Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   New York Gun Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f145/)
-   -   But my car doesn't have a trunk (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f145/but-my-car-doesnt-have-trunk-58644/)

TheNYResistance 02-24-2012 05:17 AM

But my car doesn't have a trunk
 
I drive two cars, a small 4 door with a trunk, and my escalade which has an open rear area. No trunk. If I am granted the honor, the privilege and grace of the great judge of new York how will I transport my pistol in my trunk if I don't have one?

trip286 02-24-2012 05:56 AM

You may have to get a lockable tailgate and bed cover, or you may be able to separate gun and ammo, in different lockable boxes, and put the gun in the glove box while the ammo goes under the seat.

There has to be some kind of allowable transport method for a pickup.

UrbanNinja 02-24-2012 06:16 AM

Here in PA, I was always told ammo and firearms must be as far from each other as possible (if you dont have a ccw permit). I drive an extended cab pickup. About 4 years ago before I had my ccw permit, I was stopped by a LEO. I told him I had a weapon in the car and explained the ammo was in the glove box and the pistol was under the back seat. He had told me that was fine and as long as neither were "within arms reach", it was acceptable.

Just remember, this was PA. NY (communist country) may be different.

jeepejeep 02-24-2012 02:25 PM

Same with my Grand Cherokee. There's no problem, just case them in a locked container, ammo separate. This is only in NYC, every place else you can actually carry on your person to and from the range and some places even allow you to make stops in between, ain't they nice? (sarcasm). When you get the license you should get instructions on the laws. You can also Google NYS gun laws.
I have a Nassau County permit. I can carry to and from the range and hunting with no stops in between. Except of course if I go through any of the Boroughs of NYC. Friends who have Suffolk permits can make stops but have to lock 'em up if going through the City.

kfox75 02-24-2012 11:33 PM

A friend of mine built a lockable storage drawer for the back of his explorer just for this purpose. I know there are companies that make them now, but i don't know their names. The unit bolts to the floor,and the drawer locks into the box and is segmented to keep guns and ammo seperate. I think, at this point, the box is stonger than his truck. Damn road salt!:mad:

UrbanNinja 02-25-2012 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kfox75
A friend of mine built a lockable storage drawer for the back of his explorer just for this purpose. I know there are companies that make them now, but i don't know their names. The unit bolts to the floor,and the drawer locks into the box and is segmented to keep guns and ammo seperate. I think, at this point, the box is stonger than his truck. Damn road salt!:mad:

Does it go under the car or inside? Im confused because you mention the salt. Lol

kfox75 02-25-2012 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UrbanNinja (Post 719377)
Does it go under the car or inside? Im confused because you mention the salt. Lol

Inside the cargo area. He even installed a rail that goes around the perimiter of the top to secure cargo on top of it. It's great for camping trips. The salt coment is due to the fact that he now has a set of 35s on all four corners with no lift kit needed. Fenderwell cut outs by sodium chloride!:D The fenders, rockers, and rear quarters are all missing the bottom 3 inches of steel they had when they left the factory. Hell, I won't work on it until after I check to make sure my tetnus shot is up to date!:eek:

Although my truck ain't much better. The wife has the better one.

Op. Install a lock box under a seat in your truck. Put your pistol in it and lock it. You should be good to go. Just make sure it's unloaded when you do. If you have a concealed carry permit, put it on you and if you get stopped, let the officer know you are carrying.

UrbanNinja 02-25-2012 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kfox75

The salt coment is due to the fact that he now has a set of 35s on all four corners with no lift kit needed. Fenderwell cut outs by sodium chloride!:D .

LMAO! Ive got a rust spot about the size of a golf ball on my rear fenderwells, I think I may be looking forward to it rotting out now. Lol.

OP, did you check with any local authority or maybe ask at a local gun shop? Rules for transporting may vary by county and differ across the state.

kfox75 02-25-2012 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UrbanNinja (Post 719740)
LMAO! Ive got a rust spot about the size of a golf ball on my rear fenderwells, I think I may be looking forward to it rotting out now. Lol.

OP, did you check with any local authority or maybe ask at a local gun shop? Rules for transporting may vary by county and differ across the state.

I myself am 1 inch away from a new set of 33s!:)


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:38 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.