But my car doesn't have a trunk

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > New York Gun Forum > But my car doesn't have a trunk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 04:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Default But my car doesn't have a trunk

I drive two cars, a small 4 door with a trunk, and my escalade which has an open rear area. No trunk. If I am granted the honor, the privilege and grace of the great judge of new York how will I transport my pistol in my trunk if I don't have one?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-24-2012, 04:56 AM   #2

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

You may have to get a lockable tailgate and bed cover, or you may be able to separate gun and ammo, in different lockable boxes, and put the gun in the glove box while the ammo goes under the seat.

There has to be some kind of allowable transport method for a pickup.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:16 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Here in PA, I was always told ammo and firearms must be as far from each other as possible (if you dont have a ccw permit). I drive an extended cab pickup. About 4 years ago before I had my ccw permit, I was stopped by a LEO. I told him I had a weapon in the car and explained the ammo was in the glove box and the pistol was under the back seat. He had told me that was fine and as long as neither were "within arms reach", it was acceptable.

Just remember, this was PA. NY (communist country) may be different.

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"

Old 02-24-2012, 01:25 PM   #4

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Same with my Grand Cherokee. There's no problem, just case them in a locked container, ammo separate. This is only in NYC, every place else you can actually carry on your person to and from the range and some places even allow you to make stops in between, ain't they nice? (sarcasm). When you get the license you should get instructions on the laws. You can also Google NYS gun laws.
I have a Nassau County permit. I can carry to and from the range and hunting with no stops in between. Except of course if I go through any of the Boroughs of NYC. Friends who have Suffolk permits can make stops but have to lock 'em up if going through the City.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Old 02-24-2012, 10:33 PM   #5
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1579 Times on 966 Posts
Likes Given: 8166

A friend of mine built a lockable storage drawer for the back of his explorer just for this purpose. I know there are companies that make them now, but i don't know their names. The unit bolts to the floor,and the drawer locks into the box and is segmented to keep guns and ammo seperate. I think, at this point, the box is stonger than his truck. Damn road salt!

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 02-24-2012, 11:19 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75
A friend of mine built a lockable storage drawer for the back of his explorer just for this purpose. I know there are companies that make them now, but i don't know their names. The unit bolts to the floor,and the drawer locks into the box and is segmented to keep guns and ammo seperate. I think, at this point, the box is stonger than his truck. Damn road salt!
Does it go under the car or inside? Im confused because you mention the salt. Lol

Old 02-25-2012, 06:27 AM   #7
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanNinja View Post
Does it go under the car or inside? Im confused because you mention the salt. Lol
Inside the cargo area. He even installed a rail that goes around the perimiter of the top to secure cargo on top of it. It's great for camping trips. The salt coment is due to the fact that he now has a set of 35s on all four corners with no lift kit needed. Fenderwell cut outs by sodium chloride! The fenders, rockers, and rear quarters are all missing the bottom 3 inches of steel they had when they left the factory. Hell, I won't work on it until after I check to make sure my tetnus shot is up to date!

Although my truck ain't much better. The wife has the better one.

Op. Install a lock box under a seat in your truck. Put your pistol in it and lock it. You should be good to go. Just make sure it's unloaded when you do. If you have a concealed carry permit, put it on you and if you get stopped, let the officer know you are carrying.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Last edited by kfox75; 02-25-2012 at 06:32 AM.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:58 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75

The salt coment is due to the fact that he now has a set of 35s on all four corners with no lift kit needed. Fenderwell cut outs by sodium chloride! .
LMAO! Ive got a rust spot about the size of a golf ball on my rear fenderwells, I think I may be looking forward to it rotting out now. Lol.

OP, did you check with any local authority or maybe ask at a local gun shop? Rules for transporting may vary by county and differ across the state.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:14 AM   #9
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanNinja View Post
LMAO! Ive got a rust spot about the size of a golf ball on my rear fenderwells, I think I may be looking forward to it rotting out now. Lol.

OP, did you check with any local authority or maybe ask at a local gun shop? Rules for transporting may vary by county and differ across the state.
I myself am 1 inch away from a new set of 33s!