Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   New Jersey Gun Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f143/)
-   -   More documentation??? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f143/more-documentation-72798/)

drvsafe 09-19-2012 08:42 PM

More documentation???

What's the best way to handle the local PD asking for documents other than the standard State police pistol purchase application? I went in March of this year and they told me that my FPID was old and it required updated documentation. So I said, ok, here you go, filled them out and paid my fees.

Now, I'm going to get a new permit to purchase and they are again requiring me to fill out the yellow State Police background check form in addition to the regular application, plus pay an additional $18 for the background check!! The LT. in charge was polite about it, and told me he'd look into it and get back to me.

But what is:
1. The legal requirement in terms of documentation for a pistol purchase permit? What documents are they required to ask for? and
2. How do I handle this properly so as not to piss anyone off and not have to submit more documentation than NJ State Police requires?

kewldevil1 09-28-2012 05:15 AM

Talk to the guys at nj2as. Hopefully ur already a member but in any case bring ur town to the attention of frank fiamingo. There are bringing up law suits against towns that require more then what the state says. Some towns u need a note from your landlord if u rent. Nj is ****ed up. Glad I moved to a free state. Check out gun for hire radio if u haven't they are a great bunch of guys and they have great info if u live in jersey and own a gun.

Jpyle 09-28-2012 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drvsafe (Post 947309)
What's the best way to handle the local PD asking for documents other than the standard State police pistol purchase application? I went in March of this year and they told me that my FPID was old and it required updated documentation. So I said, ok, here you go, filled them out and paid my fees.

Now, I'm going to get a new permit to purchase and they are again requiring me to fill out the yellow State Police background check form in addition to the regular application, plus pay an additional $18 for the background check!! The LT. in charge was polite about it, and told me he'd look into it and get back to me.

But what is:
1. The legal requirement in terms of documentation for a pistol purchase permit? What documents are they required to ask for? and

2. How do I handle this properly so as not to piss anyone off and not have to submit more documentation than NJ State Police requires?

But what is:
Every pistol permit requires a yellow form, the application and a fee, currently $18 to SBI and $2 per permit. The update requirement for your FOID is bull****, not required regardless of how old your old one is unless it is damaged and they issued a replacement. You should not have had to reapply and go through the entire process or be fingerprinted again. This is the biggest gripe about the Jersey process, aside from it's existence...you have a background check for the FOID, then one for the permit, then a NICS when you buy a firearm...then again for every permit and purchase. In a lifetime you may have 2 dozen or more background checks.

The advice to contact NJ2AS is spot on. They are actively forcing all townships in NJ to fully comply with NJ state firearms law. No extra forms, fees or administrative ballbusting. Go to the website and look under Operation Compliance. I have worked with them directly in my town and can give you the contact info for the person leading the effort. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

drvsafe 09-28-2012 12:37 PM

I posted on NJ2A's Facebook page and got an PM from Bob. We spoke and got down to the fact of the matter which was that you are all correct, that the requirement of renewing the FOID is BS and that the yellow form is required. So as soon as I am well (sick as a dog this week) I'm heading out to apply again, this time with money orders in hand.

kewldevil1 09-29-2012 09:22 AM

Good luck. Nj needs to get its head out of it ass. It amazes me that I could now buy 500 handguns and move back to nj and all 500 handguns are voluntary registration but as a resident u are restricted to one every 32 days.

strix 11-12-2012 11:04 PM

I'm getting fingerprinted Thursday I hear its a 3 month wait. I would hate to wait all that time for a no.

drvsafe 01-29-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strix (Post 1012083)
I'm getting fingerprinted Thursday I hear its a 3 month wait. I would hate to wait all that time for a no.

Strix did you get your FPID?

I applied on December 7 2012 for my purchase permit and as of today (January 29th) still no permit. What confounds me is that they have all the documentation and background checks returned to them already yet there is still a delay for someone still has to physically review it and sign off.

It really grinds my gears, we're talking about almost 2 months for something that they state takes 30 days! I'm already in the system, no issues whatsoever.

There should be no reason for this long of a delay.

kewldevil1 01-30-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drvsafe

Strix did you get your FPID?

I applied on December 7 2012 for my purchase permit and as of today (January 29th) still no permit. What confounds me is that they have all the documentation and background checks returned to them already yet there is still a delay for someone still has to physically review it and sign off.

It really grinds my gears, we're talking about almost 2 months for something that they state takes 30 days! I'm already in the system, no issues whatsoever.

There should be no reason for this long of a delay.

It's sad but in some towns the wait is over a year. If u know some one it will be a lot quicker. Mine took about 2 months in Randolph. Just keep calling the issuing officer and ask nicely how much longer it will be.

drvsafe 01-30-2013 05:54 PM

Actually went down to the station since its next to the library. They told me anywhere from Tuesday (after mlk day) to a couple of weeks. The 7th of February will be 2 months.

drvsafe 02-02-2013 04:03 PM

What grinds my gears even more is that one town over in eatontown, my sister got her purchase permit in less than 30 days. She just picked hers up yesterday.
I feel like if I make a stink about it with the PD, they will just put me in the bottom of the pile. What's a person to do? I suppose I am relegated to just sitting tight and waiting.
Btw this is another perfect example of why I'm heading out of the armpit of America called New Jersey.