Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > New York Gun Forum > NYS pistol question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 09:25 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1096 Times on 711 Posts
Likes Given: 622

Default NYS pistol question

ive been searching and cant find any thing. any links you guys have?

the question:
NYS is a CCW state. i have my permit. i cant find anything about a pistol left in a vehicle.
say if i was carrying and had to enter a bank, or federal building. i would want to leave my gear behind. but i cant find any laws pertaining to or regarding this issue.

do you know?

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.
vtorres1963 Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-01-2012, 10:13 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Not from the state but generally speaking you are required to have the firearm locked up and ammo seperate.

I don't need No stinking signature.

dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 12-10-2012, 07:38 AM   #3
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1488 Times on 912 Posts
Likes Given: 7311

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
ive been searching and cant find any thing. any links you guys have?

the question:
NYS is a CCW state. i have my permit. i cant find anything about a pistol left in a vehicle.
say if i was carrying and had to enter a bank, or federal building. i would want to leave my gear behind. but i cant find any laws pertaining to or regarding this issue.

do you know?
JJ. The best advice I can give you is to talk to one of the Troopers at the local NYSP barracks. I myself have a lock box bolted to the floor of my truck, and located behind the seat. I unload, place the magazine in the door pocket, and lock my pistol in the box. Upon returning to my vehicle, I unlock the box, remove the mag from the door pocket, reload, and reset my gear after I am in the truck. To the best of my knowledge, unloaded in the locked glovebox is fine when you are not in the vehicle, but I am not a lawyer or a LEO. Check with your local LEOs, or maybe the pistol permit clerk. One or the other should be able to help you.

And yes, NY's laws can be very vague, and can be interpreted in several different ways sometimes. Concealed carry laws are especially unclear. By the way, If yoiu get a clear answer, pleas epost it so the rest of us know what it is. Thanks and best of luck.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 12-17-2012, 11:36 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

There's no law on leaving your gun in your car. I live in Orange county. When I got my permit they included a letter with info and it suggested not to leave your gun in your car without locking it up.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1607 Times on 838 Posts
Likes Given: 1298

Quote:
Originally Posted by kflo01 View Post
There's no law on leaving your gun in your car. I live in Orange county. When I got my permit they included a letter with info and it suggested not to leave your gun in your car without locking it up.
I don’t think there is a law either, but you are responsible for your firearm. Leaving it unsecured when it’s not being used by you may be construed as negligence, and probably will be considered negligence if it is used in a crime.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 12-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

No I agree its not responsible and the county clerk doesnt want you doing it as stated in their letter when you get your permit. They don't recommend it its just not a "law".

Old 12-24-2012, 01:14 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

try this link, maybe it will help shed some light for you.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56
FlBob518 Likes This 
Old 12-24-2012, 01:48 PM   #8

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Firearms laws vary from county to county in NY on top of all the state laws. Check with the local Sheriff's office on the transport requirements for the county you live in.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 02-07-2013, 05:27 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I work at the V.A. It was told by every employee, you're are not and I say again you are not allowed to carry a fire arm into any federal facility. You will have to check it in at the the police or security. I questioned a Buffalo Police Officer about his weapon while visiting a friend here. He replied that he was not aware and he would go talk to the officer downstairs so he would'nt get jammed up.
I then spoke with a seargent about it, he claimed they knew,which they did'nt and I brought it to the attention of the assistant director and he said they were not allowed to enter the building with out checking out there weapons. So do not attempt to enter a federal building with a weapon without checking it in.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:19 PM   #10

Even the Federal law that allows CCW in Federal Parks for persons CCW licensed in that particular State does not allow you to carry in any building in which Federal employees work. There are even signs on the restrooms indicating that you cannot carry in the building.

The NRA tooted this as a great law allowing CCWers to carry in Federal Parks, what they didn't tell you is this you have to hold it until you get home.