Be Careful of Big Dawg Firearms - Page 17
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Ohio Gun Forum > Be Careful of Big Dawg Firearms

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2014, 08:38 PM   #161
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3094 Times on 2099 Posts
Likes Given: 657

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
You might also call turn to 2 and get them some time on the TV news.

Thats Local In Ohio? We want to Find Someone they "Scammed" from out of state, Because then it becomes MAIL FRAUD, which is a Federal Offense(Dad Was a Postal Cop!)......

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 03-30-2014, 08:40 PM   #162

Liked 2378 Times on 1484 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I'm lost like last years Easter egg

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 03-30-2014, 11:42 PM   #163

Liked 2421 Times on 1570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
I'm lost like last years Easter egg
Nobody drop or step on him! He will stink bad.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 03-31-2014, 06:39 AM   #164
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8213 Times on 4741 Posts
Likes Given: 10568

Working with Mike Gilbert from Big Dawg and Minotaur via email right now. I am trying to see if he will come on here and post what he has been saying to me. If he does decide to come here and post for himself I expect that everybody be respectful and let him be heard. His explanations sound legitimate and he says he accepts full responsibility. Lets see if we can resolve this issue.

Everybody cool with that?

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
People Like This 
Old 03-31-2014, 07:45 AM   #165

OK. I have been corresponding back and forth with Mike Gilbert Jr of Big Dawg Firearms. He is not willing to come on here himself, but he has agreed that I can post what he has written here on this thread to try and clear things up. I don't know where this will go, but ask that you all remain respectful and lets see if some of this can be resolved. We are all on the same team it seems, so lets try and get along.

Here is what Mike has said:

Quote:
First in regards to this I would like to ask that you do not share my email address. A friend mentioned you were looking for an interaction and provided your email so I am reaching out.

Let me first off state that Big Dawg Firearms was a father/son business; however, my father has nothing to do with what everyone is complaining about. We provided an excellent shopping experience, training, and service to the community. I was the one organizing the shooting range and the reason why Big Dawg closed. Big Dawg closed due to a Sales & Use Tax issue that I created. No excuses, but I made a sound choice in taking care of my staff and customers after the Sandy Hook incident and was willing to pay the late penalties to the Ohio Department of Taxation. The pre-sale on memberships were paid to start plans, architectural blueprints, etc to begin the range and I was working on the fulfillment of financing. The state shut us down for the Sales Tax issue and when I spoke to our business attorney, the state of Ohio had hired 50 new auditors and they shut down over 250,000 businesses for late payments. I had offered to EVERYONE that I would still honor their memberships once we re-opened as well as issue refunds once we re-opened if that was elected. When the state shut us down, we were not allowed to sale anything so no money was coming in to issue refunds. No one was willing to wait they wanted their funds immediately. Which is more than reasonable, but no money coming in and all money already spent covering expenses, final paychecks there just was no funds to give out. Everyone thinks this cash was pocketed, but my father nor I took any money from the business, everything went back into covering salaries, and inventory. My father was just as surprised as everyone else that we closed. This falls on my shoulders. In regards to Minotaur, I was the manager, Ms. Shaffer bought the assets and I offered to run the day to day sales but no other involvement. I signed the lease for her, since she was out of town since I was the manager. The reason for closure was due to my departure from the company for personal reasons and she had no one to run it. Ms. Shaffer had no prior knowledge to what happened and I feel bad people are talking so bad about her. What I will say is that I have always looked at making it right, but I am taking care of personal expenses before other expenses. I am willing to still make things right, but it seems that instead of patience some would resort to internet harassment and the like instead of handling things like an adult. By no means was this INTENTIONAL, of taking peoples money, we actually did very well in the Huber Heights location which is why Big Dawg was expanding, but the state shutting us down threw a huge monkey wrench into everything and from what my attorney states Big Dawg had a minimal amount owed compared to 75% of the businesses shut down in 2013.

Sincerely,
Michael Gilbert Jr.
In response to this I urged him to come here and post his words himself, and also invited him to come on the Podcast this Thursday to talk. Here is his response to that:

Quote:
Well my friend shared some of the links from the forum, I never really followed a lot of the forums. Considering some have stated I should be strung up, never be able to have gainful employment or I should be shot says a lot about the potential audience. Sounds like it would make for an interesting podcast but honestly don't feel like a public lynching. So I would have to give it some thought honestly.
And then there is this:

Quote:
You are able to post what you want, but after viewing those on that thread, the response is not going to be pleasant I can tell you that. I am a big advocate of the 2nd Amendment and the right of gun owners and until the incident, Big Dawg was getting bigger. One incident, has caused people to slander my father, who had no reason to be slandered as well as nor to be called thieves, crooks, etc.The business treated customers with respect which most shops treated their customers like a number. The situation with Minotaur was sad because honestly once I started I realized I did not want to do it anymore and felt bad for Ms. Schaffer. I missed working with my father. So you are going to post what you like to the forum, unless my friend says something I wouldn't even know honestly. As I stated, from the responses on the thread I already know what the outcome will be. I can state this, Mick is an interesting individual, but he is not a pleasant guy to deal with. Several individuals could have gotten reimbursed through their credit card but want the satisfaction of me placing cash in hand which seems stupid if you are wanting your money. Mick also fails to mention he was offered a full refund before we shut our doors for good if he met me at the location at certain time, but never came.
I again urged him to come on here, and pointed out that Ms. Schaefer did make some threats and had some evasive answers to direct questions he wrote this in response:

