Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   New York Gun Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f145/)
-   -   Sept 2012 Manhattan Community Board Public Hearing (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f145/sept-2012-manhattan-community-board-public-hearing-68652/)

mrreynolds 07-21-2012 03:31 PM

Sept 2012 Manhattan Community Board Public Hearing
 
In New York State, the police have no duty to provide police protection to any particular individual. The Courts in New York have held that "generally, a municipality may not be held liable for the failure to provide police protection because the duty to provide such protection is owed to the public at large, rather than to any particular individual" (Conde v. City of New York, 24 AD3d 595, 596 [2005]; see Cuffy v. City of New York, 69 NY2d 255, 260 [1987]).

As the Chair of the Public Safety Committee of Manhattan Community Board 12. I will be holding a Public Hearing in September 2012 on NYS Senate Bill S1427 & S1863 with an emphasis on self-defense education & firearm training for women.

Bill S1427 PURPOSE: This proposed constitutional amendment would provide within the New York State Constitution for a right of the people to keep and bear arms for traditionally recognized purposes

Bill S1427 PURPOSE: This legislation would remove a gun licensing officer's ability to deny or restrict the issuance of licenses to law abiding citizens who have successfully undergone the state's strict application process
and appropriate New York State and Federal Bureau of Investigations fingerprint background check required under law. In addition, this bill will conform New York State law to current ATF requirements regarding background checks for firearms transfers.

September 12, 2012 at 6:30 PM at Isabella, 515 Audubon Avenue New York, NY 10040. If you live in New York State feel free to take a look at the information that I will be presenting as well as sign my on-line petition included at the link below. I hope that you will come out and support me as I support you. Fraternally.

http://cavalierknight.com/documents.html

dog2000tj 07-21-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrreynolds (Post 876854)
Greetings, I am the Chair of the Public Safety Committee of my local Community Board in Manhattan, NYC. As such I will be holding a Public Hearing in September 2012 on self defense and NYS Senate Bill S1427:

PURPOSE: This proposed constitutional amendment would provide within the New York State Constitution for a right of the people to keep and bear arms for traditionally recognized purposes

RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS

SECTION 1. THE PEOPLE SHALL HAVE THE RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS FOR THE DEFENSE OF THEMSELVES AND THE STATE, FOR LAWFUL HUNTING AND RECREATIONAL USE, AND FOR ANY OTHER LAWFUL PURPOSES, AND NO COUNTY, MUNICIPALITY OR OTHER POLITICAL SUBDIVISION OF THE STATE SHALL REGULATE, IN ANY WAY, AN INCIDENT OF THE RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS.

I have not yet set a date and location as I am waiting to see which of our large meeting spaces will be available. If you live in or near NYC feel free to take a look at the information that I will be presenting. I will update all concerned when I lock in a date and time.

LINK: http://cavalierknight.com/documents.html

I commend you on your efforts. But the language used in the bill is poorly chosen (see highlighted section). By wording it in such a way you are leaving the door open for misinterpretations, alterations and/or limitations.

There is a better way to word your bill than what is proposed ...

Quote:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
:cool:

vincent 07-21-2012 05:35 PM

Agree with Dog...that section jumped out at me too but he articulated the thought much better than I could...

And +100 to you for your efforts, I wish you the best of luck...

mrreynolds 07-21-2012 05:40 PM

Thanks but you'll have to take that up with the NYS Senators that created that Bill I'm just the messenger.

dog2000tj 07-21-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrreynolds (Post 876994)
Thanks but you'll have to take that up with the NYS Senators that created that Bill I'm just the messenger.

Sorry to dissappoint but I live in VT, where gun laws are lax and we have very little crime :p

Hmmmm ..... VT has lax gun laws yet low crime. NYC has strict gun laws and rampant crime ... odd how that is :rolleyes:


anyhow, kudos for your efforts and best of luck :)

mrreynolds 07-21-2012 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dog2000tj (Post 877006)
Sorry to dissappoint but I live in VT, where gun laws are lax and we have very little crime :p

Hmmmm ..... VT has lax gun laws yet low crime. NYC has strict gun laws and rampant crime ... odd how that is :rolleyes:


anyhow, kudos for your efforts and best of luck :)

One of the points I will be making as well! Thanks.

dog2000tj 07-21-2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrreynolds (Post 877011)
One of the points I will be making as well! Thanks.

You can make a very dramatic point in support of 2A ... go here (my apologies in advance) - http://www.bradycampaign.org/stategunlaws/ and use their own data against their argument ;) I would make sure to point out where you got the info from :D

The states that rank the highest (according to the Brady Campaign) also have the highest crime rate per capita. The state that rank the worst, have the lowest crime rate per capita ...


odd how that is :rolleyes:

mrreynolds 07-21-2012 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dog2000tj (Post 877029)
You can make a very dramatic point in support of 2A ... go here (my apologies in advance) - http://www.bradycampaign.org/stategunlaws/ and use their own data against their argument ;) I would make sure to point out where you got the info from :D

The states that rank the highest (according to the Brady Campaign) also have the highest crime rate per capita. The state that rank the worst, have the lowest crime rate per capita ...


odd how that is :rolleyes:

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood a beautiful day so won't you be good...I love it thanks again

dog2000tj 07-21-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrreynolds (Post 877036)
It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood a beautiful day so won't you be good...I love it thanks again

One thing I would shy away from is using any current events involving firearms in your argument. More often than not the information presented by the media is not accurate and emotions are still strong, even a year or 2 later.

Stick to older incidents and point out the fallacy of their argument with facts, and updates after the fact. One case in point is John Hinckey - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hinckley,_Jr. His actions are a direct contributing factor the existence of the Brady Campaign Against Gun Violence. A little note most people do not no - he never served 1 day of jail time and is now allowed unsupervised leaves from the mental faciltiy where he has been housed.

Quote:

On June 17, 2009, a Federal judge ruled that Hinckley would be given the ability to visit his mother for a dozen visits of ten days at a time, rather than six, spend more time outside of the hospital, and even have a driver's license.
The way to prevent gun violence is to enact strict punishments for the commitment of gun violence ... not restrictive laws on an inanimate object ;)

mrreynolds 07-21-2012 06:39 PM

My documentation is from scholars and lawyers and case law thanks


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:17 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.