You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > New York Gun Forum >

Got a question for you New Yorkers, ARs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 01:16 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 30 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by batjka
This is how it goes:

The SAFE act banned weapons with one or more "evil" features such as pistol grips, folding stocks, bayonet mounts etc. Stripped lowers do not have any of the banned features and thus are LEGAL to transfer in NYS. You are not breaking any laws by selling the lower and the buyer is not breaking any laws by buying. When the buyer puts the rifle together, it is his responsibility to ensure his finished product conforms to the AWB.

So go ahead, sell the lower. Do not try to violate rights of New Yorkers any more than our governor already did.
I don't think you are right here.. You can have 1 and only 1 evil feature on your ar15.. However!!!!!!!!! He now slipped in that one of the evil features is the ability to accept a detachable magazine over 7 rds.. So if you buy a lower now and build it up with a pistol grip which is the only way than that would be an assault weapon.. I have 2 stripped lowers I got before the ban and asked 3 lGS and they all said that I can't sell them..

Personally if you sell the lower to a guy in nys and the ffl in nys does the transfer, they are at fault in my eyes that they were the ones to transfer a stripped lower... If a guy from ny goes to Florida and buys on in a store then brings it back and gets caught the Florida FFL will be in big trouble..

My advice, tell the guy to wait till end of April when te gov is served a plate of his own poop on a platter by the Supreme Court...
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 03-13-2013, 02:28 PM   #12

Liked 30 Times on 20 Posts

Here this is what I just found..

You are right on the 1 or more but since its a semi auto that can accept a detachable magazine you can have any evil features.. As of now there is no possible was to make a ar15 work without a pistol grip..

Scary thing is I just read that a foregrip cannot be readly attachable... This means that a quad rail is now illegal too!!
image-131884500.jpg  
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 03-13-2013, 05:34 PM   #13

Liked 23 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjr1 View Post
I don't think you are right here.. You can have 1 and only 1 evil feature on your ar15.. However!!!!!!!!! He now slipped in that one of the evil features is the ability to accept a detachable magazine over 7 rds.. So if you buy a lower now and build it up with a pistol grip which is the only way than that would be an assault weapon.. I have 2 stripped lowers I got before the ban and asked 3 lGS and they all said that I can't sell them..

Personally if you sell the lower to a guy in nys and the ffl in nys does the transfer, they are at fault in my eyes that they were the ones to transfer a stripped lower... If a guy from ny goes to Florida and buys on in a store then brings it back and gets caught the Florida FFL will be in big trouble..

My advice, tell the guy to wait till end of April when te gov is served a plate of his own poop on a platter by the Supreme Court...
You are correct, it's a semi-auto that can accept detachable magazine. But since a stripped lower does not have any other evil features, it's legal to possess in NYS. Once you put a pistol grip on it, it's an assault weapon. Until then, you're GTG.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #14

Liked 783 Times on 453 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Dont think the SAFE act goes into effect until April. Either way the lower is not banned outright, only the parts that you can build on to it are.
"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 06-17-2016, 08:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by batjka View Post
Thank you for supporting our struggle. We are fighting this tooth and nail and we will prevail.

I have to correct you, though. A stripped lower will still be legal to transfer in NYS no matter what. Because it lacks any "evil" features. Unfortunately many FFLs in NY or outside of the state do not understand what's in the law. It is extremely frustrating.
Actually some say it's illegal to purchase a stripped lower in ny or to sell to us who live here simply because the stripped lower can be made into a pistol..until it's built it doesn't get classified as a rifle/shotgun/pistol etc. I live in New York ten minutes from pa so I'm not saying this to upset any of my fellow citizens..ny sucks..plain and simple.

Old 06-18-2016, 12:11 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12074 Times on 6353 Posts
Likes Given: 11766

According to the GCA 68 (Federal Law) the receiver IS the firearm.

You can only sell a receiver if you could legally sell the entire firearm.

To be legal, selling a firearm to a person from another state, the purchase must not violate the laws of the buyer's state of residence.

And you can only ship a firearm across state lines to another FFL.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
According to the GCA 68 (Federal Law) the receiver IS the firearm.

You can only sell a receiver if you could legally sell the entire firearm.

To be legal, selling a firearm to a person from another state, the purchase must not violate the laws of the buyer's state of residence.

And you can only ship a firearm across state lines to another FFL.
I know the lower is the firearm. Hence why it has the serial number on it. But it isn't classified as a pistol, rifle, etc until it's built. Given the ability to be made into a pistol, is enough reason for the NY
government to not allow sales of lowers unless one has a CCP.

