NJ Legal AR 15
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > New Jersey Gun Forum > NJ Legal AR 15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default NJ Legal AR 15

Does anyone know what the laws are about buying a gun online and having it shipped to a gunsmith to have it converted to NJ legal.
What i was thinking is making a purchase online of an AR15 and having it shipped to a gunsmith in say PA. There they can make the gun NJ compliant and then ship it on to me.
I am not sure what the legalities are about the purchase of a gun and having it shipped someplace other then the final destination.
Any help or advise would be appreciated. Also if this is a route I can take does anyone know of a gunsmith who does this?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-20-2013, 02:11 PM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidr912 View Post
Does anyone know what the laws are about buying a gun online and having it shipped to a gunsmith to have it converted to NJ legal.
What i was thinking is making a purchase online of an AR15 and having it shipped to a gunsmith in say PA. There they can make the gun NJ compliant and then ship it on to me.
I am not sure what the legalities are about the purchase of a gun and having it shipped someplace other then the final destination.
Any help or advise would be appreciated. Also if this is a route I can take does anyone know of a gunsmith who does this?
Why not just buy a NJ compliant AR? Windham weaponry, STAG and a few others offer NJ neutered ARs off the shelf.

http://www.windhamweaponry.com/content_rifles.asp

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 01-20-2013 at 02:14 PM.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

You won't have an FFL transfer you a rifle unless it's already NJ compliant. Several companies make state compliant rifles. Stag makes them. I bought a PWS MK1 in 5.56. All of their rifles have a pinned muzzle device and NO bayonet lug. All you'd have to do is have your FFL pin the stock which is easy enough to do.

So be aware of who you purchase the rifle from, see if they will do the mods for you. OR just buy it state compliant from the manufacturer and you'd be fine. I would again suggest PWS, great product, and great customer service, not cheap, but then again if you want to buy an AR style rifle today, nothing will be cheap anyway...Good luck. Let us know what you decided on...

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 01-20-2013, 02:41 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2598 Times on 1268 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

And in addition to what drvsafe and Jpyle has advised. Even if the dealer would transfer it. First of all it is illegal for the weapon to enter the State of NJ not compliant. And the transferer even at that would have to have a ATF Manufacturers License to do any such work since the definition of the weapon would be changed! So what you asked can not happen! Sorry! As Jpyle stated you will need to simply purchase a NJ Compliant AR.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 01-20-2013, 02:43 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have been to 3 different local gun shops in the past month and a half several times, and none of them have anything off the shelf. Its a case of waiting at the shop when a shipment comes in. As soon as they are available they are sold. No one is taking orders and a deposit means nothing when there is a guy at the counter with cash in hand in front of you.
I do like Windam, Stag, Colt and Sig but have had no luck.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:02 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

For your review: PWS MK1 State model

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP

Old 01-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #7

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidr912 View Post
I have been to 3 different local gun shops in the past month and a half several times, and none of them have anything off the shelf. Its a case of waiting at the shop when a shipment comes in. As soon as they are available they are sold. No one is taking orders and a deposit means nothing when there is a guy at the counter with cash in hand in front of you.
I do like Windam, Stag, Colt and Sig but have had no luck.
You are going to find that everywhere, post-ban config or not it's just a crazy market right now. I would normally suggest a build at this point but even the parts are on backorder with no known ETA. Where in NJ are you located, perhaps I can suggest a few shops in areas that you haven't tried. Send me a pm...I am in Gloucester County south of Blackwood.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 01-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the link. I did check it. Just like every other place I have checked they are not taking orders at this time and the best guess as to when they will be taking orders again is a year.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:14 PM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Check out Shore Shot in Lakewood, NJ. Last I checked there were some LWRC's in stock. $$$$ though.

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP

Old 01-21-2013, 02:41 AM   #10

Liked 7 Times on 1 Posts

I'm in NJ an am working on putting together a ar15 the only thing I haven't ordered was a upper. I talked to a gun smith about the butt stock because its easier to find a folding stock vs a fix he said he could pin it for me. The only other thing would be a bayonet mount I'm sure any gunsmith in NJ would be able to cut it off. Or you can buy a match type which don't have a bayonet lug. Then anyone can pin the stock.

Or you can just buy a NJ legal one. Stag Arms is a good one but good luck finding one.