no to a permit? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > New Jersey Gun Forum > no to a permit?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 04:40 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
You have a couple of problems- being in NJ is one. The other is the felony conviction. No matter when- there is no time out for those. Also no such thing as a "minor" felony. It is or it ain't.

Under Federal law- (18 US Code, section 922) it is illegal for a convicted felon to possess a firearm. Penalty is 5 years, Federal prison, no probation or parole.

For persons that were convicted of a STATE felony, there IS a process to petition for restoration of gun rights. First step is to hire an attorney in YOUR state.

Persons convicted of a FEDERAL felony have no way to restore gun rights short of a Presidential Pardon.

IF you have not taken care of this, you will be denied a purchase permit, a carry permit, etc etc etc. And that is not just NJ.
Thank you for your answer I was given a certificate of release back in the state of the felony in New Jersey I guess that is similar to an expungement Plus I just took a plea bargain not so much conviction so maybe with all this it may help

Old 11-13-2012, 11:45 PM   #12
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by strix View Post
Thank you for your answer I was given a certificate of release back in the state of the felony in New Jersey I guess that is similar to an expungement Plus I just took a plea bargain not so much conviction so maybe with all this it may help
i would advise talking to an attorney, before going any further on your own. i don't think a certificate of release is the same as expungement, just that you have met the conditions of parole or probation are are released from that. and guessing is a good way to run afoul of the law again. talking to an attorney and finding out for sure would be the best course of action, especially before trying to buy a firearm or caught with one in your possesion.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:37 AM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9507 Times on 4091 Posts
Likes Given: 1492

What he said right up there ^^^^^. Really. No, REALLY.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:09 AM   #14

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Thanks it sounds like I will need it most of my friended think I will get it I hope there right
You may want to contact Evan Nappen, Esq or Scott Bach, Esq directly or through the NJ Second Amendment Society.

http://www.evannappen.com/

http://www.evannappen.com/expungements.html

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 11-14-2012 at 04:15 AM.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:14 AM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Expungement is your only hope.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:57 PM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksman957
Expungement is your only hope.
I live in nj now but it happen in ny and ny has no expungement they have certificate of relief and that I have

Old 12-07-2012, 01:06 PM   #17
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
I live in nj now but it happen in ny and ny has no expungement they have certificate of relief and that I have
without expungement, the felony will always be on your record. better contact a lawyer. getting caught with a firearm within your possession is another felony if convicted. sure trip to prison.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #18

Liked 2005 Times on 1105 Posts
Likes Given: 1341

Are there any exceptions for the OP? What about a muzzle loader? Air Rifle? Are those felonies too? Anyone know for sure?

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

without expungement, the felony will always be on your record. better contact a lawyer. getting caught with a firearm within your possession is another felony if convicted. sure trip to prison.
Even if I have a permit?

Old 12-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

Not breaking any law if I have a permit for it

Closed Thread