Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > New Jersey Gun Forum > Vz. 52/57 NJ Legal Rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 01:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Vz. 52/57 NJ Legal Rifle?

Hi, everyone! I'm brand new to the forum and I have a silly question. Is a Vz. 52/57 unmodified legal in NJ? I have the chance to buy one out of state. My concern is I don't know anyone with one and I'm not sure how much NJ feels it is "similar" to an SKS with detachable mag (which is illegal). Other than that part of it, I know it would be legal as it only has the "evil" bayonet, no flash hider, grenade launcher, folding stock, or pistol grip.

I understand some of the internal mechanisms are different, but again I have no idea if NJ cares about technicalities. Any help from anyone would be appreciated, both of my FFLs couldn't help me saying yes or no (I don't think they were sure either).

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-05-2013, 02:17 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2564 Times on 1283 Posts
Likes Given: 244

Find some new FFLs. Seems to me, they should have a pretty clear picture of what they can legally sell/transfer. If they are unsure, they should know how to find out. If they get it wrong, they might be in the jail cell with you.

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 06-05-2013, 10:58 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

As long as the magazine holds 15 rounds or less and there is no pistol grip, bayonet lug and it has a fixed stock you are good.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:48 PM   #4

I understand it is legal under:

Section 2 (i) A semi-automatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:
(1) A folding or telescoping stock;
(2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(3) A bayonet mount;
(4) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash
suppressor; and
(5) A grenade launcher;

It has the bayonet fixed on it, that's all, so its legal under that section. However the section right before that states:

"Any firearm manufactured under any designation, which is substantially identical to any of the firearms listed in paragraph 1 above. As used in this definition, the term "substantial" means pertaining to the substance, matter, material or essence of a thing and the term "identical" means exactly the same. Hence, a firearm is substantially identical to another only if it is identical in all material, essential respects. A firearm is not substantially identical to a listed assault firearm unless it is identical except for differences that do not alter the essential nature of the firearm." And "SKS with detachable magazine type" is on that list.

Now I know this is not an SKS, but it is loosely based off of it. THAT is my true legal question. How technical does NJ get on this, because the pistol, trigger, and bolt/receiver are of a different design mechanisms than the SKS. Here are some attached pictures if that helps anyone.

vz5257.jpg   vz-right-front.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg   vz5257_receiverright.jpg   vz52rifle6050.jpg   vz52_frontendleft.jpg  

Old 06-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Based upon photos its NJ compliant as long as the magazine isn't over 15 rounds.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:16 PM   #6

Its only 10 rounds. Cool thanks!

Old 06-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #7

Hey everyone, fun fact I just learned from State Police. You can't have a rifle with a detachable mag and a folding attached bayonet. That is why SKS's with detachable mags are on the "evil" list. So this rifle is illegal in NJ, along with the Egyptian Rasheed. Well at least I learned something new.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:48 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I was looking at your pics from my phone, but now that I see them on a full size screen I see the Bayonet. Yes indeed you are correct, anything with a detachable magazine cannot have a bayonet or the bayonet lug itself to be NJ Complaint. Its stupid, but unfortunatley its the law in NJ.

If you still want to get that rifle, I may be able to assist. Im part of an FFL and we do NJ Compliance work. Essentially we would remove the bayonet lug and Walla....its now legal. You would have to have it shipped to us and our gunsmith, who is excellent would do the job. If this interests you send me a private message and ill give you the details on what you need to do. We are located in Central NJ in Howell Twp which is in Monmouth County.

Looks to be a nice Rifle. Although you would lose the Bayonet, it still looks to be a fun gun to take to the Range.