Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   New York Gun Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f145/)
-   -   Transporting long guns within NYS, what is the law? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f145/transporting-long-guns-within-nys-what-law-58643/)

TheNYResistance 02-24-2012 04:15 AM

Transporting long guns within NYS, what is the law?

I've taken my shotgun to a local range several times put it in a soft case (let's call it a bag" and the ammo was in original boxes. Never got stopped, but was that legal? Ammo was with the gun in the trunk.

I know handguns need card cases for both gun and ammo, plus they have to be locked and in the trunk, same for long guns?

I want to take my rifles to a range in Goshen for some target practice. Don't want any trouble.

Will post another thread on trunkless cars like SUVs and NYS.

kfox75 02-24-2012 07:58 AM

Unloaded and out of reach of the driver and passengers, with the action open for long guns in NY State. Safe journey laws apply. Locked in case and locked in trunk, stay in area for less than 24 hours for NYC, any firearm. Also must be left in your trunk if you are staying overnight in the city. Hope this helps.

Brennan16 02-24-2012 08:22 AM

I use to live in upstate NY and was headed to the range one day. En route we got stopped by a road block of police and DOC. There was a prison break and they had the road closed looking in vehicles. I had probably 6 long guns laid across the rear seats (they were folded down) in my SUV. You should have seen the cop jump when he peered in through the rear tinted windows...HILARIOUS. My best friend was in the car behind me headed to the same place.

The officers told both my friend and myself, "if you see them, shoot them".

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

kfox75 02-24-2012 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brennan16 (Post 718806)
I use to live in upstate NY and was headed to the range one day. En route we got stopped by a road block of police and DOC. There was a prison break and they had the road closed looking in vehicles. I had probably 6 long guns laid across the rear seats (they were folded down) in my SUV. You should have seen the cop jump when he peered in through the rear tinted windows...HILARIOUS. My best friend was in the car behind me headed to the same place.

The officers told both my friend and myself, "if you see them, shoot them".

LMAO! Thanks Brennan. My monitor is now cover in diet root beer!:D

Brennan16 02-24-2012 10:40 PM

I'm serious

kfox75 02-25-2012 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brennan16 (Post 719340)
I'm serious

I know. I have several friends who are LEOs in my area, and I've had similar things happen (or have heard the stories) to me in the past. My grandfather is a retired NYS Trooper and he and grandma were ran a foster home for 30 years so most of the LEOs in my area know me for the right reasons. I go to the range with most of them, and the wife and I go out for coffee with them and some of the local judges.

A few years back I was working on my ATV when I had to call 911 over a disturbance at the neighbors. An ex of my neighbor came over to his house and punched his mother while she was there to pick up her son for visitation. The dispatcher connected me to the SGT at the local PD who was en route to the scene. This is someone I hang out with from time to time, and he told me to " keep them there any way you can." I wound up pinning her car in between my neighbor's stepdad's truck and my own. The step father was on the phone with the dispatcher at that moment and told her " Tell them to take their time. My neighbor has them blocked in." Kinda nice to get thank yous from six people, 3 of them LEOs, for something you would have done anyway. How could I not do it, his mom is an old friend of my parents, and the cop told me to!:D

Brennan16 02-25-2012 10:15 AM

Gotta love it.

I'm a PI and my wife is an LEO. We see and hear some crazy stuff.