Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   New York Gun Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f145/)
-   -   NYS pistol question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f145/nys-pistol-question-75470/)

jjfuller1 11-01-2012 09:25 PM

NYS pistol question

ive been searching and cant find any thing. any links you guys have?

the question:
NYS is a CCW state. i have my permit. i cant find anything about a pistol left in a vehicle.
say if i was carrying and had to enter a bank, or federal building. i would want to leave my gear behind. but i cant find any laws pertaining to or regarding this issue.

do you know?

mountainman13 11-01-2012 10:13 PM

Not from the state but generally speaking you are required to have the firearm locked up and ammo seperate.

kfox75 12-10-2012 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjfuller1 (Post 998357)
ive been searching and cant find any thing. any links you guys have?

the question:
NYS is a CCW state. i have my permit. i cant find anything about a pistol left in a vehicle.
say if i was carrying and had to enter a bank, or federal building. i would want to leave my gear behind. but i cant find any laws pertaining to or regarding this issue.

do you know?

JJ. The best advice I can give you is to talk to one of the Troopers at the local NYSP barracks. I myself have a lock box bolted to the floor of my truck, and located behind the seat. I unload, place the magazine in the door pocket, and lock my pistol in the box. Upon returning to my vehicle, I unlock the box, remove the mag from the door pocket, reload, and reset my gear after I am in the truck. To the best of my knowledge, unloaded in the locked glovebox is fine when you are not in the vehicle, but I am not a lawyer or a LEO. Check with your local LEOs, or maybe the pistol permit clerk. One or the other should be able to help you.

And yes, NY's laws can be very vague, and can be interpreted in several different ways sometimes. Concealed carry laws are especially unclear. By the way, If yoiu get a clear answer, pleas epost it so the rest of us know what it is. Thanks and best of luck.

kflo01 12-17-2012 11:36 AM

There's no law on leaving your gun in your car. I live in Orange county. When I got my permit they included a letter with info and it suggested not to leave your gun in your car without locking it up.

Vincine 12-17-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kflo01 (Post 1054689)
There's no law on leaving your gun in your car. I live in Orange county. When I got my permit they included a letter with info and it suggested not to leave your gun in your car without locking it up.

I don’t think there is a law either, but you are responsible for your firearm. Leaving it unsecured when it’s not being used by you may be construed as negligence, and probably will be considered negligence if it is used in a crime.

kflo01 12-24-2012 01:07 PM

No I agree its not responsible and the county clerk doesnt want you doing it as stated in their letter when you get your permit. They don't recommend it its just not a "law".

drvsafe 12-24-2012 01:14 PM

try this link, maybe it will help shed some light for you.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

dog2000tj 12-24-2012 01:48 PM

Firearms laws vary from county to county in NY on top of all the state laws. Check with the local Sheriff's office on the transport requirements for the county you live in.

xd40man 02-07-2013 05:27 PM

I work at the V.A. It was told by every employee, you're are not and I say again you are not allowed to carry a fire arm into any federal facility. You will have to check it in at the the police or security. I questioned a Buffalo Police Officer about his weapon while visiting a friend here. He replied that he was not aware and he would go talk to the officer downstairs so he would'nt get jammed up.
I then spoke with a seargent about it, he claimed they knew,which they did'nt and I brought it to the attention of the assistant director and he said they were not allowed to enter the building with out checking out there weapons. So do not attempt to enter a federal building with a weapon without checking it in.

Longtrain 02-09-2013 05:19 PM

Even the Federal law that allows CCW in Federal Parks for persons CCW licensed in that particular State does not allow you to carry in any building in which Federal employees work. There are even signs on the restrooms indicating that you cannot carry in the building.

The NRA tooted this as a great law allowing CCWers to carry in Federal Parks, what they didn't tell you is this you have to hold it until you get home.