Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > New York Gun Forum > Where do you shoot?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #1
bkt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1302 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Default Where do you shoot?

Shooting on "public" land anywhere near me is risky since even the DEC can't definitively say one way or the other whether it's legal. (I placed about a dozen calls and spoke to a bunch of people. I got told everything from "sure, go ahead" to "no, there's no shooting except hunting during season with a permit" to "go ahead, but don't be surprised if a cop shows up".)

So I shoot on a friend's private land and at a club. But it sure would be nice to be able to drive to a remote area and break out the .22 or AR.

Is shooting OK on public land in NYS where you are?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-19-2012, 06:56 AM   #2
No Longer a NY Resident.

Liked 1031 Times on 667 Posts
Likes Given: 5294

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
Shooting on "public" land anywhere near me is risky since even the DEC can't definitively say one way or the other whether it's legal. (I placed about a dozen calls and spoke to a bunch of people. I got told everything from "sure, go ahead" to "no, there's no shooting except hunting during season with a permit" to "go ahead, but don't be surprised if a cop shows up".)

So I shoot on a friend's private land and at a club. But it sure would be nice to be able to drive to a remote area and break out the .22 or AR.

Is shooting OK on public land in NYS where you are?
I never had to ask about public land. I have acess to 3 farms, two private camps, and 2 local rod and guin clubs. I like the farms best, my payment for use is to help out with haying, planting, fixes, harvest, and the livestock. In exchange I get hunting land, a place to camp, a shooting range in good weather, horses to ride, and the ocasional Sunday supper. Life is good.

I think the responses are different on the DEC lands because each place is run differently. The ones near me don't even allow hunting or shooting on them. If you go to the other end of Chautauqua Co. some of the state lands have different rules. It tend to vary from place to place.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Last edited by kfox75; 02-19-2012 at 07:03 AM.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:39 PM   #3

Liked 972 Times on 645 Posts
Likes Given: 532

i also think it varies by land plot. not positive though... i have three places i shoot. a rod n gun club les than a mile from my house.. my church.. 10 minutes away. my sisters. where i do most of my hunting is 1 hour away

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:26 AM   #4

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

I own 59 acres in Ulster/Sullivan Counties and do a lot of my shooting there. I'm moving to PA ASAP and it's for sale, if anyone's interested PM me for details.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Old 02-23-2012, 12:12 AM   #5

My son shoots on private property, at 3 local farms.