Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > North Carolina Gun Forum > is NC an open carry state?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2012, 03:07 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 940 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 509

We got a place in Fair Field Harbor , I freaking hate New bern , but as to open carry in Nc it is legal , If the towns are funny about it just pull you shirt over it , hell I carried in DC and never caught slack but damn it was risky !
And Chapel Hill I would avoid altogether , it is radical liberal whacko central . I refuse to go there

Gentlemen , we have lost speed and therefore time , precious time , which can not be regained once lost . I have absolutely no sympathy for any of you fecculant maggots nor the patience to pretend otherwise , Gentlemen , I wash my hands of this madness .

Omnem dimittite spem, o vos intrantes
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:35 AM   #22

Liked 663 Times on 366 Posts
Likes Given: 1360

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMarine View Post
And Chapel Hill I would avoid altogether , it is radical liberal whacko central . I refuse to go there
Agree... the cops there have fur-lined handcuffs too... but to get to the Cat's Cradle to see a decent bad perform I sometimes have to make the trek. I carry there (covered of course) and don't have a problem. Also... I'm a NC State (Wolfpack) alum... as is my beautiful Wife and Father-In-Law so I understand. Speaking of which... just a heads up... IF you open carry from NC (where it's legal) into SOUTH Cakalackee (where it is currently not oddly enough & my InLaws live in Bluffton SC )... have your CCW permit handy (they do recognize it) and cover it. http://www.opencarry.org/sc.html

Last edited by NC1760; 06-14-2012 at 11:52 AM.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:38 PM   #23

Yea from what i have heard , in sc if you have one in the car , youd better not tell them . No helmet laws but they seem kinda queer on the gun issue for some reason . Act decent and dont draw attention to yourself and you can carry about any where as long as its concealed . I have to use it ill deal with the legal matters later so long as the family and i are still live .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Gentlemen , we have lost speed and therefore time , precious time , which can not be regained once lost . I have absolutely no sympathy for any of you fecculant maggots nor the patience to pretend otherwise , Gentlemen , I wash my hands of this madness .

You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:27 AM   #24

Quote:
Yea from what i have heard , in sc if you have one in the car , youd better not tell them . No helmet laws but they seem kinda queer on the gun issue for some reason . Act decent and dont draw attention to yourself and you can carry about any where as long as its concealed . I have to use it ill deal with the legal matters later so long as the family and i are still live .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6
I like you... You sound reasonable and level headed. In all honesty though, I keep my CCW permit and driver's license together in a separate ID case from my wallet so when asked for it by LEO there is little question about informing them. At that point the next question is "Do you have..." but (unless they’re a pinhead) they should realize I'm one of the good guys and not a perp. I think it's important for their safety (and ultimately) mine. I do agree with you about how you act and going below the radar. I've stated this before (and this is my opinion) that open carry is not smart carry. 1) takes away any element of surprise... especially when you might need it most. 2) LEO's are only human and situations & circumstances can be misinterpreted leading to them drawing down on you.... or worse, being shoot... and 3) it scares people (I know I know "We need to educate" or "My right to...") but with what most people see in the media and in "entertainment" (and I use that term loosely these days) you can at least see their side of it.... and maybe a less militant stand can change someone's perception. Especially when a CCW holder is in the right place at the right time and could possibly save a life or two. That's the reason I carry... for the ultimate advantage should the worst case scenario happen... to possibly save my life, my family and friends and maybe even other innocent strangers. Not to be a tough guy, look for trouble or play cowboy. We have too many of those out there already.... some of them wearing badges too.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:44 PM   #25

I also dislike open carry , to me it kinda puts out a look at me , im bad ass .
I will put it in my pocket or just put my shirt tail over it . I carry a taurus pt111 limited edition 9mm , pretty small gun but out of my 35 + guns I am the most proficient with that one . I cant hit a snake with any of my other pistols , full size or compact but put that lil taurus in my hand and its game over , its more accurate than its big brother the pt92 AND the berreta af92 .
I hardly ever carry on me but the tahoe always has a arsenal , I carry the ak , taurus and the 870 everywhere i go .
Who rides with a full up AK anyway ? lol

