newb help with ar build

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > New Jersey Gun Forum > newb help with ar build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2013, 10:18 PM   #1
itr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default newb help with ar build

Hi, I live in nj and I caught the bug to build my own ar15. It all started when I started watching youtube videos about the 80% lower so obviously that is where I want to start my project. My question is will I beable to get everything I need to complete my build without a ffl license? I plan on ordering everything I need online, lower, part's kit, upper, ect. Also the build wont follow nj regulation as I only plan to store it at the build, and use it when sh*t hits the fan. Anyone think that would be a problem in nj? Thanks for your help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-31-2013, 10:43 PM   #2

Liked 465 Times on 258 Posts

Swing by the introductions page and say hello.

Folks will be more than happy to help you out with your project.

I would start by checking with all of your states rules and regs about building your own rifle. I'm not an expert on the subject, but my understanding is some of the rules go out the proverbial window when dealing with 80% lowers cause it is "manufactured" by you.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:20 AM   #3
itr

Ive read somewhere, when doing some research, that you need a manufacturer license in order to complete a 80 lower in nj. If I complete my lower without the license, I dont see how they (gov.) would know I completed and assembled an ar, wouldnt it be off the radar since im not registering anything?

Old 01-01-2014, 01:08 AM   #4

Liked 465 Times on 258 Posts

Off the radar=illegal. Or at least it does in this case. I'm not going to tell you to go ahead and do it, nor am I going to say don't. Just be prepared to pay the piper if and when he comes knocking.
Keep in mind you are posting this on an open forum.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:08 AM   #5

Liked 2194 Times on 1292 Posts
Likes Given: 475

Make sure NJ doesn't have a law or a clause on constructive intent. If it does, simply having all of the parts to build outside of the NJ restrictions could get you in hot water. Looking into moving somewhere AR friendly if it is that important to have an AR in a configuration that isn't legal in your current state.

According to the numbers on moves out of states, NJ is the highest this year, so you wouldn't be alone. Before this year MI held that distinction for quite a while.

Old 01-01-2014, 02:29 AM   #6
itr

Ill do a lil more research but Thanks for the advice guys.