TV stations publishes CCW permit holder's info
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > North Carolina Gun Forum > TV stations publishes CCW permit holder's info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2012, 06:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Default TV stations publishes CCW permit holder's info

Originally posted in the legal and activism and was asked to post here. Heads up on your info being published by a NC TV station

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/tv-publishes-nc-ccw-database-68457/#post873982

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-18-2012, 06:56 PM   #2

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

I posted this in the other thread...

Emails have been sent...pre written letters, easy peasy, definitely for the best that way... so pissed. To those who visit this thread, please take the time to copy and paste email addy's and pre-written letters from the ammoland link...takes one minute, literally.

It'll be interesting to see what replies I get...if any...I'll post them if I do...

Thanks again Gunny

Old 07-23-2012, 09:41 PM   #3

I got some cookie cutter email response...they make it pretty apparent that they got a lot of 'hate mail'...[facepalm]...here's the link they included...

http://www.wral.com/wral-tv/blogpost/11339319/

They seem to have their minds made up...and they're all registered Democrats...who knew???

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 07-23-2012, 10:37 PM   #4

The email I got...

Thank you for your email. As you can imagine, this matter has created a vigorous response from all sides of the issue. Due to the volume of correspondence, we cannot respond to every one but would politely refer you to the comments of WRAL’s general manager at this link.

http://www.wral.com/wral-tv/blogpost/11339319/

In no way does this mean your voice has not been heard. We read every email and listen to every phone message, and will continue to do so. Also, as an organization, we will continue to discuss our viewers’ concerns. What we ask of you is civility in how you exercise your First Amendment rights.

Thank you

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 07-25-2012, 11:08 AM   #5

Liked 695 Times on 380 Posts
Likes Given: 1451

From this morning's paper:
Gun-rights group pressures TV station after report
RALEIGH -- The debate over guns often sparks raw emotion and lays down a sharp dividing line, but for a Raleigh TV station, it has become personal and financial.

In response to a WRAL report on concealed-weapons permits that included a searchable database, a North Carolina gun-rights organization has launched a campaign against the reporter and his supervisors and applied pressure to the station’s advertisers.

The incident demonstrates the prickliness of examining gun-related issues even before the shooting in Colorado stirred fresh debate. It also exposes tensions that can arise between advocates of the First Amendment and its protections of free speech and supporters of the Second Amendment with its right to bear arms.
Grass Roots North Carolina, described on its website as “North Carolina’s only ‘no compromise’ gun rights organization,” has not quieted its campaign against WRAL in the wake of the killings at the Aurora, Colo., movie theater.

Paul Valone, the organization’s president, said the group has a long-standing policy that it will take economic action against any media outlet that divulges information about gun owners that group members think should remain private.

Valone first urged WRAL to take down the database that allows users to find out if people who live nearby have gun permits. A searcher looking at a particular town or city will see the streets where gun-permit holders live but won’t see the name or specific address of the permit holder.

When their effort to have the site taken down failed, Valone turned to his organization’s email alert network, urging more than 50,000 people on the list to deliver a message to Mark Binker, the multimedia investigative reporter who posted the information, his bosses and the station’s advertisers.

“In an apparent attempt to shame gun owners, some media outlets have a history of publishing the names of gun purchasers.” Valone said in one alert. “But that was many years ago, before the advent of the Internet. Things are now far more reciprocal. So let’s talk a bit about reporter Mark Binker, the apparent engineer of the piece to reveal concealed handgun permit-holders.”

Valone posted lots of information about Binker culled from websites and social media sites, including photos of the reporter’s wife and children.

Valone cautioned people not to harass Binker. “BE POLITE, DO NOT THREATEN, and CALL OR EMAIL ONLY ONCE!” the alert states with capital letters for emphasis.

Here is the posted link to the complete article above (which was mainly the same old, same old debate of pro vs anti):
Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/07/25/2218895/gun-rights-group-pressures-tv.html#storylink=cpy

Last edited by NC1760; 07-25-2012 at 11:16 AM.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:06 PM   #6

Liked 163 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Thanks silverado for the link, I sent the emails and forwarded the link to my friends that will help out. This is so back handed that it is stupid. If they want to help out publish a data base that lists all of the convicted felons who are arrested with a firearm, all of the convicted child molesters, rapists not the legal gun owners.

I know the first Amendment gives them the right to publish this list, I just feel it is an attack on us and that my friends pisses me OFF.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:19 PM   #7

Liked 1739 Times on 898 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

I usually prefer to stay out of other state's buisness, but the thought occured to me; Has anybody 'published' a list in the media of those home owners who do NOT have guns in the house? Or at least not registered ones anyway? Wouldn't be that be the obvious response. Shouldn't be that difficult to determine if there is a list of those that do.

Last edited by Vincine; 07-26-2012 at 05:22 PM.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #8

Liked 695 Times on 380 Posts
Likes Given: 1451

Quote:
Originally Posted by levelcross View Post
This is so back handed that it is stupid. If they want to help out publish a data base that lists all of the convicted felons who are arrested with a firearm, all of the convicted child molesters, rapists not the legal gun owners.

I know the first Amendment gives them the right to publish this list, I just feel it is an attack on us and that my friends pisses me OFF.
They do publish a listing of offenders. Here is the link: http://sexoffender.ncdoj.gov/ ....and yes, being a parent I check it often. But back to the subject at hand.... Please know that names, addresses and permit or phone numbers ARE NOT listed in the results. Only the area (street, road) town or city, when the CCW was issued and when it expires. It's like they came right up to a certain point as far as they could legally and went no further... My question at this point is why did they even bother then?.... IMHO it was to see IF they could provoke gun owners into a fight... or see if they could make someone do something stupid. Trust me... this is not the end of this issue. Stay guys.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:39 PM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 772 Times on 567 Posts
Likes Given: 225

Some time back the IL states attny. Lisa Madigan was going to publish all the info on those who have an F.O.I.D. card (firearms owner ID). Police are the only ones with access. There was an outcry and it did not happen. A lot of the responses were do it, send them on down, we are ready to make lemonaid out of the lemon.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Old 07-27-2012, 04:12 PM   #10

Likes Given: 6

NC1760, they could have legally published everything down to your doorstep if they wanted to. In fact in some cases there were full addresses listed, including some apartment numbers. They did say they removed them so there are no more full addresses or apartment numbers.

Last edited by Hurricane; 07-27-2012 at 04:28 PM.