Old 06-18-2016, 10:10 PM   #18

Liked 1384 Times on 876 Posts
Likes Given: 813

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuomokissescock View Post
I know the lower is the firearm. Hence why it has the serial number on it. But it isn't classified as a pistol, rifle, etc until it's built. Given the ability to be made into a pistol, is enough reason for the NY
government to not allow sales of lowers unless one has a CCP.
Wrong. It's sold as an "other". Dude. I've bought Over 10 stripped lowers. Never an issue. I walk in. Pay. And fill in the paperwork
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 06-18-2016, 11:01 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
Wrong. It's sold as an "other". Dude. I've bought Over 10 stripped lowers. Never an issue. I walk in. Pay. And fill in the paperwork
I'm not here to argue or tell anyone what to do, I'm here to stick up for fellow gun owners. And when you can provide me a signed statement from the atf or the state saying its "100%" legal to buy a lower in New York I will gladly withdrawal my input. The problem is the atf and state won't give a straight forward yes or no leaving us in this grey area. I know dealers who sell them but I know more who won't lay a hand on them. The sage act is so choppy it's a gamble deciding to interpret it on your own. Your opinion will most certainly differ from the haunchos. I just don't want to see anyone get arrested over some dumb ass law so the government can make us look even worse. I can say I honestly know of two people near me who have received misdemeanors, and one a felony from buying lower receiver from a drug operation, and one for having one in his possession. All had to forfeit their firearms, and the one is now unable to ever own one again. Yes eventually I'm sure an amazing lawyer would eat that case up but with that comes even more money spent. Not to mention a long wait. We all just need to stand our ground, have each other's back and not budge until they have to revers this madness. No matter what actions are needed to get there. Just be careful buying lowers is all I'm saying. If you can find the patience to wait I would wait. Personally I'd be too embarrassed to walk onto a range with the New York safe compliant dildo stock on my ar. And the state hasn't given a yes or no on the legality of a bullet button..I'm losing so much faith in the government. It's time the people stand up and retake what is ours.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:16 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4353 Times on 2632 Posts
Likes Given: 24100

There is a simpler solution.

Why is an SKS legal in NY, but an AR or AK is not? Simple answer is that the SKS has a fixed magazine. Pin the Mag in thew magwell of an AR, and it becomes a fixed magazine as it can not be removed without tools,. and since it's a tip up design to the upper, it can still be loaded via charger clips and a guide. Since it's made right here in the USA, 922r is not an issue, so you can add all the evil features you want at that point.

As to the stripped lower part of this, it is classed as the firearm, plain and simple, and since it is not a long gun until the buffer tube is placed on it, you have to be 21 or over to buy or own one there. If you put a pistol tube on it, you need a pistol, permit to own, handle, or purchase it. that's the law in NY, even though it sucks b@lls.

By now, the Op has made up his mind on whether or not to ship to a NY FFL, so it's kind of a moot point, but some of the laws have changed between now and then, including dropping the 7 round magazine limit (Which a .223 30 rounder will only hold 7 of .50 Beowulf or AE. ), and including some approved options that mirror Komiefornistan's laws on "AW"s. Some of the grip and stock options that are legal there are also legal in NY, so a CA DOJ compliant build would be legal in NY now.

Long before the Unsafe Act was passed, I decided to GTFO of NY, but remained there due to my mother's health problems, and the ailing health of my grandparents. My grandfather passed 2 weeks prior to the passage of the Unsafe Act, and I am glad that was not there to see it passed. Even during his time on the NYSP, he did not agree with the Sullivan ACT, and actively fought to get it overturned. I joined that fight myself at age 18, and spent 23 years of my life fighting for the 2A there. With both of my grandparents gone, as well as my mom, 13 January, 2013 was the last straw for me, and in early 2014 i signed the lease on a house in Erie PA. We were out of NY as of 1 July, 2014, and had residency established here a month later. however, i still have friends and family back there, so I am still active in the fight for the return of our freedoms, and still attend rallies in NY state. i was not born there, but NY is still my Home (Still true if you look at a pre-Erie Canal map of the Eastern US. The part of PA I live in was once part of NY State, back when Ohio still bordered NY.)

Kfox75 signing off from the Real NY. The NY that still lives in me, even though I no longer live in it.
If I have to explain why I ride, you wouldn't understand. Explaining sex to an alien would be easier than explaining the feeling, one that boils all that is going on in your life down to what really matters each time you are in The Wind. All I can say is, Life is not Life without it.