Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   New Jersey Gun Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f143/)
-   -   still waiting for permit(s) (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f143/still-waiting-permit-s-69343/)

k-lest 07-31-2012 10:06 PM

still waiting for permit(s)

I applied for both long and handguns at the same time, having heard it'd speed the process up...
This was at the end of April.
Does anyone know if they notify you if you've been declined??

mountainman13 07-31-2012 10:20 PM

Yes they have to notify you and inform you why. You should give them a call and see if they give a good reason for the delay and if not you can contact the NRA.
This extended delay stuff is crap and its been continuing to spread and get worse. I believe there is already action being taken about it in my state.

Jpyle 07-31-2012 11:14 PM

No permit is required to purchase a rifle or shotgun in New Jersey. Are you referring to the FOID? That can typically take between 9-12 weeks, longer if your town dicks around with the application. What town are you in...North Jersey towns tend to take longer than South.

k-lest 08-01-2012 10:59 AM

I'm in Salem county.... pretty far south. I went through the state police barracks in woodstown. They seemed nice enough throughout the process. Should I call them and make sure they sent it through?

Jpyle 08-01-2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k-lest (Post 889191)
I'm in Salem county.... pretty far south. I went through the state police barracks in woodstown. They seemed nice enough throughout the process. Should I call them and make sure they sent it through?

I would...don't be impatient and try not to lecture them on the 30 day requirment. Most times the bottleneck is not at the local PD but at the SBI where the prints and background check are done. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

drvsafe 08-01-2012 01:49 PM

The captain of the police department signs off on all of those so if he's new, retiring, on vacation or simply swamped it will take longer than expected. Definitely give the local PD where you submitted a call or go by in person if you can. My Pistol purchase permit took almost 4 months. I found out that there was a new Captain as of 3 months before I submitted and he was playing catch up, I suppose from all the stuff the old captain decided NOT to do since he was exiting.

Yes, you probably applied for a FPID and a pistol purchase permit together and you think it should take less time but alas no.

Ask your references if they were contacted...that will at least give you a sense of whether or not they've been working on your applications...

Good luck.

Jpyle 08-01-2012 06:09 PM

In addition to checking whether your references have been contacted check to see if any checks you wrote have been cashed. I realize that the State Police fees are money order only but if they took a check for the permit fees they will typically hold those until they get the print and criminal clearance b ack from SBI. If the check is cashed it should be a week or two before the permits and card are issued. Both the FOID and permits are "shall issue" so once you are cleared by the State Police they have to issue the card and permits.

drvsafe 08-03-2012 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpyle (Post 889526)
In addition to checking whether your references have been contacted check to see if any checks you wrote have been cashed. I realize that the State Police fees are money order only but if they took a check for the permit fees they will typically hold those until they get the print and criminal clearance b ack from SBI. If the check is cashed it should be a week or two before the permits and card are issued. Both the FOID and permits are "shall issue" so once you are cleared by the State Police they have to issue the card and permits.

I don't recall even getting an option to write a personal check for any of the fees, but that would be a good point though.

k-lest 08-03-2012 11:26 PM

Thanx everyone.... you guys rock!

JPenn856 08-05-2012 03:21 AM

The woodstown state police always mess up. In short they are idiots there. I would call and inquire about where it is. My first permit hey lost. Then when they found it and sent it in the state wouldn't accept it. I filled out the application again and got it back in a couple months. It will take longer because it's your initial card, but it shouldn't take more then three months. I put in a pistol permit about a month ago. This week I'm going to start calling and bothering them about where my permits are. Good luck with it though.