Front Sight Firearms Institute
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Nevada Gun Forum > Front Sight Firearms Institute

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 08:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

Default Front Sight Firearms Institute

Anyone a member, plan on or want to be a member?

Have you checked out the iPhone / iPad app?

There onsite ammo guys a very reasonable and so much easier than traveling with a trunk full of ammo...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-18-2012, 02:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpupp View Post
Anyone a member, plan on or want to be a member?

Have you checked out the iPhone / iPad app?

There onsite ammo guys a very reasonable and so much easier than traveling with a trunk full of ammo...
I'm a member but haven't been yet. Making my first trip with a friend in April for the 4-day defensive handgun course. Do you have prices for the on-site ammo? If not, how do I go about getting prices? We are dealing with that issue now, trying to figure out how best to have 1,200 rounds of .45acp when we arrive (currently looking to having it dropped shipped by CheaperThanDirt to the hotel). Happy to keep the money local if the prices are right.

Didn't know they had an app, thanks for the heads up. Just found it and am downloading to my 4s.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:20 AM   #3

That's where you will find ammo prices, or you can go to
http://www.stockpiledefense.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?display=home
They are the providers..

Old 02-27-2012, 04:40 AM   #4

Quote:
That's where you will find ammo prices, or you can go to
http://www.stockpiledefense.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?display=home
They are the providers..
Got the app now, thanks! Ammo prices are fair, looks like I'll be buying 600 rnds at Front Sight!

Old 02-27-2012, 07:48 AM   #5

Enjoy your class.

If you know anyone or meet anyone there that needs a DIAMOND level membership, tell them to send me a message. I can hook them up cheap...

Try to get your hotel reservations in Pahrump as early as possible too.

Be safe and shoot straight

Mud

Old 03-01-2012, 02:15 AM   #6

Likes Given: 1

Pahrump has a Wal Mart

" Rule Number Two"

Old 03-01-2012, 04:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmorris
Pahrump has a Wal Mart
If it is like any of the Las Vegas walmarts, the ammo racks are empty.

Thanks to barrack obutthead, the prices are up, production down and hoarding is in full swing.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #8

Quote:
If it is like any of the Las Vegas walmarts, the ammo racks are empty.

Thanks to barrack obutthead, the prices are up, production down and hoarding is in full swing.
Well, not to defend Obama, but hoarding is our personal decision, and the primary reason prices are up is because commodities are up. For example, copper skyrocketed from a low of $0.58 per pound to $4.50 on Bush's watch, then actually came down a little (to the high $3.00s) during Obamas. That's what happens when we fight two wars of choice.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mes227

Well, not to defend Obama, but hoarding is our personal decision, and the primary reason prices are up is because commodities are up. For example, copper skyrocketed from a low of $0.58 per pound to $4.50 on Bush's watch, then actually came down a little (to the high $3.00s) during Obamas. That's what happens when we fight two wars of choice.
Then why didn't the price of ammo take off and the hoarding begin till Nov 2008?

Old 03-06-2012, 08:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Then why didn't the price of ammo take off and the hoarding begin till Nov 2008?
As I said, hoarding is a personal decision and hardly anyone's fault but the hoarders (and the blogs they read). As to copper price, it actually reached it's historic high in Aug-Sept 2008, so there's a close correlation between metal price and ammo price, as one would expect. The price then dropped in 2009, but it bottomed at 4 times what it was just a few years before, but by then hoarding had taken over. Then copper price started to climb again and by last 2010 had reached even new highs. Some examples. After the year the 1st number is the price per pound for copper, the 2nd number is the Producer Price Index (average wholesale price) for "Small Arms Ammunition" as published by the US Bureau of Labor Stats:

Jun 1999 $0.60, 124
Jan 2006 $2.15, 127
Jan 2007 $2.50, 140
Jan 2008 $3.00, 180
Sep 2008 $4.10, 188

These are shown on the graph. The top one is copper price v. year, the bottom one the PPI for the same time frame. While the correlations are imperfect they are very close. It's clear to me why the price went up in 2008, and probably was mostly due to metal prices and only slightly influenced by hoarding. I work in mining and all input costs skyrocketed during the period - at roughly the same rate as ammo. I didn't take the time to track the oil prices (the other main input into ammunition prices, because it influences both production (from metal smelting to assembling ctgs) and distribution, but the global crude prices also rose sharply in this period, closely tracking copper price (or visa versa).

The recent climb, though, is not so clear. Metal prices have gone down but ammo prices rose 10%. I believe (but have no evidence to support) that this is mostly hoarding since the other main inputs, oil and labor, have either been about flat (oil) or flat to declining (labor). This conclusion is supported by the many (though mostly antidotal) reports of gun and ammo hoarding. I'm sure there are stats available, I just haven't dug in enough to find them.

Graphs: Top, Copper price v. year. Bottom, Ammunition producer price index v. year.
screen-shot-2012-03-06-3.59.53-pm.jpg