Quote:
I have nothing to hide, just don't want harassed that is why I asked about withholding my email address. I have received Death Threats among other heinous things on Facebook which is why that is blocked now as well. Post what you like, but understand that I already know how those on that thread will respond. So if you want to share the email that is fine but I don't think it will shine any light on anything other than encourage more. Ms. Schaffer, well not to say it is because of her being a woman, but Mick stating thatMinotaur was mine and it wasn't she was worried it would fail, which it did, but more so because I closed the doors and left her without a person to run it. Contrary to what most think, she didn't pay me either, the agreement was for me to get it up and running and then go from there on salary, well that didn't work out.
And then this:

Quote:
What I challenge anyone on, is other than this incident, to state how Big Dawg mistreated them or were the thieves we were. If that was the case why were we the only one's after Sandy Hook to not inflate our prices. We kept them at their suggested MSRP. Competitors doubled and tripled their prices. It is unfortunate this happened and I had planned on re-opening Big Dawg once the issue with the State had been resolved, but after receiving Death Threats over $175 I see the public is less stable than these crazy gun grabbers trying to steal our rights.

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."

Old 03-31-2014, 07:58 AM   #166

Here is another email. he has a damned good point about how death threats and sending wishes that a man they (mistakenly) think is your recently deceased father will "burn in Hell" is totally inappropriate under all circumstances. I hope you all will not prove his fears.

Quote:
I believe that there is no time like now for people to ban (sic) together against the tyranny we face with our current administration trying to violate our rights and many things could have been done to work all this out with the 12 individuals that paid for "pre-range memberships" but none chose that route. Everyone wanted to start the threats and harassment. Another individual named Michael Gilbert died in Ohio, not my father, but I got 8 messages stating they hoped he burned in hell, thinking it was my father. It wasn't but still does it make it right. My father had no idea what was going on, he is innocent in all of this yet they wanted him to burn in hell. That forum thread will prove that the mindset is similar after you post my email. You seem like an intelligent individual, you should no (sic) people want blood, no (sic) explanations.

Quote:

Old 03-31-2014, 12:27 PM   #167

Liked 228 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I would never advocate threats of physical harm or death; I've got big boy pants now, and I have no dog in this hunt.

I am curious about a few things however. Mike Gilbert stated several times he is taking full responsibility for this matter, but what exactly does "full responsibility" mean? A lot of people were left holding an empty bag for quite a while with no answers or clue what really was going on. Mr. Gilbert also states that Mrs. Schaffer bought out the assets of Big Dawg. So where did the money for that go? He offers to set up and run Minotaur and then walks out shortly after opening, stating she was unaware of what happened with Big Dawg.
So is taking "full reponsibility" basically saying "sorry" or doing something/anything to repair the damage done?
Mike Gilbert's bad choices brought blame to his father and Minotaur, not some random lynch mob.
Ms. Shaffer seems to have opened up Minotaur in absentia and then failed to pay Mike's salary or the rent, but that is neither here nor there.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:44 PM   #168

Default Be Careful of Big Dawg Firearms

The first post was not completed on screen, when hit continue reading, the app crashes. I'd like to see the entire first post.
I don't think ANYone associated with this podcast or running the site itself would advocate for or conduct such behavior. We are simply trying to find out what happened here. If what MG jr. Says is true, then Mick, you should have taken your refund and be done with it. He says he gave you the chance to let him make it right, and you did not do it. Where I'm from, if a man did you wrong and then VOLUNTEER's to correct his mistake, you let him try at least before you castrate him, no ?
Either way, as a storyline for the show, we can go with what we have if you want. We don't gain anything by pushing conflict, and no one ever is successful in such endeavors( see Mr. Piers Morgan)...

I'm sorry that this happened to Mick and other customers. I'm also saddened that MG jr. Had to shut down. He accepts responsibility for what happened. My feeling is: this will never be fully resolved, and Mick and others may only have recourse with the state since they prohibited MG jr. from earning a living enough to make restitution. Very messy all around. If you want to tell him that the podcast is not a lynch mob recording and you think he will come on, we can be on our best behavior if he wants to explain everything live by voice, that would be enough for me. Did you tell him this is not a live audience and that he would only be talking to Two, Three people at most?

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Last edited by DrFootball; 03-31-2014 at 02:19 PM.
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 03-31-2014, 02:31 PM   #169

Liked 53 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 85

I am done with this, Mr Gilbert never, ever offered me a full refund. That was all I was asking for. I went to his shop personally, called and did email. All I asked for is a refund. Go back to post 1 and you can see what he said about refunds. I started falling for his apology above until I saw that. I can't believe he would continue this lie. But it is over and I learned.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:39 PM   #170

Default Be Careful of Big Dawg Firearms

We were trying to get you a successful resolution to this. We can't tell if he's lying or not. We aren't face to face with either you or him...but I understand your frustration.

Vikingdad: at this point, we should be done, and just report what we know on this on the next show and be done. Mick no longer wants any contact, he feels MG Jr. Is lying, and short of one of us having an actual conversation on the phone or online in lieu of going to Ohio, this subject is DOA..
Up to you but I don't see the point in pushing this further without co operation from both sides. We tried....

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.

Last edited by DrFootball; 03-31-2014 at 02:44 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This