Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Ohio Gun Forum > Deer & Bobcat Road Kill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Deer & Bobcat Road Kill

These animals were hit on state route 60, south of McConnelsville, Ohio. I can not remember what month now, but last year. The driver thought they hit a Deer, but upon inspection found both dead. So, it is unkown if the cat was trying to recover the Deer from the roadway or what?? The local game warden was called, and he took both away.

Make a heck of a full body(s) mount, would it not?! Stinking game wardens anyhow.

Oh, pic was taken by a friend, that drives for Morgan County Public Transit. She happened upon the scene and stopped to check on the driver.

v__eb65.jpg  

Dave Bone
USPSA A-67357
NRA member
NAHC life member
US Army 1968 ~ 1971

Last edited by Reshoot; 02-18-2012 at 01:54 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-19-2012, 09:48 AM   #2

Liked 1101 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2387

Fascinating. Reminds me somewhat of the "two deer locked up and dieing" situations that you see some times...

What a shame.

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 02-19-2012, 11:37 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Interesting.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 02-20-2012, 09:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigByrd47119 View Post
Fascinating. Reminds me somewhat of the "two deer locked up and dieing" situations that you see some times...

What a shame.
Had one of those situtations just this past Deer season, not one mile from my place! The guy looks out the window and sees two bucks fighting 20 yeards from his house. Grabs his bow, steps out the front door and puts an arrow in one. It wasn't until that time he realizes they are locked together (I went over and talked to him after I heard the news). Oh wait, it gets even better

When the buck he arrowed expires, the live buck drags it across the driveway and into his pond. There the second buck drowns! He pulls them out with his four wheeler, tags the buck he shot and calls the game warden. Game warden writes him a tag for the second buck and lets him keep both . . . an 8 pointer and 12 pointer. Gawd, what luck

This guy makes some phone calls and ends up selling the heads and hides to Cabela's for $8,000.00 AND gets a full replica mount for free . . . WTF!

I went to the local processor to look at the heads, where they were stored in his cooler. And, I hope to see the finished mount in the new Cabela's Ohio store next year. I sure hope that is where it end up!
wp_000367.jpg  

Dave Bone
USPSA A-67357
NRA member
NAHC life member
US Army 1968 ~ 1971

Old 02-20-2012, 04:42 PM   #5

Liked 2339 Times on 1521 Posts

I remember hearing that story, reshoot. Neat. Anyone hear of mountain lions/ cougars in nw Ohio within the last 8 years or so? A guy a mile away was seeing one on a regular basis, but not within last couple years. At least 80 lbs, probably a released pet. Also heard of one hit near Westminster, about 10 miles from me, but can't confirm that.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 02-21-2012, 11:45 PM   #6

I know a family that rents a house from AEP, out on the old Central Ohio Coal Company property. He has seen cougars on more than one occassion, he told me. Then, his wife says that she loves being in the wilderness and hiking. Said she does not do it any more because it got to where she ran into black bears every time she was out.

Dave Bone
USPSA A-67357
NRA member
NAHC life member
US Army 1968 ~ 1971

Old 02-22-2012, 04:23 AM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Reshoot
I'll have to ask Eric Lane next time I see him what the law is for game, such as you described, and is it a requirement that the warden seize the carcass.
RoGrrr

Old 02-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoGrrr View Post
Reshoot
I'll have to ask Eric Lane next time I see him what the law is for game, such as you described, and is it a requirement that the warden seize the carcass.
RoGrrr
I don't know that they were "seized". The driver may not have wanted the Deer or it could have gone to a food bank. The cat I wonder about???

Dave Bone
USPSA A-67357
NRA member
NAHC life member
US Army 1968 ~ 1971

Old 02-22-2012, 11:55 AM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Reshoot
Sorry, I misread your post. I'd thought you said the warden took them.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoGrrr View Post
Reshoot
Sorry, I misread your post. I'd thought you said the warden took them.
Nah, you didn't misread my post! I was told the game warden did haul the animals off, but "seize"?

I have never known of an incident, in this county, where the investigating officer "seized" road kill. They ask the driver if they want the Deer. If the driver declines, they try to find someone to take it, for consumption. The one time (so far) I have hit, and killed, a Deer a state trooper was the investigating officer. He asked me if I wanted to keep it, and I declined. He made a call and had someone enroute to take it.

The Morgan County sheriffs department keeps a list of people willing to take road kill, and anyone can get on that list. I have to believe the game warden, in this case, was going to find a home for the Deer through the sheriff's list.

Dave Bone
USPSA A-67357
NRA member
NAHC life member
US Army 1968 ~ 1971