is NC an open carry state?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > North Carolina Gun Forum > is NC an open carry state?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 03:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default is NC an open carry state?

hey guys noob here i'm from Texas but currently stationed in NC.

i called the craven county sheriffs department recently and was hoping they could shed some light on open carrying in New Bern NC. After some research with google i presumed that NC is a traditional open carry state, and asked the LEO on the phone if it is alright to open carry in New bern NC, he began to berate me and told me that in order to open carry i had to be a law enforcement official ect... in conclusion he basically told me that i have to have a conceal carry permit in order to carry. i'm just trying to get the facts straight, i heard in Chapel Hill you are not allowed to open carry there, which is why i specifically called and asked about New Bern, which is where i live close to.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-30-2012, 03:55 AM   #2
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7174 Times on 4318 Posts
Likes Given: 8753

I would go online and check on the laws for the state. Log on to their department of justice.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I would go online and check on the laws for the state. Log on to their department of justice.
are .org websites reliable? i gained my knowledge off of this website http://www.opencarry.org/nc.html

Old 03-30-2012, 04:03 AM   #4

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Here's an article you may find interesting...

http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/06/21/543334/in-nc-you-can-let-your-gun-show.html

It includes a link to any questions you may have about OC. (opencarry.org)

Yes, NC is an open carry state, there is one exeption to my knowledge and that is Cary...go figure, can't carry in Cary...

Whoever told you that you needed a CCW to carry, or had to be LE is a yahoo...it's just not true.

You can also check the here for more info..

.http://www.ncsheriffs.org/images/2007%20NC%20Firearms%20Laws%20Pub.pdf

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 03-30-2012, 04:04 AM   #5
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7174 Times on 4318 Posts
Likes Given: 8753

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03cobrah View Post
are .org websites reliable? i gained my knowledge off of this website http://www.opencarry.org/nc.html
If it's the official website of the state, then I think it is reliable. I would look at the DOJ site for the state you live in.

Just curious, why open carry?

Old 03-30-2012, 04:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
If it's the official website of the state, then I think it is reliable. I would look at the DOJ site for the state you live in.

Just curious, why open carry?
got into a little discussion with a co worker on open carry in New Bern NC, he was telling me that open carry is allowed in NC but not in New Bern which I still think is false. so i decided to contact the sheriffs department and get to the bottom of it when i got put on blast by a LEO. i specifically remember asking the question and even went as far as to ask him again just to make sure there wasn't a communication issue. long story short he got pissed and told me basically that i have to get CCW. i personally would like to conceal carry i don't want to draw attention to myself in any way. thank you for your replies, i am trying my best to learn my rights an to exercise them when needed.

PS: i would just like to state that i was by no means rude to the LEO and have been respectful the whole time.

Last edited by 03cobrah; 03-30-2012 at 04:30 AM.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:35 AM   #7

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

If you're going to be stationed here for a while, it would be in your best interest to get your CCW. I would think the military would have some sort of exemption...

Town laws vary, some local sheriffs are a funny bunch of squirrels, it'd be best to have all your ducks in a row first...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 03-30-2012, 04:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
If you're going to be stationed here for a while, it would be in your best interest to get your CCW. I would think the military would have some sort of exemption...

Town laws vary, some local sheriffs are a funny bunch of squirrels, it'd be best to have all your ducks in a row first...
yah i assume town laws very which is why i called and asked but he stated, all of NC lol. kind of pissed me off especially since i'm trying to do everything by the book and not get in trouble with the law. i get out soon so i will be moving back to TX and get my CCW and be done hopefully lol.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:55 AM   #9

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Be careful with this. It sounds like you could be dealing with some antigunners. These idiots could charge you with some firearms violation. Anyone who is charged with any firearms violation can have problems buying guns or even getting a CCW in your home state. You may consider waiting until you get back to Texas. Just a thought.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:25 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8928 Times on 3868 Posts
Likes Given: 1398

http://www.ncrpa.org/ccwfaq.htm

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.