Was refused 22 LR at my local Walmart for lack of a "license" - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > New York Gun Forum > Was refused 22 LR at my local Walmart for lack of a "license"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 01:53 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

There's been a lot of talk about Wally Whirled and ammo lately...
I bought some .45 ACP there this evening, first time buying ammo at wally's in years.
The only thing that was said to me, "do you have more shopping to do?"
Me, "yes"
Clerk, "I'll just stick this under the counter for you, I'm sure you don't want to carry around 150 rounds, it's kind of hefty..."
"Thanks man"

Guy didn't ask for an ID or anything. Just rang it up, punched in a date, and stuck it in the bag...

Old 02-22-2012, 04:04 AM   #12
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7174 Times on 4318 Posts
Likes Given: 8749

I buy almost all my ammo at WalMart and I've never had a problem.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:40 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 680 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 396

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
There's been a lot of talk about Wally Whirled and ammo lately...
Guy didn't ask for an ID or anything. Just rang it up, punched in a date, and stuck it in the bag...
Same for me. I bought a box of 30-30 and two boxes of .22 Magnum. The lady unlocked the case and handed it to me. Asked her if I had to pay for it there. She said "you can pay for it here or up front when you check out." I just put it in my cart and they rang it up with the bread and milk.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNYResistance
So I bought my first 10 22 at the orange county gun show last Sunday, good times. So off I go to buy cheap ammo at Walmart. The semi retarded guy asks if I have a license, I say, "do you mean a pistol permit" he says yes, and I say, well I want the ammo for a rifle. He correctly points out that the ammo can be used for pistols, but this is retarded. I know I'm using the word retarded a lot, but after a year of waiting for my pistol permit, in this crap state, that is the best word to describe them.

I ordered online from Cabelas and the ammo is on it's way with no issues so far. Fingers crossed.
When I purchased 22LR ammo at Walmart, the lady asked me what I was using it for, I said my rifle, she cashed me out. No further questions. I'm in RI by the way, another semi tough firearms regulating state. I suppose it depends on who you have behind the counter on any given day?

Old 02-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #15
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
so bkt, do you go to the gander mt. near market place mall? my best friend works behind the gun counter there
Yup, that's the one. I usually only ever buy ammo but they sometimes have some pretty good deals on old military rifles. (Rare, but it happens.)

Old 02-22-2012, 05:57 PM   #16
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

the only issue i have ever had when buying ammo at WalMart is our store requires you to pay for it in sporting goods. if i have other shopping to do, i just keep the receipt in my pocket and keep it handy and put the ammo in the buggy and go about my shopping. seems as of lately, in our WalMart, they have some people who work the sporting goods that seem to have some common sense about themselves. kind of rare, i know. there is one older lady who usually works sporting goods, that actually knows a little about firearms and ammo that is always very helpful. i just hope they don't move her into another department!

Old 02-22-2012, 11:16 PM   #17

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I try to buy all my ammo from a small local dealer, to hell with walmart. For larger volumes sometimes I go online to Ammoman or ammo to go etc. Our Dicks is retarded too about ammo and paranoid to the max about guns and letting you handle them. What is it with chain stores anyway? Support your local dealer and he'll be there when you need him.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
Vietnam Vet 1968 MCB 53 Danang

Old 02-23-2012, 12:10 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
Dick's Sporting Goods and Gander Mountain - both near me - don't ask for a handgun license to buy ammo. I'm pretty sure Bass Pro Shop doesn't, either. (A few exits away on the Thruway...haven't been there, yet.)

Wally World isn't worth much these days. The only thing made in America is ammo and you need to beg to get it. Screw 'em.

If the places mentioned above aren't near you, buy online like you did. You shouldn't have any problems.
Dick's Sporting Godds WILL ask to see your pistol permit IF you're buying pistol ammo. My son and myself bought several boxes of .45 acp ammo and the first thing the clerk asked for was a pistol permit. Gander Mt didn't require it.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:11 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
Yup, that's the one. I usually only ever buy ammo but they sometimes have some pretty good deals on old military rifles. (Rare, but it happens.)
Most of their ammo is way over priced. Biekirks is the place to go for ammo.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:13 AM   #20

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Nothing against our members from NY but.....NY CAN SUCK IT!!!!!!

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting