You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > New Hampshire Gun Forum >

Definitive answer to question re NH Pistol/revolver lic?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2016, 09:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Definitive answer to question re NH Pistol/revolver lic?

Been looking around various forums and other resources for a definitive answer to the following question:

Must I have my NH (resident) Pistol/Revolver License on my person when carrying a concealed firearm? If so, will a copy rather than the original suffice?

The applicable RSA's seem to be totally silent on this topic. They clearly state that one must have a license to carry a concealed firearm, but do not state that one must have this document on one's person in original or facsimile form when carrying. I have received conflicting answers to these questions from multiple sources. In my town, a police officer delivers the license to the home of the applicant. I asked this officer and he stated that one must have the original of the license on his person when carrying. Is he correct in this statement? Others have responded to my question stating that one is not required to have the license on one's person at any time. Who can provide an authoritative answer to these questions?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-15-2016, 12:04 AM   #2

Liked 6330 Times on 4167 Posts
Likes Given: 3245

I don't have an authoritative answer. I am not even a resident of NH, although visited your state about a dozen times for classes including a state police qualification shoot.

It is common for state gun laws to have vague spots. You already know that different cops may read it differently. Common sense - save the time and aggravation. Do carry your permit. You never know who your arresting officer is going to be, and what reasonable suspicion they might have about you.

Example. In my state there is positively no penalty for not carrying the supporting paperwork on a legal class III firearm. But I keep it with me, anywhere I go. And the permit.

Old 04-15-2016, 12:12 AM   #3

Quote:
You already know that different cops may read it differently.
Thanks for responding. However, I am looking for a knowledgeable interpretation of NH law, based on the RSA's and applicable case law. My question is a technical question about the law, not a question about good practices etc. I am hoping someone here can point me to relevant info/resources. This question has likely been asked many times before. I have found that police officers are often not up to speed on legal details. I am more interested in how NH judges interpret this issue.

BTW, I do make it a practice to carry a laminated color photo copy (reduced in size as the original is an odd size) with each firearm, usually in the holster or case. The original is a simple piece of paper that would not last the four years for which it is valid carried in a wallet.

Last edited by NHnewbie; 04-15-2016 at 12:20 AM.

Old 04-15-2016, 01:07 AM   #4
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 15540 Times on 6476 Posts
Likes Given: 2519

Quote:
Who can provide an authoritative answer to these questions?
The authoritative answer would need to come from the authorities- specifically your state licensing authority. Have you considered asking them- IN WRITING- for an answer?

Sadly, none of us here will be the authorities that are engaged in the enforcement of your state laws.

*translation- the only two attorneys here have been traumatized by some of the questions, and were last seen curled on the floor in a fetal position beneath their computers. Legal advice given on the internet is worth every penny you pay for it. None of us will be sitting beside you in court if it is bad advice.*
People Like This 
Old 04-15-2016, 01:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Sadly, none of us here will be the authorities that are engaged in the enforcement of your state laws.
So, I was thinking I was posting on the NH Gun Forum. Apparently not.

Old 04-15-2016, 12:27 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7631 Times on 4073 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHnewbie View Post
So, I was thinking I was posting on the NH Gun Forum. Apparently not.
you can take such a question to the supreme court of the united states and will get a split 5-4 decision. in other words there is no way you will ever get a 100% definitive decision on anything involving the law.

i was in law enforcement in my past. copies of identification cards are not proof of identification. as an officer, if a person presented a copy of a license as proof i would arrest them for falsifying identification then let a juge sort it out.

in my opinion your chanes are greatly increased of getting arrested if you present copies of an id card as an id card.

as it sounds you have already decided what you want to do, its your business.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 04-15-2016, 04:16 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5167 Times on 3229 Posts

A photocopy of a license can easily be forged or altered. The original cannot easily. If you are worried about wearing out your license, get a protective sleeve for it.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:48 PM   #8

Liked 689 Times on 405 Posts

Just carry the original. Whats the big deal?
locutus Likes This 
Old 04-17-2016, 01:18 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I've carried mine in my wallet since '89, never had a problem with It wearing out. Been wet many times.

The copy is a bad idea Carry the original

Regards

Old 04-30-2016, 02:01 PM   #10

I was told this AM, by the local gun store owner in NH "Just have it on you to avoid any issues whatsoever".
I wish NH gave nice licenses, like a drivers license format, rather than a piece of paper.
But, you can get the credit card type sleeve, fold it up, put it in there...