Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   New York Gun Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f145/)
-   -   Exploding Targets Shooting Range (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f145/exploding-targets-shooting-range-88237/)

M1GARANDBING 04-05-2013 03:01 PM

Exploding Targets Shooting Range

Hey I was looking around for a shooting range that allows exploding targets in the Rockland county area.
Anyone know of any ranges that let you use that candy?

kfox75 04-05-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M1GARANDBING (Post 1204045)
Hey I was looking around for a shooting range that allows exploding targets in the Rockland county area.
Anyone know of any ranges that let you use that candy?

M1. Call your local ranges or find a friend who has a farm, and see if you can use a section of it as a range. That's how we do it on the other end of the state. Now for the legal end of things:

I am not a lawyer, so i assume no responsibility for how the following information is used. Check with an attourney, and local LEOs in your area.

The laws regarding use if a firearm as per the NYS 2012\2013 DEC hunting regulation book are as follows:

You may not discharge a firearm, airgun, crossbow, or bow within 500 feet of an occupied building without the permission of that buildings owner or tenant.

Not a law, but simply a CYA thing, make sure that you are shooting your targets somewhere that there is an adequate backstop for the rounds you are using. Mine is made from a pile of old tires, railroad ties, and several yards of dirt and pea gravel, 8.5 feet high, by 19 feet across, and 30 feet long. Anything that does penetrate it ain't going very fast or far on the other side.

You can not fire any of the above from the shoulder of the road, or in a direction that causes the projectile to cross said roadway.

Finally, You may not discharge any of the above within 1,000 feet of a school as per federal law..

As far as the "candy" goes, It is against federal law to mix 50 pounds or more at one time. It is illegal to transport any quantity of said product after it has been mixed without the proper permits. If you mix it, use it on site.

Also, just a bit of advice, before using said products contact local LEOs in the area where you will be shooting. They may have local laws regarding noise levels, and they will know what you are doing ahead of time. This will allow them to reassure the residents of said area that all is well, if they are called. Call it a courtesy thing, saves headaches for all parties involved if they are forwarned.

lastly. Do not do what my friend's ex-girlfriend's dumb azz cousin did earlier this year. Stick to 2 pounds or less when shooting tannerite. He was the moron who shot 18 POUNDS of it in Busti NY, where people in PA heard the Blast! :eek::eek::eek: Please use it in a reasonable, safe manner, and follow all of the safety instructions. Above all else, have fun, and take a non-shooter with you. You never know, you may be able to welcome another into the shooting sports, an introduce them to their new addiction.:D

M1GARANDBING 04-05-2013 09:41 PM

Thanks a lot for typing all this up, really helpful info. Does this mean I can't shoot my airsoft guns in my backyard if my property is less then 500 ft from my neighbors house?!?

kfox75 04-06-2013 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M1GARANDBING (Post 1204400)
Thanks a lot for typing all this up, really helpful info. Does this mean I can't shoot my airsoft guns in my backyard if my property is less then 500 ft from my neighbors house?!?

If you have a good enough backstop there shouldn't be a problem. if you have a basement you could sat up a range there. Most neighbors I have dealt with never had a problem over using an air gun. However, there is a d!ck on every block. It all depends on where you live. If your out in the country a little, usually not a problem. Suburb or city, a different matter entirely.

I'm pretty lucky whee i live, in that the only problem with a neighbor where I'm at was when I had to dispatch of a coyote in the middle of the night. Said neighbor, a hospital 200 yards from my house, called the sheriff's department over the gunshot. That particular 'yote was headed to their smoke pit, and I shot it while it was still on my property. When the deputy arrived, I explained the situation to him, he took the carcass over to the security guard, who sent back an apology and a request to use a smaller caliber next time. Now, i just use a bow instead. None of the other neighbors have ever give me trouble over shooting n my land, 2 of them have offered to call the game warden for carcass disposal.
By the way, the 'yote sent to the security office did test positive for rabies. I would be willing to bet that has a lot to do with their stance on my use of firearms on the same street they are on.