Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ohio Gun Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f148/)
-   -   New to this forum. Need help decided on shotgun. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f148/new-forum-need-help-decided-shotgun-84252/)

Young_Shooter60 02-15-2013 01:27 AM

New to this forum. Need help decided on shotgun.

First off, I'd just like to say this is a great forum, and I'm glad I found it. Secondly, hello all.

Now, to the business. I am 18 (almost 19), and I am recently a new firearms enthusiast (go ahead, make fun), but nevertheless, I love shooting guns. This past deer season was my first season, but to no avail. I missed my first buck, a little one, but still my first buck. I was using my New England Firearms Pardner (go ahead and make fun again). I want to upgrade to a new shotgun, and I need help deciding. My stepfather uses a Remington 870 Express tactical w/scope and I love it. However, I don't know if that is necessarily the best choice for deer hunting. I am getting a new shotgun for my birthday in like three weeks, and I can't decide what to choose. I'd really like an 870, but I figured I would ask some "experts". The most I want/can spend is $500-$600. What shotgun will give me the best bang for my buck? (Pun definitely intended) :) :confused:

Gatoragn 02-15-2013 01:39 AM

Benelli Nova, $399.99 to $549.99 depending on options.

Young_Shooter60 02-15-2013 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatoragn (Post 1138097)
Benelli Nova, $399.99 to $549.99 depending on options.

My friend has one... are they good? Also, I forgot to mention that I am looking for a 12 gauge, unless there is a particular 20 gauge that is better.

Gatoragn 02-15-2013 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Young_Shooter60 (Post 1138109)
My friend has one... are they good? Also, I forgot to mention that I am looking for a 12 gauge, unless there is a particular 20 gauge that is better.

Benelli guns are top shelf.

You have to decide what you want. I turkey hunt with a 12, pheasant hunt with a 20.

If you plan to hunt waterfowl, get a 12.

Don't be afraid to check around for used guns, you may find a nice auto-loader in your price range.

Young_Shooter60 02-15-2013 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatoragn

Benelli guns are top shelf.

You have to decide what you want. I turkey hunt with a 12, pheasant hunt with a 20.

If you plan to hunt waterfowl, get a 12.

Don't be afraid to check around for used guns, you may find a nice auto-loader in your price range.

I've heard nothing but good things about them, so I was trying to get a first-hand account of them.

Do you suggest 12 gauge for deer? Sorry for all the questions, like I said, I'm new to hunting. Also, I don't know the regulations on buying used from a private party and I don't want to unknowingly do something illegal.

BRAD313 02-15-2013 02:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Out of all my shotguns my Benelli is my go to gun

Young_Shooter60 02-15-2013 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRAD313
Out of all my shotguns my Benelli is my go to gun

I will definitely keep that in mind. Thank you.

gunlinn 02-15-2013 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Young_Shooter60
First off, I'd just like to say this is a great forum, and I'm glad I found it. Secondly, hello all.

Now, to the business. I am 18 (almost 19), and I am recently a new firearms enthusiast (go ahead, make fun), but nevertheless, I love shooting guns. This past deer season was my first season, but to no avail. I missed my first buck, a little one, but still my first buck. I was using my New England Firearms Pardner (go ahead and make fun again). I want to upgrade to a new shotgun, and I need help deciding. My stepfather uses a Remington 870 Express tactical w/scope and I love it. However, I don't know if that is necessarily the best choice for deer hunting. I am getting a new shotgun for my birthday in like three weeks, and I can't decide what to choose. I'd really like an 870, but I figured I would ask some "experts". The most I want/can spend is $500-$600. What shotgun will give me the best bang for my buck? (Pun definitely intended) :) :confused:

Mossberg 500 combo! You can get 12 g or 20 g as well as two barrels for it. Smooth bore and a rifled barrel. Great gun and very accurate for a good 100 yards. Then you can have your deer gun and a small game or clay target gun. For the price you might be able to score a decent scope for the rifled barrel as well.

BRAD313 02-15-2013 12:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Gander mtn. has these on sale the Mossberg is a good deal I have 3 500s all shoot good.

Gatoragn 02-15-2013 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Young_Shooter60 (Post 1138148)
I've heard nothing but good things about them, so I was trying to get a first-hand account of them.

Do you suggest 12 gauge for deer? Sorry for all the questions, like I said, I'm new to hunting. Also, I don't know the regulations on buying used from a private party and I don't want to unknowingly do something illegal.

Gun shops sell lots of used guns, private party is not the only option.