NYSRPA decision not to be at rally

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > New York Gun Forum > NYSRPA decision not to be at rally

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 09:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1743 Times on 901 Posts
Likes Given: 1343

Default NYSRPA decision not to be at rally

I thought many here would find this interesting:

New York --(Ammoland.com)- There is some discussion and finger pointing going on regarding the New York State Rifle & Pistol Associations (NYSRPA) decision not to be directly involved in anymore large rally’s; and rather than you hearing by rumor our reasons I thought I’d address the situation directly.

The NYSRPA Board of Directors has decided that our time, efforts and assets are better utilized in the following ways:
· Funding the SAFE Act Law Suit to overturn this terrible law.
· Registering voters.
· Educating non voters on the importance of their vote and getting them to the polls.
· Participating in small localized forums around the state where the message can be better heard.
· Supporting our local groups to have their voices heard.
· Supporting local grass root boots on the ground efforts.

After much discussion this decision was reached for the following reasons:
· Since the large rally of February 28, 2013 ensuing rallies have dwindled in size. Not because gun owners have lost interest but because we all work and it is expensive to take a day off, pay to come to Albany and still be ignored by the downstate liberal politicians.
· The Legislators already know we are disturbed, don’t care and will not repeal the SAFE Act just because we fill West Park.
· We are preaching to the choir. We have seen the same groups and the same people at every rally.
· The rally on April 1, 2014 includes Frackers, Right to Lifers and Land Owner Rights Groups. All worthy issues but not 2nd Amendment issues! We are a single issue advocacy group and our message becomes compromised with these other groups included.
· Our voices are becoming more contentious and threatening.

There have been many studies and surveys done regarding the population demographics of the people of this country and state our research tells us New York State is divided in this manner
Rabidly Anti-Gun 22%
Somewhere in between 46%
Avidly Pro Gun 32%

Fellow gun owners I submit this to you for your consideration. We will never convert the 22% rabid anti-gunners, we don’t have to convert the 32% avid pro gunners but we must convert a sizable portion of the 46% of those somewhere in between if we want to retain our 2nd Amendment Rights long term.

These are the soccer moms, the guys who say I’ve never shot a gun but would like to try it and the people worried about their safety. How do we do that? Not by standing on stage screaming obscenities at Cuomo and certainly at large rallies where people stand on stage, pound their chest and tell the attendees to prepare for war. That frightens the very people we want to attract to our side, the people who will insure 2nd Amendment Rights for our grandchildren.

The NYSRPA believes we do it through the methods outlined above and we welcome all to join with us.

Tom King
Cogito ergo sum ​​armati

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-04-2014, 09:37 PM   #2

Liked 390 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 1400

Hmm, well written full of good arguements...
But I wonder... in this society the folks who get what they want are the ones who scream loudly.

if we dont do it we wont get heard.

I am all about an activist at all times... internet, yahoo comments, rallies, getting out the vote of friends and donating to conservative causes.

I try to donate 10% of my aftertax income and spread it out between NRA, NAGR, GOA, numbersusa.com

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix

Last edited by bluez; 02-06-2014 at 10:43 PM.
WARFAB Likes This 
Old 02-06-2014, 04:55 PM   #3

Liked 37 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I think if the rallies are well organized and avoid any bad publicity, they have the potential to get noticed by the lawmakers we're trying to influence with minimal negative impact on the "somewhere in between" voters. If the rally is big enough then it will also get national media coverage and that will definitely be noticed by any NYS lawmakers who aspire to higher political office. At the same time it is pretty much a foregone conclusion that the media WILL do everything they can to bring negative attention to a pro-gun rally. Fortunately an inflated bill for grass seed is the best they could come up with after the last rally.

Many people are convinced that we won't get what we want through the polls because of how NYC votes. If those people are correct then the NYSRPA may be wasting their time on efforts to get out the vote.

SCOPE Memeber

Old 02-06-2014, 04:59 PM   #4

Liked 21 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I disagree with Tom King. If we don't voice our grievances the lawmakers and Cuomo will think we went away and submitted. Well, it's not the case and the whole state should see it.

The "loud" approach worked for homosexuals, illegal aliens etc. Why shouldn't it work for people defending a Constitutional Right?

FUAC, I'm going to Albany!

Old 02-06-2014, 05:05 PM   #5
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6175 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 6554

Im going to the next one Apr 1 if at all possible...

Old 02-06-2014, 06:04 PM   #6

I already requested the day off at work. I'll be there April 1st.

SCOPE Memeber
People Like This 
Old 02-12-2014, 01:39 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1679 Times on 1150 Posts
Likes Given: 589

When a large number of people gather you will always have a few bad actors. Lots of people are emotional about the second amendment as they should be. But the media will make these people poster children of why the SAFE act should stand. Nothing the media is doing is right or fair. I am sure all my friends in NY are aware life isn't fair.

The LGBT community can get away with a lot of bad actors because the media is on their side. No one sees the LGBT community as a threat because they are not visibly armed.

The SAFE act is so restrictive it cannot hold up in the supreme court. NY gun owners are going to have to be patient as cases brought forward wind their way through the courts. Unfortunately Obama is doing all he can to prevent any suits involving the RKBA from reaching the supreme court. He is not appointing judges in circuit courts so second ammendment and NSA cases cannot be heard. Not to mention all the executive orders that would be tied up or nullified in a circuit court. The upside is he isn't appointing judges who would strip us of all our rights, not just the RKBA.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

bluez Likes This 
Old 02-12-2014, 02:09 AM   #8

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

John Deer you are elected to bring your "White" Flag. Your surrender is emanate. The people who stand up and fight may not win but apologist don't have a chance. I am sure the Labor Unions in New York are funding the Left Wing Democrats. There are some on this forum who have divided allegiances.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:07 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1679 Times on 1150 Posts
Likes Given: 589

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
John Deer you are elected to bring your "White" Flag. Your surrender is emanate. The people who stand up and fight may not win but apologist don't have a chance. I am sure the Labor Unions in New York are funding the Left Wing Democrats. There are some on this forum who have divided allegiances.
Can you say anything that is not inflammatory? Apparently you can only read my post. You can't read the original post? No one is trying to run up a white flag. I guess you think going to Albany to have your words turned into anti gun sound bite is the best way to win?

I know one even better, lets alienate everyone who isn't totally on board with the republican platform. If you are not pro life we don't need you. If you think trickle down economics are a failure we don't need you. Tell me nightstalker is that your plan?

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 02-14-2014, 01:25 PM   #10

Ouch. Easy everyone. We're all in this together.

Perhaps I was incorrect in reading nitestalker's post as having a bit of sarcastic humor in it.

If history is any guide, eventually it will be clear that the monster of a government that we've created and fed will be the enemy of any who aren't in bed with it. Other differences of opinion will have less and less importance over time.

SCOPE Memeber