Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   New Hampshire Gun Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f142/)
-   -   Don't shop at Rileys anymore. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f142/dont-shop-rileys-anymore-70895/)

Mkilbride 08-22-2012 08:44 PM

Don't shop at Rileys anymore.

Loved this store, been going there for years.

Just had a terrible experience.

Purchased a gun, was put on delay. Went back a week later "We lost the paper work"

Did the paper work again, the guy was very rude and acted like I was the *******. Put on delay, again.

Get a call a few days later and I was denied, gun is back on the floor, and come get my money. Reason for being denied? That's personal, can't tell. Personal to me, right? I already own a few guns, I'd like to know why I can't own anymore?

No crime record or anything.

This store, blows, first the lost paper work, then the two delays, then they put the gun back on the floor.

Bastards.

c3shooter 08-22-2012 09:08 PM

As far as losing paperwork, and being rude, THAT is on them.

As far as the denial, THAT is the Insta Check system. As far as the dealer telling you why- THEY DO NOT KNOW. A dealer gets one of 3 responses- proceed, denied, delayed. They GET no reasons.

YOU need to follow up with the folks that do the background checks. If you think YOU got problems, I know a guy named Charles Manson. Really.

orangello 08-22-2012 09:12 PM

IIRC, there is an appeals process you can go through for failing the phone call to NCIS. Take a look at BATF for some guidance: http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/2011/08/090111-nics-resolution-card.pdf

Mkilbride 08-22-2012 09:17 PM

Well it wasn't just the denial, it was the loss of paper work, the rude customer service, then the fact he claimed to have 3 of the guns himself, and yet knew very little. The rest of the employees were all to busy giving dirty looks at people to be helpful.

It's odd, last time I went there, in 2010, the people working there were awesome. We talked about guns, ect, and shared jokes while we did the paperwork and small talk. These new guys...bah, they act like they are dead and DON'T work in a gun store, which is awesome.

nhsuper44 08-25-2012 07:57 PM

Sorry to hear about Riley's..never been there. It sucks to be denied,I have been delayed about 4 times in the past 2years. If it is long guns, it's the feds in VA I think, pistols are the NH state police in Concord. I was told that I can get it straightened out if I go to see the NH state police in Concord.:mad:

orangello 08-25-2012 09:25 PM

At least it isn't a problem in face-to-face, individual sales, no paperwork required and no Ninny-err-Nanny Sam involvement (in free states).

gripper 09-02-2012 01:35 PM

Don' t feel bad
I work as a federal contract armed guard, with redundant state licensing and federal clearances. I own guns outside of work.....and yet, I get denied EVERY time I go thru a NICS screened FFL transaction. And yes, I have an attorney, yes we are working ( at the speed of government) thru the BATF&E to get this stuff unsnarled...at the moment, they let me ride the bus as long as I sit in the back....hopefully, I' ll get this untangled- and my C&R before the end of the decade.

c3shooter 09-02-2012 03:05 PM

Gipper- I feel for you, man- strong possibility you have a name or an address that is similar to a prohibited person. I know a guy who is named Charles Manson- and yes, he has problems with a background check!

When Colorado first implemented their "instant" check system, the Chief of Police for Denver was delayed for 5 days. Go figure.

PanBaccha 09-02-2012 04:17 PM

Charles Manson ... oh, poor s.o.b. :D

gripper 09-02-2012 07:49 PM

Oh- this has dragged on since July 2010.... I had to get into a courtroom knife fight vs NH Dept of Public Safety to get my occupational license back.I did in March 2011, but the hacks up in Concord claim " owning, carrying& working" are a separate ussue from " purchasing thru an FFL....funny thing is, back in 2005 I got approved for a dealer transaction in Massachusetts of all places( Ayer Ma).
The subsequent snarl has the Feds considering me to be two simultaneously opposing things: a Federally cleared armed security contractor AND a " prohibited person"...hence the legal and administrative donneybrook...when I was on the phone with a Debbie Gillum at the NICS/ BATF&E line in WV( conference call with my attorney) I got the impression that they really don' t know exactly how to proceed since I am on federal property/ facilities, armed for 40-50 hrs a week....I guess if they reach a decision either way they know where to find me.