Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > New York Gun Forum > Gun Registration? Should we?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 03:05 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 37 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I'm pretty sure that more than one person can register the same "assault weapon". If you didn't lose all of your "assault weapons" in a boating accident, and you are forced or feel the need to register, get all your shooting friends to register your weapons under their names too.

Cop shows up asking to see the rifle registered with serial number 69874. "That rifle is jointly registered and my buddy across town is using it you should drive over there and ask him to see it".

If the cop is actually so inclined to follow up, the buddy on the other side of town can say the next guy has it. Anything we can do to make this as difficult as possible.

SCOPE Memeber
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 07-31-2013, 04:43 PM   #22
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7684 Times on 4433 Posts
Likes Given: 9903

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARFAB View Post
I'm pretty sure that more than one person can register the same "assault weapon". If you didn't lose all of your "assault weapons" in a boating accident, and you are forced or feel the need to register, get all your shooting friends to register your weapons under their names too.

Cop shows up asking to see the rifle registered with serial number 69874. "That rifle is jointly registered and my buddy across town is using it you should drive over there and ask him to see it".

If the cop is actually so inclined to follow up, the buddy on the other side of town can say the next guy has it. Anything we can do to make this as difficult as possible.
Here in CA that is not possible. Not sure about other states though. My dad passed on back in September, leaving behind a S&W .38 Special Model 36. He also had left all of the paperwork showing that he had purchased it for both himself and his wife (my stepmom) in 1980. In clearing up the estate and all I asked around and found out that the gun would be considered his alone, not hers and the state requires that she do the transfer and get a California Handgun Safety Certificate before she "takes possession". I made it perfectly clear that it was purchased before there was any registration requirement in both their names and the people I spoke with insisted that the State does not recognize plural ownership of firearms.

So if a person gets divorced he gets to keep all of the guns?

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:09 PM   #23

Liked 412 Times on 229 Posts

Here in CT the new laws they passed say we have to register "assault weapons".

Things that make an assault weapon:

Threaded barrel , detachable magazine, pistol grip hanging below the action, there is more but I fell asleep reading. Anyway under the new law my wife technically has to register her Ruger 22/45 lite because it has a threaded barrel. The officer at dept public safety said it is a gray area.

So ridiculous !!!

Old 07-31-2013, 05:35 PM   #24

Liked 85 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctshooter View Post
Here in CT the new laws they passed say we have to register "assault weapons".

Things that make an assault weapon:

Threaded barrel , detachable magazine, pistol grip hanging below the action, there is more but I fell asleep reading. Anyway under the new law my wife technically has to register her Ruger 22/45 lite because it has a threaded barrel. The officer at dept public safety said it is a gray area.

So ridiculous !!!
Same here my gf has the rossi circut judge. The carbine version of the judge. And the state police deteck thats working to define the lines of the law told us it is considered an "assult shotgun". But the judge is total legal. Go figure. A bunch of bs if you ask me. And iv been told by one of my local pd guys that after the numbers come in if they alow you to own them. ( the form that you fill out is call the assult weapon application, meaning they can deny you.) there will be a confiscation.

you pew pew pew lately bro!?

Last edited by duddie10; 07-31-2013 at 05:39 PM.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:34 PM   #25

Liked 412 Times on 229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duddie10

Same here my gf has the rossi circut judge. The carbine version of the judge. And the state police deteck thats working to define the lines of the law told us it is considered an "assult shotgun". But the judge is total legal. Go figure. A bunch of bs if you ask me. And iv been told by one of my local pd guys that after the numbers come in if they alow you to own them. ( the form that you fill out is call the assult weapon application, meaning they can deny you.) there will be a confiscation.
That would be a pretty ballsy move on their part. Wonder what the criteria is on wether they approve you or not

Old 07-31-2013, 07:52 PM   #26

Location: Washington...the state, not the District of Columbia
Liked 26 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I'm currently in the market to purchase my first rifle as a civilian. Because I want to be sure of all my rights and obligations, I spoke to a county sheriff. I did not give him my name, what kind of rifle I intend to purchase, or where I intended to purchase. I simply asked him if I was required to register it. He told me "not yet, but it is recommended that I do so."... He went on to tell me that if my firearm is lost or stolen, a registration would make it easier to recover it.
Having read the other posts in this thread however, I think I'll wait until Washington State law makes it mandatory.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:08 PM   #27

Liked 328 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Fellas here in Australia we have a gun registry system and it's the biggest waste of public money spending ever as all 's it does is give the authourity's and idea of who owns what guns and even then the registry we've got is so out of date in regards to what guns we own it's ridiculous.
We also cop gun safe inspections every so often where the cops come around and inspect our safe's to make sure they're "approved" for the type of guns we're allowed to have on our licenses.

This registry costs around $75,000 per day to run and to date it has not helped solve 1 gun related crime and it's tied up Police who come around to do the job as they're already tied up with paperwork and their normal duty's.

Canada has just dropped their gun registry because it was proved to be a complete waste of time and money so that should give you blokes an idea of how "successful" this wank of an idea is.

The other disturbing thing is here it's been revealed by a Police officer that the registry files had been hacked and the names and addresses of thousands of gun owners had been distributed to those of less desirable quality's and there's also evidence that gun owner's houses have been targeted for their guns.

Our pro gun political organisation is starting to mount an attack to get this registry disbanded and it's starting to gather momentum especially after this latest bit of information.

So if this bit of rubbish starts to raise it's head get in behind your NRA and support them to the max and every time some clown puts in some bit of BS about gun owners being potential redneck murderers in the media write, email or text in and refute the claims with good solid facts and figures that can be checked on line or where ever because the anti's will lie and distort the truth and as the old saying goes: "A lie told often enough becomes the truth!".

Don't become abusive towards them as that's what they want, stand your ground remain calm and argue with solid facts as most of the time the anti's have no real back up or facts only what the media has told them.

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

People Like This 
Old 07-31-2013, 08:12 PM   #28

Liked 85 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctshooter View Post

That would be a pretty ballsy move on their part. Wonder what the criteria is on wether they approve you or not
I know. My familys good friends with a guy on the local pd. He hasent been far off on other things he told me so i def see a cause for alarm.

you pew pew pew lately bro!?

Old 07-31-2013, 08:33 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Seriously Yankees, the heat and humidity isn't that bad, just leave that crazy place to the libtards and move South to better firearms freedom.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:00 PM   #30

Liked 1956 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4284

Seriously, how is this even a question?

Australia has 'random inspections', compromised databases, a massive sinkhole for tax money because of this...

Then there's Canada's failed registration system that cost the taxpayers BILLIONS of dollars and did nothing, nada, zip, zero to prevent any crimes before they finally gave up because 80% simply refused to comply...

IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT???

It's nobody's damn business what I own...

How is having a S/N in some database going to PREVENT a crime???

Anyone that is okay with bobthefed knocking on your door to 'inspect your guns...FOOG', deserves whatever misfortune falls upon them.

I hear all the time about how angry we gun owners are about our rights constantly being under attack, why, would anyone in their right minds even entertain the thought of 'registering' their firearms??? A blatant example of infringement and a HUGE opportunity for those who wish to impose their will upon us to do just that.

Up to you, you can be a good little serf and do what Papa Cuomo says, or you can put your money where your mouth is, exercise your rights as Americans and do what millions of our fellow countrymen/women have fought and bled for...which is stand up and fight for those rights which they paid for, with their lives...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Last edited by vincent; 07-31-2013 at 11:38 PM.
People Like This