Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Ohio Gun Forum > Greeting From Morgan County!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 03:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Greeting From Morgan County!

I'm an avid shooter, and hunter. Having retired 13 months ago, I finally get to do what I want to do. Well, almost . . . . I am married

Beginning my fourth year of USPSA competition. Not much good at it but, I have a whole lot of fun!

Dave Bone
USPSA A-67357
NRA member
NAHC life member
US Army 1968 ~ 1971

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-18-2012, 03:05 AM   #2

This is my Limited Division gun, a 40 caliber Springfield XDm built by Springer Precision, Bend, Oregon.

2012l-limited-gun.jpg  

Dave Bone
USPSA A-67357
NRA member
NAHC life member
US Army 1968 ~ 1971

Old 02-18-2012, 12:22 PM   #3

For anyone out there, that likes throwing lead with a handgun, there are several disciplines available . . . steel challange, bowling pin, IDPA, IPSC / USPSA.

I am only familiar with USPSA, and can tell you that it is more fun than anything else I have done, outside of the bedroom!

Yes, it is referred to as competition and they hold "matches", but you do not have to be competitive in nature or anything of the sort (ask me how I know that). You do not have to join USPSA, nor do you have to join a club. Match fees are generally $15.00 ~ $20.00.

You have enough gun to shoot a match? While there is an "approved firearms list", if you bought your gun in America it is most likely on the list. It will have to be 9mm or larger but that is pretty much it! Production Class offers one the opportunity to shoot a stock handgun . . . . even the one you bought strictly for concealed carry.

Got questions, interested? Then post'em here and let's get you started!

Dave Bone
USPSA A-67357
NRA member
NAHC life member
US Army 1968 ~ 1971

Old 02-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #4

Hi Dave!

Nice XD!

I don't know how far you are willing to travel but we have very good IDPA matches here at Fort Harmar in Marietta. Generally 5 or 6 stages which sometimes include our professional quality shoothouse. It is a club level match so equipment requirements are not stricly enforced but you do need a gun with no external modifications and a simple holster basically stuff that you would use if carrying on a daily basis. Some stages are shot from concealment so you would need a cover garment. Website is;

http://www.fortharmar.com/
We have a nice range which is home to Ken Hackathorn world class trainer and writer frequently seen on programs on The Outdoor Channel's Wensday night at the range.

Another place you might like is Big Run Range http://www.bigrunrange.net/ . Their Day League matches are a really fun, target rich 3 stage mostly steel pistol match and they have a specialty league which consists of night or 3 gun matches. If you join the league there is a banquet at the end of the year with a prize table. Last year was my first year in the league and I walked away with about $80 in prizes.

I shoot at Ft Harmar, START, Big Run, Briar Rabbit and this year hope to shoot at Pickaway County. I believe they have a Bianchi Cup Style match

Old 02-18-2012, 04:47 PM   #5

Hey, thanks for the information! I shoot USPSA, at Rayners, with some of the people that shoot IDPA in Marietta. They have tried to talk me and the son-in-law into coming down. Problem is, two matches a month (Rayners & Circleville) pretty much uses up my shooting budget

Dave Bone
USPSA A-67357
NRA member
NAHC life member
US Army 1968 ~ 1971

Old 02-22-2012, 04:35 AM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Dave
I'll have to try get out to Rayners some time. I shoot pins at Dillon once a month but have my other Sundays tied up.
Do they shoot other days than Sundays at Rayners ?
I'm actually near Glenford but nobody's heard of it so I listed Newark in my profile.
Roger

Old 02-22-2012, 11:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoGrrr View Post
Dave
I'll have to try get out to Rayners some time. I shoot pins at Dillon once a month but have my other Sundays tied up.
Do they shoot other days than Sundays at Rayners ?
I'm actually near Glenford but nobody's heard of it so I listed Newark in my profile.
Roger
Nah, the handgun match is always on Sunday. The third Sunday of the month.

