Was refused 22 LR at my local Walmart for lack of a "license" - Page 8
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > New York Gun Forum >

Was refused 22 LR at my local Walmart for lack of a "license"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 03:49 PM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Default Wal-Mart just trying to protect themselves

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollygee View Post
Just guessing, but Walmart corp. probably knows that the clerks in the stores don't have a clue about federal or state laws so they have policies set up to avoid any chance of them making an illegal sale. Here, when they rang up ammo the register was set up to ask them for info as to use for the ammo & age of the buyer. Now, I think the bar code tells them if it is handgun ammo & if it can also be used in long guns, probably defaults to handgun & all they need to know is age. Thankfully, being Texas, they don't have to see permits.
I live in upstate New York (Erie county), our restrictions are about as hard as anyplace in the coutry... That being said. There are so many organizations just waiting for Wal-Mart to hiccup in some small way so they can take them to court, even their own employees. Every union, preservationist, eco-wackjob bloodsucking, ambulance chasing, political ofc or congress seeking lawyer that wants to make a name for themselves. The people at the counter are told what they have to do and are not given much choice whether they are managers or hourly associates. I have a son-in-law who is a manager. When it comes to ammo sales or alcohol, the corporation and the county sends secret shoppers in to test them, and it comes down to self-preservation. Imagine you are a mom or dad or college student and you are trying to make ends meet because your job you had at one the local factories that manufactured widgets or whatever, closed because we impose more taxes on companies here in NY than any other state than California. You get someone comes to the counter asking for ammo and you really dont know if they are a shopper or a stooge and you dont know anything about guns ammo or laws... As my son-inlaw says the company encourages employees to be as cautious as possible, because if you screw up you might not just get fired, you could be charged for selling to an undercover sherriff and not asking for the correct proof. I have an acquaintance who now has a criminal record for selling beer to an underage person who possessed illegal proof of age. The illegal proof was provided by the officer sitting outside as part of a sting operation... This acquaintance did not have the moey to fight the charges and the practice has since been changed but he still has the record... Anyone who thinks more government is the answer to our countries problem needs to come to western NY and see just how more govt. workers than private sector workers does for an economy. Especially when the govt workers make soooo much more than the people who pay for their salaries and benefits.
Sorry for the speech, I just see the issue a little differently than was stated in previous postings.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:55 PM   #72

Liked 229 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 450

I realize this is an old thread but since I see someone reawakened it this morning I would like to give a little bit of advice to folks concerning the idiotic stuff Walmart does, if this or any other stupid thing happens at a Walmart, call 1-800-WALMART and report the store's bonehead actions to the corporate, my wife and I have done this 3 times over different things and it does get results, you will have the store manager calling you within a week trying to straighten things out.
People Like This 
Old 01-02-2013, 01:12 AM   #73

Liked 88 Times on 56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorheadwayne

I live in upstate New York (Erie county), our restrictions are about as hard as anyplace in the coutry... That being said. There are so many organizations just waiting for Wal-Mart to hiccup in some small way so they can take them to court, even their own employees. Every union, preservationist, eco-wackjob bloodsucking, ambulance chasing, political ofc or congress seeking lawyer that wants to make a name for themselves. The people at the counter are told what they have to do and are not given much choice whether they are managers or hourly associates. I have a son-in-law who is a manager. When it comes to ammo sales or alcohol, the corporation and the county sends secret shoppers in to test them, and it comes down to self-preservation. Imagine you are a mom or dad or college student and you are trying to make ends meet because your job you had at one the local factories that manufactured widgets or whatever, closed because we impose more taxes on companies here in NY than any other state than California. You get someone comes to the counter asking for ammo and you really dont know if they are a shopper or a stooge and you dont know anything about guns ammo or laws... As my son-inlaw says the company encourages employees to be as cautious as possible, because if you screw up you might not just get fired, you could be charged for selling to an undercover sherriff and not asking for the correct proof. I have an acquaintance who now has a criminal record for selling beer to an underage person who possessed illegal proof of age. The illegal proof was provided by the officer sitting outside as part of a sting operation... This acquaintance did not have the moey to fight the charges and the practice has since been changed but he still has the record... Anyone who thinks more government is the answer to our countries problem needs to come to western NY and see just how more govt. workers than private sector workers does for an economy. Especially when the govt workers make soooo much more than the people who pay for their salaries and benefits.
Sorry for the speech, I just see the issue a little differently than was stated in previous postings.
I'm so glad I moved from NY to a freer state 2 1/2 years ago

Old 01-02-2013, 05:40 AM   #74
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg View Post
I realize this is an old thread but since I see someone reawakened it this morning I would like to give a little bit of advice to folks concerning the idiotic stuff Walmart does, if this or any other stupid thing happens at a Walmart, call 1-800-WALMART and report the store's bonehead actions to the corporate, my wife and I have done this 3 times over different things and it does get results, you will have the store manager calling you within a week trying to straighten things out.
agreed 100% !!!

it does work. corporate offices many times do not know what is going on locally unless people report problems. if no reports about the problems, they assume everything is going just fine. i too have used the 1-800-WALMART number in the past. it will usually get some results. the manager calls to straighten out the problem simply because if he doesn't get the problems resolved, he is possibly looking at a demotion and transfer.