Question about Handguns in the Workplace/Laws

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > New Jersey Gun Forum > Question about Handguns in the Workplace/Laws

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2013, 09:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Question about Handguns in the Workplace/Laws

Hey everyone - Have a a question or two... but first let me tell you that I live in Bucks County, PA and work in Trenton (my father owns the company). I have me license to carry in PA.

My question(s) are this...

1. Am I able to apply through the State Police for a handgun permit even though my residence is out of state?

2. The purpose of this would be to keep a handgun at work (for safety reasons of course). I will be leaving it there, not leaving and coming with it every day. I have read that it is okay to do that as long as you have a permit. Is the true? Or does it have to be the owner of the business that holds the permit?

Hopefully that makes some sense. Any other info you can provide on the subject would be great.

Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-13-2013, 09:45 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 405 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Contact the law enforcement agency where you desire to carry the firearm and ask them those questions. The " a guy on a forum told me I could" defense doesn't hold up too well in court.

My pistols, however, I always kept by me.
Jesse James

Old 08-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #3

I was planning on going to the local state police barracks... but figured if I could gather some info on here first it would be helpful.

Old 08-14-2013, 03:07 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3727 Times on 2284 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebby83
Hey everyone - Have a a question or two... but first let me tell you that I live in Bucks County, PA and work in Trenton (my father owns the company). I have me license to carry in PA.

1. Am I able to apply through the State Police for a handgun permit even though my residence is out of state?

2. The purpose of this would be to keep a handgun at work (for safety reasons of course). I will be leaving it there, not leaving and coming with it every day. I have read that it is okay to do that as long as you have a permit. Is the true? Or does it have to be the owner of the business that holds the permit?

Hopefully that makes some sense. Any other info you can provide on the subject would be great.

Thanks!
If you're referring to Trenton, NJ, the PA permit is not recognized there.

From the State Police Firearms FAQ (sorry, can't link to it - it's a CCW app I have downloaded:

How do I apply for a permit to carry a handgun?
If you reside in New Jersey, you must apply with municipal police department where reside. If the municipality where you reside is serviced by the New Jersey State Police, you must apply at the station which covers your municipality. Out of state residents must apply to the New Jersey State Police station nearest to their geographic location. Armored car employees must apply with the New Jersey State Police, regardless of where they reside.

New Jersey does not have laws which allow individuals with valid permits to carry a handguns from other states to carry a handgun in New Jersey.

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:21 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

If the gun is kept within the property and confines of the business there shouldn't be a problem as long as the business owner is OK with it. For storage purposes for when no one is there a quality safe is highly recommended. The question is who will have access to the firearm during businesses hours? Are there numerous employees? Can they access it? Are any of them prohibited from possessing firearms? Trenton is 2 homicides away from passing the 2012 total and there are over 4 months to go in this year. To be blunt its a drug gang infested **** hole except for a few select areas. I don't blame someone who has a business in the city for thinking of self protection. Just be sure to follow all applicable state laws and/ or city ordinances. As am sure you are aware the gun laws are vastly different then in PA, where in my opinion they have it right compared to NJ.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:01 AM   #6

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebby83 View Post

1. Am I able to apply through the State Police for a handgun permit even though my residence is out of state? Far as I know NJ does not issue permits to non-residents nor does it honor the PA LTCP

2. The purpose of this would be to keep a handgun at work (for safety reasons of course). I will be leaving it there, not leaving and coming with it every day. I have read that it is okay to do that as long as you have a permit. Is the true? Or does it have to be the owner of the business that holds the permit? NJ laws regarding a businessowner possessing a handgun in his place of business are vague at best. My advice would be to contact a lawyer who can give you definitive answers.

Thanks!
Please see my answers above. Just be forewarned, Under NJ law it is illegal to possess a firearm anywhere in the state, except in those few place where they grant an exemption...typically your home, range, place of business and in the field. The business premises part is tricky for out of state residents. As I stated above, contact an attorney who will be better versed in the law than I am. Good luck.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Axxe55 Likes This