Your thoughts for a noob on gun safes. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Your thoughts for a noob on gun safes.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2011, 10:57 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis845 View Post
I'm going to take the liberty and assume you are a young person. I will also assume your interest in guns will expand during your life time to maybe include hunting, trap, skeet, target shooting, etc.
Not a young person anymore. (32yrs) Guess I'm just late in the gun game!

And yes, my interest will expand. It already has and I haven't even made my first purchase yet. (I'm in the research/education phase.)

Old 09-14-2011, 11:01 PM   #12

Liked 2117 Times on 1351 Posts
Likes Given: 1217

Of course you are, Grasshopper.
After your head says your needs are fulfilled, the heart will answer, "not yet, sucker"!
You are going to need someplace to keep your next ten pieces.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:35 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1048 Times on 633 Posts
Likes Given: 232

is 30 minute fire rating adequate? Looking at both 30 minute and 60 minute, and the 60 minute one cost's twice as much.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:10 AM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliegirl View Post
Hi guys, as some of you know, I'm in the process of getting a few hand guns and part of that is deciding whether or not to get a safe. I have no children, nor do I plan to ever have any. Also, children rarely, if ever, come to my house. My primary reason for getting hand guns is for protection. My plan is to keep a pistol by my bedside (that one will be my CC), one stashed downstairs and one stashed in the garage. That being said, is it odd to not want a gun safe? I'm sure there is something I am overlooking, which is why I'm bringing this to the forum.
Build a false wall in your closet/house. Depending on the materials used it can be fireproof. Then don't tell/show anybody (except your significant other of course..) Good thing for hunting rifles/shotguns that you don't use much and ammo, cleaning stuff etc.

Any handgun you use should live in a holster not far from you like you mentioned and not be locked up somewhere or in a garage.

Just some thoughts. Other opinions may vary.

OC

"magbum"

Old 09-15-2011, 03:26 AM   #15
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2337 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 846

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
is 30 minute fire rating adequate? Looking at both 30 minute and 60 minute, and the 60 minute one cost's twice as much.
I figure that a fire rated safe is "good" to have, but in reality, I figure the insurance will be buying me new guns if I have a fire. I'll miss my grandfather's and great-grandfather's shotguns, but everything else is easily replaced.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 09-15-2011, 04:32 AM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6035 Times on 3164 Posts
Likes Given: 433

a major reason to get one is if you go on vacation your not gonna want to leave em all laying about. the wife and i keep one long gun out and each of us have a pistol out everything else is in the safe.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-15-2011, 11:35 AM   #17
Jay

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

I don't know about other safe manufacturers, but If your safe is damaged in a break-in attempt, or is damaged by fire, Liberty will replace it.

NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 09-16-2011, 04:20 PM   #18

i am looking to buy a gun safe some time soon i am thinking this one what do you guys think
70709 - Winchester Ranger Series 19 Gun Safe Holds Up to 24 Long Guns Drop Ship Only Charcoal Finish

Old 09-16-2011, 04:31 PM   #19

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 12

If you are talking about a first handgun that you keep handy for home defense there are some secure options like this. Bolted to something solid it is pretty secure as well as being hidden if you choose. Once your collection grows I would consider a gun safe that is decent quality that will protect against fire as well. You will need to spend a little money for that though, but worth it as your collection grows.

http://youtu.be/CcJUGuB35y8

Glenn
FAS1SAFE