Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > New York Gun Forum > I am OUT!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2014, 03:41 AM   #11
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1489 Times on 913 Posts
Likes Given: 7330

Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
Welcome to Penn's Woods.

You're gonna like it here.

OC is legal statewide and after you've attained PA citizenship, take your filled out form, and $20.00 to your county sheriff, get your pic taken and wait about 60 days for your CCW.

Here's your site to find the CCW form and instructions: www.eriecountygov.org/sheriff

And I don't buy guns in bunches but I've never even been "delayed" on insta-check.
Except for handguns (which have to be added to you posession permit in NY prior to pick up) I have never waited more than about 2 minutes for my background check to go through. Can't say I've always been good, but I made d@mn sure I was good at it!

I already have my Non Resident CCW, which will expire next January. Once my residency requirement is met, the wife and I both will go in and get our resident CCWs. Thanks for the link. It is now on the book marks bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
Congratulations!

You've escaped from New York!
Yep. The only way I could be happier about it is if the first load leaving was the last, but I did promise the wife that we would stay up here during the week until the end of the school year. it's only fair to her and the daughter, and it will give us time to put cash aside to float us through the job search once we are settled in to the new place. Since I am on disability, I can do some of the packing while they are at the school during the day, get things ready to go, load up the truck on Thursday, and then we can shoot down from Friday night to Sunday afternoon at that point. Move in a little at a time each weekend, and not get stressed out trying to find things and rushing the set up when we get there. Just a little easier that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
Durn glad to hear it!!! Congratulations!!!
... six bedroom house?? wow ... How many sq ft is it?
2680 sq. Feet. It is in town, but it's in a decent area of Millcreek Township. We are splitting it with my adopted sister and her 3 kids, so we needed a good sized house. Works out well for both of us. Her boyfriend is a regional truck driver, she is a stay at home mom with 2 sons (9 and 2) and a daughter (7), so me being home with her and the kids will help her out. It's 2 blocks from their school, and my wife put in an application for a cafeteria opening starting in September. The high school is close enough for our daughter to walk on good days, and there are shopping centers within 10 blocks of the house so she should be able to find work to save up for a car and for college (she's starting her senior year in September. (What ever happened to the 5 year old I met when her mom and I started dating?!) Big fenced in yard for the dog, and a spot for a garden, It'll do for now.

It's not out in the country, but it fit the rest of our needs, so we'll take it. The most important thing was that it is west of the NY state line. That alone makes me happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
If I HAD to move, PA would be on the top of my list. So many cool things in that state. I love to go there on VACA.
I agree. We have been looking in PA and Ohio since back in the summer, and in those journeys I had seen some of the historical sites in both states. Next summer, we are planing a family weekend in Gettysburg. Looking forward to it as i have lived on the east coast for over 30 years, and have never been there. My sister's boyfriend and I went to look at a house in the Johnstown area a couple of weeks ago, and we stopped by the flight 93 memorial. We said a prayer for them and their families before heading back. Sobering experience to say the least.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 02-28-2014, 04:44 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3721 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Your house and location sound perfect for you given your familial situation. Its nice, too, that you'll all be sharing the house. I'm sure that will be beneficial to everyone.

Good luck with your new beginning!

Always have clean socks.

kfox75 Likes This 
Old 02-28-2014, 06:11 AM   #13
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2757 Times on 1898 Posts
Likes Given: 558

Yes, welcome again to the rest of America(Free for the time being!!!)

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

kfox75 Likes This 
Old 02-28-2014, 01:20 PM   #14

Liked 37 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 24

More freedom. Lower taxes. A nearby Chick-Fil-A.

Seems like a pretty positive move.

SCOPE Memeber
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 02-28-2014, 01:24 PM   #15

Liked 349 Times on 200 Posts

Congrats bud. Hopefully some day my wife and I will follow.

Sent from my HTC One X using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 02-28-2014, 11:23 PM   #16
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernandoTheCommando View Post
Congrats bud. Hopefully some day my wife and I will follow.

Sent from my HTC One X using Firearms Talk mobile app
You can always visit if you find yourself going to western PA (or anywhere else that ain't Philly). Who knows, you might even find yourself not wanting to return to NY while you are down there. that's what happened to us. Every time I turned the truck east to go "home", it just got harder to do. NY was my home for many years, but it has gone downhill over the last decade or so for me. It was time to get out.

JW. I think it will work pretty well, at least for the first couple of years or so. We want to buy a house somewhere not in the city, but for right now we want to settle in for a spell. Once the daughter is done with college (This fall will be her last year of high school) we will look into other places, and see what's out there. For now, I am happy with the fact that it is west of the NY border. I guess growing up Marine has made it hard for me to settle somewhere when there are still places I haven't seen. 23 years in Western NY was about 20 years too long when you grow up spending no more than 3 years in one place. God help me, I actually miss that. LOL.

Thanks again Bro.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 03-01-2014, 04:44 AM   #17

Liked 33 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Welcome to freedom.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:01 AM   #18
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2757 Times on 1898 Posts
Likes Given: 558

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
You can always visit if you find yourself going to western PA (or anywhere else that ain't Philly). Who knows, you might even find yourself not wanting to return to NY while you are down there. that's what happened to us. Every time I turned the truck east to go "home", it just got harder to do. NY was my home for many years, but it has gone downhill over the last decade or so for me. It was time to get out.

JW. I think it will work pretty well, at least for the first couple of years or so. We want to buy a house somewhere not in the city, but for right now we want to settle in for a spell. Once the daughter is done with college (This fall will be her last year of high school) we will look into other places, and see what's out there. For now, I am happy with the fact that it is west of the NY border. I guess growing up Marine has made it hard for me to settle somewhere when there are still places I haven't seen. 23 years in Western NY was about 20 years too long when you grow up spending no more than 3 years in one place. God help me, I actually miss that. LOL.

Thanks again Bro.

I will try and visit one day as well, if biz takes me to Steelers/Pitt Panther territory...

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

kfox75 Likes This 
Old 03-01-2014, 11:44 AM   #19
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
I will try and visit one day as well, if biz takes me to Steelers/Pitt Panther territory...

Looking forward to it Bro. If I get out your way, I'll drop you a line as well.

Si vis pacem parabellum.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:46 AM   #20
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Update....

We have a little less than 2 months to go until we are finally moved in to the PA house. Just a few more weeks of driving back and forth, and about 3 more trips with both the truck and the trailer. time to start selling off the stuff that is not going with us, and time to pay the last month on our storage unit (we pay a month ahead, so this will be Junes payment. Hard to believe we are this close.

Si vis pacem parabellum.

People Like This