Old 06-15-2012, 04:29 PM   #26

Quote:
I will put it in my pocket or just put my shirt tail over it . I carry a taurus pt111 limited edition 9mm , pretty small gun but out of my 35 + guns I am the most proficient with that one . I cant hit a snake with any of my other pistols , full size or compact but put that lil taurus in my hand and its game over , its more accurate than its big brother the pt92 AND the berreta af92 .
I hardly ever carry on me but the tahoe always has a arsenal , I carry the ak , taurus and the 870 everywhere i go .
Who rides with a full up AK anyway ? lol
Well you know what they say out in Wyoming.. "Your carry piece is so you can get to the truck and get your BIG gun!".. I carry a Ruger P95 9mm in the Fall and Winter when I wear a coat and can conceal a little better... Spring and Summer I carry a Radom P65 in 9X18 Makrov (and yes, I bulk order the ammo) because of the size and punch.... and it was $140 instead of the $350 the dealers wanted for a Ruger LC9 (which is also a great little carry piece). If you can't guess... I'm a little on the cheap side. Call it the scot in me!!
But back to the subject at hand... Yes, NC is an open carry state (w/ local exceptions) but it is also a very friendly conceal carry state... So if you can, my advice is get your CCW permit, put on your weapon securely, cover it up and then just do what you do on a daily basis and enjoy the nice fuzzy feeling of confidence you'll carry inside.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:42 AM   #27

In general, North Carolina is an open carry state. Some municipalities such as Cary and Chapel Hill have ordinances against open carry. Then there is that niggling old law "Going Armed to the Terror of the Public" which has a lot of weasel words. In short, a LEO can cause you problems, though it is unlikely that you would actually be convicted under that statute. The "State of Emergency" exception (can't go armed during a declared "State of Emergency" read hurricane or even snowstorm) has recently been struck down by Federal Court Judge Mac Howard in the case of Bateman vs. Purdue.

Best advice is to get a Concealed Handgun Permit. You may then carry a concealed handgun in places where even open carry is prohibited, but beware: The permit applies to handguns only, not other "dirk, daggers, bowie knives, brass knuckles, etc.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:46 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tertullus View Post
IThe permit applies to handguns only, not other "dirk, daggers, bowie knives, brass knuckles, etc.
Well crap then!!... "CLUNK", "CHINK", "THUD" and many other sounds of things hitting the floor.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:09 AM   #29

I wonder . If your in a ongoing dispute with a person and have informed them both written and verbally not to come on to your property and they do so any way , I wonder how much flak youd catch for forcing them to leave at gun point?
After all if you had told them all that and they still come over , you could say it would be safe to assume they ment harm ? off topic but close enough

I was in the harley place the other day and the saleman told me to cover up or take to the car .... It was in my pocket and the mag was barely showing . Said I was in a public place ????? wtf was that about ? he could lost a sale over that

Last edited by MobileMarine; 06-20-2012 at 12:11 AM.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:36 AM   #30

Liked 1956 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4283

Quote:
I wonder . If your in a ongoing dispute with a person and have informed them both written and verbally not to come on to your property and they do so any way , I wonder how much flak youd catch for forcing them to leave at gun point?
After all if you had told them all that and they still come over , you could say it would be safe to assume they ment harm ? off topic but close enough

I was in the harley place the other day and the saleman told me to cover up or take to the car .... It was in my pocket and the mag was barely showing . Said I was in a public place ????? wtf was that about ? he could lost a sale over that
I dunno man, only skin it if you're gonna use it. You can get one of those P.I.T.A no contact orders but I wouldn't take the chance drawing down like that if I knew it was just for the visual... even on my own property. Maybe light 'em up with a paintball gun? Still illegal to do that but it gets the point across...just my .02

Was this Ray Price you were in? Never figured those guys for hopolophobes...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting