still waiting for permit(s)
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > New Jersey Gun Forum > still waiting for permit(s)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 10:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default still waiting for permit(s)

I applied for both long and handguns at the same time, having heard it'd speed the process up...
This was at the end of April.
Does anyone know if they notify you if you've been declined??

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-31-2012, 10:20 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Yes they have to notify you and inform you why. You should give them a call and see if they give a good reason for the delay and if not you can contact the NRA.
This extended delay stuff is crap and its been continuing to spread and get worse. I believe there is already action being taken about it in my state.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:14 PM   #3

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

No permit is required to purchase a rifle or shotgun in New Jersey. Are you referring to the FOID? That can typically take between 9-12 weeks, longer if your town dicks around with the application. What town are you in...North Jersey towns tend to take longer than South.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 08-01-2012, 10:59 AM   #4

I'm in Salem county.... pretty far south. I went through the state police barracks in woodstown. They seemed nice enough throughout the process. Should I call them and make sure they sent it through?

Old 08-01-2012, 01:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-lest View Post
I'm in Salem county.... pretty far south. I went through the state police barracks in woodstown. They seemed nice enough throughout the process. Should I call them and make sure they sent it through?
I would...don't be impatient and try not to lecture them on the 30 day requirment. Most times the bottleneck is not at the local PD but at the SBI where the prints and background check are done. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 08-01-2012, 01:49 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

The captain of the police department signs off on all of those so if he's new, retiring, on vacation or simply swamped it will take longer than expected. Definitely give the local PD where you submitted a call or go by in person if you can. My Pistol purchase permit took almost 4 months. I found out that there was a new Captain as of 3 months before I submitted and he was playing catch up, I suppose from all the stuff the old captain decided NOT to do since he was exiting.

Yes, you probably applied for a FPID and a pistol purchase permit together and you think it should take less time but alas no.

Ask your references if they were contacted...that will at least give you a sense of whether or not they've been working on your applications...

Good luck.

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 08-01-2012, 06:09 PM   #7

In addition to checking whether your references have been contacted check to see if any checks you wrote have been cashed. I realize that the State Police fees are money order only but if they took a check for the permit fees they will typically hold those until they get the print and criminal clearance b ack from SBI. If the check is cashed it should be a week or two before the permits and card are issued. Both the FOID and permits are "shall issue" so once you are cleared by the State Police they have to issue the card and permits.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
In addition to checking whether your references have been contacted check to see if any checks you wrote have been cashed. I realize that the State Police fees are money order only but if they took a check for the permit fees they will typically hold those until they get the print and criminal clearance b ack from SBI. If the check is cashed it should be a week or two before the permits and card are issued. Both the FOID and permits are "shall issue" so once you are cleared by the State Police they have to issue the card and permits.
I don't recall even getting an option to write a personal check for any of the fees, but that would be a good point though.
Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 08-03-2012, 11:26 PM   #9

Thanx everyone.... you guys rock!

Old 08-05-2012, 03:21 AM   #10

The woodstown state police always mess up. In short they are idiots there. I would call and inquire about where it is. My first permit hey lost. Then when they found it and sent it in the state wouldn't accept it. I filled out the application again and got it back in a couple months. It will take longer because it's your initial card, but it shouldn't take more then three months. I put in a pistol permit about a month ago. This week I'm going to start calling and bothering them about where my permits are. Good luck with it though.