Now, there long range rifle match has gotten so large they shoot Saturday and Sunday. So, one could sign up early for a Saturday. First match of the year is this weekend. They shoot from 200 yards out to 1,000 yards. Wish I had a gun capable of that. Or, perhaps it's me . . . . nah, surely not

Dave Bone
USPSA A-67357
NRA member
NAHC life member
US Army 1968 ~ 1971

Old 02-26-2012, 12:34 AM   #8

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Got a question. I'm very interested in competitive shooting. I've looked at some IDPA stuff on youtube and really liked what I saw. I also am interested in USPSA shooting. Where do I begin? Any recommendations on anything? I live in NW Ohio is there anything close by?

Thanks.

Everybody needs a little Devastation!

Old 02-26-2012, 06:34 AM   #9

IDPA is where I recommend folks start. The target distances are much closer mostly in the 5-10 yard range and are very straight forward. It is great for building confidance and getting a feel for match shooting. People sometimes complain about IDPA's rules but they are all commonsense stuff. Generally targets are engaged from nearest to farthest unless instructed otherwise by the RO. You shoot from behind cover on the move to cover or moving to accomplish a task like pulling a wounded dummy to safety. You will VERY seldom stand still and shoot unless behind cover. Many times IDPA stages are shot "from concealment" meaning you need a shirt, vest or jacket to conceal your gun. It was started by Larry Vickers, Ken Hackathorn and Bill Wilson to simulate things you could encounter if you were carrying concealed and wound up in a "situation" but the exercises are somewhat exaggerated.

USPSA Limited has fewer rules no cover or concealment and you are not penalized for standing still and shooting. There are more targets at greater distances typically 15 - 25 yards. More steel and targets that whirl, appear & disappear, swing and many which are activated by falling poppers plus you will shoot from awkward positions. At least once per season Tom Rayner at his range drags out a turret chair which is a swivel chair with a piece of wood attached blocking the shooter's view. The wood has a slit about 10 inches wide by 18 inches tall thru which you must shoot and you must swivel the chair back and forth to see the various targets. More precision is required to score well because the targets have different size hit zones. Again the same guys started the sport many years ago. I love and shoot both - they serve different roles with IDPA being more about real world tactics (more or less) for instance stand in the open and shoot in a real encounter and you're toast!!! USPSA being concerned with the mechanics of shooting. If you can enjoy them both and enjoy them often!!!!!

Last edited by LubeckTech; 02-26-2012 at 06:36 AM.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:53 AM   #10

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by LubeckTech
IDPA is where I recommend folks start. The target distances are much closer mostly in the 5-10 yard range and are very straight forward. It is great for building confidance and getting a feel for match shooting. People sometimes complain about IDPA's rules but they are all commonsense stuff. Generally targets are engaged from nearest to farthest unless instructed otherwise by the RO. You shoot from behind cover on the move to cover or moving to accomplish a task like pulling a wounded dummy to safety. You will VERY seldom stand still and shoot unless behind cover. Many times IDPA stages are shot "from concealment" meaning you need a shirt, vest or jacket to conceal your gun. It was started by Larry Vickers, Ken Hackathorn and Bill Wilson to simulate things you could encounter if you were carrying concealed and wound up in a "situation" but the exercises are somewhat exaggerated.

USPSA Limited has fewer rules no cover or concealment and you are not penalized for standing still and shooting. There are more targets at greater distances typically 15 - 25 yards. More steel and targets that whirl, appear & disappear, swing and many which are activated by falling poppers plus you will shoot from awkward positions. At least once per season Tom Rayner at his range drags out a turret chair which is a swivel chair with a piece of wood attached blocking the shooter's view. The wood has a slit about 10 inches wide by 18 inches tall thru which you must shoot and you must swivel the chair back and forth to see the various targets. More precision is required to score well because the targets have different size hit zones. Again the same guys started the sport many years ago. I love and shoot both - they serve different roles with IDPA being more about real world tactics (more or less) for instance stand in the open and shoot in a real encounter and you're toast!!! USPSA being concerned with the mechanics of shooting. If you can enjoy them both and enjoy them often!!!!!
Thanks for all the great info!

So its as easy to get started as becoming a member and then finding events to compete in?

I found a club near by that has USPSA shoots the 2nd week every month and a IDPA match the 3rd week every month.

I'm pretty stoked!

Everybody needs a little Devastation!