Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Ohio Gun Forum > Greeting From Morgan County!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan89 View Post
Thanks for all the great info!

So its as easy to get started as becoming a member and then finding events to compete in?

I found a club near by that has USPSA shoots the 2nd week every month and a IDPA match the 3rd week every month.

I'm pretty stoked!
Found a club already? Excellent! The next step (I recommend for USPSA) is obtaining the rule book. Familiarize yourself with the rules, expecially the safety aspects. It is rather easy to get yourself disqualified at a match if, for example, you "break the 180". Ask me how I know this

Visit http://www.uspsa.org. At the top of the page click on RULES then click on the first link, 2008 Rule book. Save this rule book on your 'puter. It is free! A printed copy can be purchased, by contacting USPSA. You do not need to be a member. In fact, USPSA membership is not required to shoot Level I matches (local matches).

Also on that same page, and just below the rule book, you will find the "Approved List" of guns you are permitted to shoot in Production Class. Production is where most people start. I think you will find that you need at least four magazines, and five is best. You can only have ten rounds per mag, you see.

There is a wealth of information at uspsa.org, including locating clubs / matches. If you do a search for "Clubs" you will find contact information for every club in Ohio. Every state, for that matter.

Good luck, and ask all the questions you like. Someone here will have the answer or tell you where to find it

I can't help you with IDPA, never tried it. LubeckTech will have to field your questions there.

Dave Bone
USPSA A-67357
NRA member
NAHC life member
US Army 1968 ~ 1971

Last edited by Reshoot; 02-26-2012 at 11:42 AM.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:23 PM   #12

You don't have to be a member to shoot most club level events and generally they are open to the public as most clubs use them as fund raisers but check where you will be shooting and ask about safety rules as they frequently differ from place to place and match to match. Have a case, bag or some kind of container to bring your gun in. USPSA and other matches have "safe gun areas" and these are the ONLY places you can have a gun in your hand besides on the line at the RO's command. You take your cased gun to the area and then holster at that place it (no magazine) if you were to drop it say during a draw you can't pick it up the will do that and hand it to you. With out IDPA matches at Ft. Harmar you jus bring your gear and holster it at the car handling it safely.

I shoot NRA small bore rifle at Dillon lake there you bring your rifle in a case and it stays there and is only out while shooting. At another place (Brair Rabbit) you bring the gun uncased and put ti in a rack and as long as the muzzle is up or down and there is no muzzle sweeping no problem so the rules can vary alot.
It is a good to goto a match just to watch before you shoot it if possible. Moral of the story is "know thy range rules".

Reshoot if you like rifle shooting and have a .22 rifle with which you can hit a 5"x7" piece of steel (ram) out to 100 yards you might like the .22 NRA smallbore silouette match at Dillon Sportsman's center. It held on the first Saturday of the month 4:00 pm. Match fee is about $10.00 and it takes 1 box of shells as you get only one shot per target. Basically it is 10 targets at 30(chicks), 50(pigs), 75(turkeys) and 100(rams) yards shot in 4 strings with 5 minutes to complete each group of ten standing position. Lots of fun and very relaxing. Plus cheap.

Last edited by LubeckTech; 02-26-2012 at 03:31 PM.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:41 PM   #13

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Thanks guys!

I think all my questions are answered for now. I'm going to try to make it to a match next month and watch.

Until then i'll study up on the rules!

Everybody needs a little Devastation!

Old 02-27-2012, 12:07 AM   #14

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

There's a bowling pin shoot March 11 (Sunday) at DILLON starting at 10AM. You should consider getting there around 9-ish and wear your thermal undies and WARM BOOTS (need I say it's outside ? and there are no heaters. We're big boys. O at least we're C-C-Cold b-b-boys. They burn some of the shattered pins inside after the shoot). Cost is $12. Bring a 45 (or similar big hitting hog-leg) and a 22. TWO sets of tables (pins) with big bore and ONE set (pin tops) with the 22.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:52 AM   #15

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoGrrr
There's a bowling pin shoot March 11 (Sunday) at DILLON starting at 10AM. You should consider getting there around 9-ish and wear your thermal undies and WARM BOOTS (need I say it's outside ? and there are no heaters. We're big boys. O at least we're C-C-Cold b-b-boys. They burn some of the shattered pins inside after the shoot). Cost is $12. Bring a 45 (or similar big hitting hog-leg) and a 22. TWO sets of tables (pins) with big bore and ONE set (pin tops) with the 22.
Where is this?

Dillon as in Dillon state park?

Everybody needs a little Devastation!

Old 02-27-2012, 03:10 AM   #16

If you are in NW Ohio it is a bit of a long drive.
It is a fun simple match which I shoot as often as I can 40 pins with a centerfire and 20 pin tops with a .22
Dillon lake Sportsman's Center - Land of Legend Rifle Pistol Club has a variety of matches there every weekend April thru October and Bowling Pin matches all year. You don't have to be a member to shoot and most matches start at 4:00pm.

http://www.llrpc.com/

Old 02-27-2012, 03:49 AM   #17

Here is a link to a video of the pin match I shot last year;

http://s1043.photobucket.com/albums/b437/LubeckTech/?action=view&current=PinsintheRain22011.mp4

Notice the rain or any other weather condition (except maybe lightning) does not stop the match. The pins must not only fall over but must be knocked off the table.