Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > New York Gun Forum > Got a question for you New Yorkers, ARs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 12:16 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by batjka
This is how it goes:

The SAFE act banned weapons with one or more "evil" features such as pistol grips, folding stocks, bayonet mounts etc. Stripped lowers do not have any of the banned features and thus are LEGAL to transfer in NYS. You are not breaking any laws by selling the lower and the buyer is not breaking any laws by buying. When the buyer puts the rifle together, it is his responsibility to ensure his finished product conforms to the AWB.

So go ahead, sell the lower. Do not try to violate rights of New Yorkers any more than our governor already did.
I don't think you are right here.. You can have 1 and only 1 evil feature on your ar15.. However!!!!!!!!! He now slipped in that one of the evil features is the ability to accept a detachable magazine over 7 rds.. So if you buy a lower now and build it up with a pistol grip which is the only way than that would be an assault weapon.. I have 2 stripped lowers I got before the ban and asked 3 lGS and they all said that I can't sell them..

Personally if you sell the lower to a guy in nys and the ffl in nys does the transfer, they are at fault in my eyes that they were the ones to transfer a stripped lower... If a guy from ny goes to Florida and buys on in a store then brings it back and gets caught the Florida FFL will be in big trouble..

My advice, tell the guy to wait till end of April when te gov is served a plate of his own poop on a platter by the Supreme Court...

Old 03-13-2013, 01:28 PM   #12

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

Here this is what I just found..

You are right on the 1 or more but since its a semi auto that can accept a detachable magazine you can have any evil features.. As of now there is no possible was to make a ar15 work without a pistol grip..

Scary thing is I just read that a foregrip cannot be readly attachable... This means that a quad rail is now illegal too!!

image-131884500.jpg  

Old 03-13-2013, 04:34 PM   #13

Liked 19 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjr1 View Post
I don't think you are right here.. You can have 1 and only 1 evil feature on your ar15.. However!!!!!!!!! He now slipped in that one of the evil features is the ability to accept a detachable magazine over 7 rds.. So if you buy a lower now and build it up with a pistol grip which is the only way than that would be an assault weapon.. I have 2 stripped lowers I got before the ban and asked 3 lGS and they all said that I can't sell them..

Personally if you sell the lower to a guy in nys and the ffl in nys does the transfer, they are at fault in my eyes that they were the ones to transfer a stripped lower... If a guy from ny goes to Florida and buys on in a store then brings it back and gets caught the Florida FFL will be in big trouble..

My advice, tell the guy to wait till end of April when te gov is served a plate of his own poop on a platter by the Supreme Court...
You are correct, it's a semi-auto that can accept detachable magazine. But since a stripped lower does not have any other evil features, it's legal to possess in NYS. Once you put a pistol grip on it, it's an assault weapon. Until then, you're GTG.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:50 PM   #14

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Dont think the SAFE act goes into effect until April. Either way the lower is not banned outright, only the parts that you can build on to it are.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington