consult an attorney from my previous post
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Ohio Gun Forum > consult an attorney from my previous post

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 06:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default consult an attorney from my previous post

I made a previous thread about purchasing firearm, and you guys said consult and attorney what would I ask of this attorney exactly.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-28-2013, 07:12 AM   #2
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1335 Times on 699 Posts
Likes Given: 612

I went back and read the previous thread and I have to say that my first conversation would be with my psychiatrist. It is important to know what your psych would say about you were he asked by LEOs. He also may have suggestions on whether you should own a firearm and the best way to go about it. Having a letter from him clearing you would make an attorney's job easier.

As far as talking to an attorney, you don't need a list of questions. Tell him you'd like to own a firearm, tell him about your mental history and ask his advice. He is paid by you and works for you so just let him do his job. There's nothing tricky about this conversation. :-)

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

People Like This 
Old 05-28-2013, 11:52 AM   #3

the whole thing about paying an attorney im not sure if I need one, i might pass the check I mean I went to the instutuiton in 2007 under my own will.were can I find a copy of the form.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Your other option is to go to an FFL and attempt to make the purchase. You will likely be delayed and within a week you will know if you are denied.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #5

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Sorry you didn't like the answers that were given to you, but, not to be a dick, if you are suffering from delusions, nonviolent or otherwise, you cannot and should not own a gun. Period.

Once your delusions are "cured", if that's even possible, then you can think about ownership.

Anything that alters your perception of reality, whether it's delusions, drug addiction, alcoholism, makes you a liability.

The only time you can have too much ammunition is if you're swimming or on fire!

Gun stores: Where the morbidly obese can pretend to be mercenaries, allude to past experiences in Special Ops, and overuse words like "tactical" and "piece of kit".

johnr1943 Likes This 
Old 05-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9212 Times on 3974 Posts
Likes Given: 1441

Sstroy- we do not know you, and we cannot make an informed judgement of whether you are in a condition to safely and responsibly possess a firearm. THAT would go back to your health care provider. Legal questions- go to your attorney.

I will say this- some years ago, I was badly hurt. Combination of the meds I was on- I was NOT safe with anything more deadly than a tongue depressor. Did that condition change? Yes- I healed up, and was no longer on large doses of pain meds. Did I have hallucinations and delusions? Hell, I would have copyrighted them if I could have- they were doozies!

Conditions change, and circumstances change. We are not able to judge yours.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 05-28-2013, 05:44 PM   #7

I talked to the fbi/ncis rep she said I would have to adjucated by a judge to facilty, and she said I would probaly be good.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:49 PM   #8

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by sttroy216 View Post
I talked to the fbi/ncis rep she said I would have to adjucated by a judge to facilty, and she said I would probaly be good.
Then a great first stop would be further evaluation by a mental health professional. Judges aren't psychologists, and many of them actually realize it.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:27 PM   #9
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1335 Times on 699 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Then a great first stop would be further evaluation by a mental health professional. Judges aren't psychologists, and many of them actually realize it.
This is why my advice was to check with your current psychiatrist. He knows your condition best and would be the best to judge your current condition. Besides, a judge will most likely want your medical records or want you to be evaluated by a doctor, so it would be good to find out what they will tell the judge.

C3 is right - we cannot make any sort of informed judgement on your condition, only guide you to the people that can. You will have to go through several steps and several professionals to make sure you are safe to own a firearm. There are no shortcuts on something this serious and far-reaching.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

People Like This 
Old 05-28-2013, 11:36 PM   #10
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8588 Times on 4960 Posts
Likes Given: 11152

I would not ask can you buy a gun, but more importantly should you buy one? Our history has many recent examples of people who have successfully obtained firearms, only to use them for evil purposes. There is no way that a bunch of us on the internet can answer this question for you and unless you are completely open and honest with your doctor, they may not be able to accurately answer your questions either.

You absolutely must go to see your psychiatrist and pose these questions to them. Do't try to dodge around hoping they will give you the "OK", because they won't. Not unless you ask them outright and in full context what their opinion is on you owning a gun. If they say you are cured and they will sign you off, then go for it.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
axxe55 Likes This