Be Careful of Big Dawg Firearms
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Ohio Gun Forum > Be Careful of Big Dawg Firearms

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 02:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 54 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 86

Default Be Careful of Big Dawg Firearms

This Dayton OH based company, owned by Michael Gilbert, is a complete sham. I purchased a membership based on advertised plans to build a range by this summer. They have now closed their doors, their website and facebook page.

The owner says tough luck and the range is just indefinitely delayed. I know I was stupid to trust them, but wanted to make sure folks arent conned like I was.

Todays email exchange"
"On Monday, July 22, 2013, Big Dawg Firearms wrote:
As explained to someone else an investor is entitled to that information. You bought a membership. A membership and investor are two different things.

Call it what you like, we did not "steal" your money.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 22, 2013, at 4:04 PM, Mick Hitchcock <mickh52@gmail.com> wrote:

So you are really going to steal my money? Your store is closed, your facebook page is closed, your email site is closed --> a little more than a "delay". I didnt buy a product, I paid for a service which isnt being provided as promised. That is very, very different than returning an item bought at what used to be your store.

I invested $175 and now you are saying too bad. If you arent going to give me the money, then give me an explicit ischedule of your plans for the range - where it will be located, when will it be finished and what will it of. As an investor do you not believe I am owed that much?

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 3:59 PM, Big Dawg Firearms <bigdawgfns@gmail.com> wrote:
A couple points to make here

1. Yes there was a delay with the range, but that does not conclude "not following through" on the agreement.

2. We have a clearly marked sign hanging up that there are No Refunds, No Returns, No Exchanges. We have not issues refunds to anyone for anything in the past, present or future.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 22, 2013, at 1:25 PM, Mick Hitchcock <mickh52@gmail.com> wrote:

Mike

I would like a full refund of my range membership since you have not followed through with the agreement. Please get back to me as soon as possible

Mick Hitchcock

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-23-2013, 02:17 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

well that sucks! i'd be a little upset as well. not exactly a conjob, but i would say underhanded, dirty and very poor way od doing business.

i hope it works out for you. maybe take them to small claims court?

Old 07-23-2013, 02:33 AM   #3

Liked 743 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

If this is the place in Huber Hts (shopping center) , i was there in the spring, on one of my Dayton trips to visit my Brother. They had almost no inventory, no customer traffic, i was in there 2min, and knew they wouldnt be around long from the way the a55hat behind the counter talked to me like i was a retard right off the bat... Why would you deal with them anyway...? for that kind of money you could have a years membership at VRA, or Miami Valley Shooting Grounds. Both probably local to you, i have been to both and they seem like reputable, established funspots.....

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

People Like This 
Old 07-23-2013, 02:35 AM   #4
At least my puppy loves me.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1887 Times on 1045 Posts
Likes Given: 5676

Stuff Happens.

Now you get to decide whether it's worth it to pursue it any farther.

If you do, your future headaches could be cost you more in money and, of course.....headaches.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by readygirl View Post
If this is the place in Huber Hts (shopping center) , i was there in the spring, on one of my Dayton trips to visit my Brother. They had almost no inventory, no customer traffic, i was in there 2min, and knew they wouldnt be around long from the way the a55hat behind the counter talked to me like i was a retard right off the bat... Why would you deal with them anyway...? for that kind of money you could have a years membership at VRA, or Miami Valley Shooting Grounds. Both probably local to you, i have been to both and they seem like reputable, established funspots.....
When I started going there they were very friendly and then they offered this fantastic membership package and I fell into a "too good to be true" situation. You are right, we are blessed with having many other options in our area.

Just wanted folks to be aware that this guy is trouble - he may try to reopen but doing busy with him is a risk (as I learned)

Old 07-23-2013, 03:43 PM   #6

Liked 699 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 1107

I live near that store and went in a couple times. They were very proud of there merchandise and wanted way too much for just about everything they had in stock. Miami Valley Shooting grounds and Spring Valley Nature Preserve are close by and very nicely kept.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:16 AM   #7

Default Update on Big Dawg

Got a letter from Better Business Bureau and the company has ignored two request from the BBB to reply to my request. They gave them and Michael Gilbert an F rating. I may not get my money back, but I dont want him scamming any more people.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:22 AM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick3411 View Post
Got a letter from Better Business Bureau and the company has ignored two request from the BBB to reply to my request. They gave them and Michael Gilbert an F rating. I may not get my money back, but I dont want him scamming any more people.
very good to hear. most likely, you won't get a refund, but if people do their research into them through the BBB, maybe it will cost him some business or hopefully bankrupt him. sorry to hear it happened in the first place.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:15 PM   #9

Default Big Dawg Firearms reborn as Minotaur Firearms

Just wanted folks to know that the owner of Big Dawg Firearms, who ripped off multiple people in Dayton, has resurrected his business in Monroe OH.

Just be very cautious because there are many of us who regret ever having any dealings with Michael Gilbert.

Details: Minotaur Firearms & Supply, 17 American Way, Monroe

Old 09-18-2013, 02:46 PM   #10

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

This calls for a Class Action Law suite. Contact your states Attorney Generals office. Contact the BATFE regarding the use of the FFL to promote a scam. The Better Business Bureau is a "Paper Tiger".