shot the shotgun stage, and re-shot the match a second time.

didn't see you, but then I assume you look like your avatar...was your name Mike by chance? haha.

I squaded up with Mike, Mike, Ben and Mason. then when I reshot, I was with Mike and Mike.

I'll be back next month!
I never did see anyone that looked like your avatar

Had some no-shows for my usual squad, and ended up with just 3 of us. We started out somewhere around 9:30.

How about that stage 5? Did you pull the right cable? I had to study it thoroughly before I stated!

Dave Bone
USPSA A-67357
NRA member
NAHC life member
US Army 1968 ~ 1971

Old 03-18-2013, 02:37 PM   #8

I think the 5 of us started at 9-ish, and were done by 10, 10:30, then went back out at 11...maybe 11:30.

stage 5 wasn't too bad. I got my azz kicked on the steel plate stage 1. been a LONG time since I fired off hand. I burned up nearly 50 rounds to knock down 18 targets. Embarassing! (maybe I can blame it on my hands being cold? haha)

Stage 5 was fun, I don't remember my time the first run, but on the 2nd run I was around 9 seconds with almost all A hits. and I'm shooting production so I had a mag change in there too.

I realized though that I'm going to have to up my gamesmanship if I want to start becoming competitive. a few of the gamers were trying to pull 2 cables at once and do the whole run in 6-7 seconds with their limited guns, but their hits weren't as good either...or I should say, misses! haha.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #9

Oh, and yea...my skin isn't quite as green as the picture I used in my avatar. but I am kinda big

Old 03-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #10

Oh yeah, stage 1. I do not know my round count for that stage, and never want to know! Ha!

Dave Bone
USPSA A-67357
NRA member
NAHC life member
US Army 1968 ~ 1971