Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > North Carolina Gun Forum > Visit from LEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 10:45 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall
The cops in my home town often did door checks on the businesses to see if they were locked. Yes a couple times I got calls to come lock up
But I just don't understand about excess gratitude for people that just do their jobs, whether it is a cop or waitress or store clerk or whatever? I say thanks but they are just doing the job they are paid for.
Maybe they shoulda just let you get taken for everything in the store, if it is your store you'd take a devastating loss, if not you may be out a job, lucky the le do check doors, which is not a requirement in most locals.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:49 PM   #12
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1278 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 592

I used to live in a Northern California town that changed it's police dept. to "local policing.". Each neighborhood had a sub-station with the same officers and management. The first time I called to complain about a rental house that had an unusual amount of gang activity, the officer at the other end of the phone said, "You wouldn't want to leave your name or address or phone number, would you?" in a kind of sarcastic tone.

"I'll leave my name, address, phone number and blood type if it'll get you to come out here!" I replied.

His tone got extremely excited as he turned away from the receiver and said, "Lieutenant, we've got a live one!!!" Three seconds later, I was on the phone with the leader of the sub-station. He told me that they can't do much with anonymous tips because even if they arrest someone, the "tipster" never wants to be on the record because they are afraid of reprisals if their information is on court records. I sat there a little stunned and then said, "I'm not going to worry about people that wear pants ten sizes too big going to the courthouse and looking me up."

Within a month, I had his direct line and cell phone. Together, within two years, we closed down the gang house, stopped a car theft ring and started the downfall of a local drug ring. I also stopped an officer and the city from a lawsuit by a gang member who claimed police brutality, all because I was willing to go on record and be involved.

The point is that police officers are people, just like us, who are doing an impossible job. If we can help them, and our community, we can make things better and find some new friends, too!

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 06-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #13

Liked 163 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
The cops in my home town often did door checks on the businesses to see if they were locked. Yes a couple times I got calls to come lock up
But I just don't understand about excess gratitude for people that just do their jobs, whether it is a cop or waitress or store clerk or whatever? I say thanks but they are just doing the job they are paid for.
Hummm...when you go out to eat dinner do you tip the server according to the quality of service?? If you get your meal and a drink they have done the job they are paid for did they not? The cop was doing his job as well.

I have a ton of money invested in my business. With that being said I would like to keep it and not give it away. If being overly thankful to the LEO for stopping by keeps him coming by to check on my place, well that is a win win for me. I might make a new friend and gain protection for my business at the same time.

Now look at the wage that most LEO's make compared to yours, now look at the odds of you getting killed doing your job verses a LEO's odds. How does that look? I know that they chose LE as a profession, and hope that they understood the dangers involved, but the pay seems low to me just like the military pay verses the Congressional reward system.

Sometimes a little gratitude goes a long way.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #14

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

"I say thanks"
Yes I tip the server as that is part/most of their pay. In my post I said that I said thanks. Personally I had some friends who were cops and firemen. I just don't put them on a pedestal. If I have interaction with anyone who does more than their job I try to show my gratitude. But I stand by what I said above. If you are hired to do a job then do your job. I will thank you for doing your job (as even that is becoming rare) but but I am not going to gush over the fact that you are just doing what you are paid for.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:23 PM   #15
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1278 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Hiwall,

This is not meant in any way to be derogatory towards you, just a comment on your post.

While I agree that most jobs are thankless and people do not receive any recognition for doing their day-to-day jobs other than a paycheck, it is also true that most jobs do not require running into burning buildings, noxious gas clouds, drug dens and TOWARDS the sound of gunfire. Yes, they do know the risks and could choose not to, but because these foolish people choose to do it for us, we don't have to and are safer for it.

The argument that tipping a waitress is a little apples/oranges: waitpeople have received tips for hundreds of years and are so part of our socioeconomic background that restaurant owners generally pay minimum wage to compensate for tips and therefore they are actually losing part of their expected income. The IRS even increases estimated income for waitpeople to tax them more for their unreported tips. This is one of the only systems in America where income is at least partially based on performance. Can you imagine if we did that with firefighters? "Oh, sorry, my house burned down because you were late, so you only get half your check this week.". Yeah, right! So the gratitude is for the fact that they are in deadly jobs so we are safer, and to me, there is nothing wrong with that. :-)

As an aside, my mother had a boss 50 years ago that never said one kind thing during the week, but when he handed out paychecks, he told each employee two words that reminded them of their place in the company, "We're Even." so given that or an occasional "Thank you," it benefits everyone more to be friendly.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 06-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
I remember Dad getting that call once; glad i wasn't the last one out.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:07 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1764 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by levelcross View Post
Working late last night at my shop to get a customers car fixed, I got a visit from the local LEO. He was just checking on my shop as he knew that the doors and lights are not usually open/on at this time of night. I offered him the .10 tour and a cup of coffee and thanked him several times for checking on my shop.

It is nice to know that they are out there to look after us.
Kudos to the officer. He saw something, he knew that it didn't belong in the normal scheme of things, and he checked it out. Kudos to you for your hospitality and attitude. I would bet he appreciated it as much as you did.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:59 PM   #18

Liked 163 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Doc, I think he did, he stopped by on his day off just to say Hi. We talked for a few and we walked out to the range behind my shop, he liked some of the more unusual targets I have, like the swinging 55gal. plastic drum and the car doors.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:55 PM   #19
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2008 Times on 1090 Posts
Likes Given: 724

I think it's important that we honor people for who they are and what they do, rather than just look at them as their paycheck is the thanks they are given. That just makes people numbers, and numbers are expendable. When society loses the ability to say thank you regardless of whether or not there is some other compensation involved, society breaks down.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 06-12-2012, 06:51 PM   #20

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Very true,, ^^^^^^^^^^^^^