Your thoughts for a noob on gun safes.
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Your thoughts for a noob on gun safes.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2011, 04:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Your thoughts for a noob on gun safes.

Hi guys, as some of you know, I'm in the process of getting a few hand guns and part of that is deciding whether or not to get a safe. I have no children, nor do I plan to ever have any. Also, children rarely, if ever, come to my house. My primary reason for getting hand guns is for protection. My plan is to keep a pistol by my bedside (that one will be my CC), one stashed downstairs and one stashed in the garage. That being said, is it odd to not want a gun safe? I'm sure there is something I am overlooking, which is why I'm bringing this to the forum.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-14-2011, 05:01 PM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm going to take the liberty and assume you are a young person. I will also assume your interest in guns will expand during your life time to maybe include hunting, trap, skeet, target shooting, etc. Most people will accumulate many valuables they don't want stolen or lost in a home fire (mortgage papers, jewelery, tax documents, pictures, coin, cash, etc.). A good safe is piece of mind especially when you're not at home. A residential safes primary purpose is to prevent smash & grabs and/or give you a limited amount of time of fire protection if the model you selected has it. Rule #1 in purchasing a safe is; buy one at least twice the size as you think you need. They're are many good brand names to select from, depending on budget. A decent quality safe will set you back about $1,500.00. Of course you can spend much less, depending on the level of protection you desire. The models I looked at were Patriot Safes, Liberty Safes, Browning Safes, Ft. Knox Safes and a couple of lesser known ones. I eventually found a Liberty Fat Boy safe on sale and purchased it. No regrets. Because of my eye sight and access speed, I had the tumbler lock changed out to the e-lock. Quick and snappy to access the contents. Good luck.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:57 PM   #3

Liked 63 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A lot of the decision depends on crime in your area. Are there a lot of home burglaries where you are?

Also, he raises a good point.....are you enough of a fan that your inventory is liable to grow?

Old 09-14-2011, 06:05 PM   #4
Jay

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I too, bought a Liberty Safe. It has a 45 min fire rating at 1200 degrees, weighs 710 pounds, and is bolted to a concrete floor. I insisted on a manual combination lock. Statistically, the electronic combination locks are much more trouble prone than the manual ones, and I would hate to need access to my safe and be foiled by a dead/dying battery. Obviously, a personal preference, but that's mine. Buy as large a safe as you can possibly afford.

Some of my toys

Old 09-14-2011, 07:14 PM   #5

Liked 339 Times on 271 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Eventually...anyone with an expanding firearms collection should own a decent safe. After all, that's basically an expanding hard asset/investment.

I need to add a safe myself in the near future. Until you take this step, I'd recommend reviewing your homeowner's insurance. And if you're a renter, be aware that you can add basic renter's insurance onto most auto insurance policies for just $10-15/month. That's a lot of peace of mind for $150/yr.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:26 PM   #6

Liked 1728 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 374

A decent safe will keep most of the crooks out of you stuff. The best safe won't keep the pros out of you stuff. If a man has an hour and a Sawzall, he can get into most safes, but most thieves do not want to spend an hour in your house.

My gun safe houses my wife's jewelry, important documents and my favorite firearms. It makes me feel better when I am not home. That is worth the expense to me.

Carl Sagan

Old 09-14-2011, 08:59 PM   #7

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts

I recently got a gun locker (not a safe) just to keep kids locked out.

Unless you bolt down your safe, the robbers could just wheel it out easily if they are prepared at all for stealing safes.
. Mossberg 500 12g
. Stoeger Coach 12g
RIFLES:
. Remington 700 300 WinMag
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223
. Ruger 10/22 22LR (x2)
. Rossi 1892 Lever 357
HANDGUNS:
. Remington R1 & R1S 1911 45 ACP (x2)
. Springfield Armory XDm 45 ACP
. Beretta Px4 Storm 45 ACP
. Beretta 92FS 9mm (x2)
. Ruger Vaquero 357 (x2)
. Ruger LCR 357
. Ruger LCP 380
. Ruger 22/45 22LR
. Walther P22 22LR

Old 09-14-2011, 09:32 PM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3569 Times on 1719 Posts
Likes Given: 1781

A safe is a great thing to have and a piece of mind when you are gone from home. There are many good safe manufacturers out there. Liberty, Browning, Champion and others. Depending on your location regarding stairs on the level you probably would not need a gigantic safe. But I would recommend a decent size safe that is fireproof for a specified period and certainly heavy enough that two thugs could not pick it up and carry it out the door. I have a large safe and empty it weighs well over 1000 lbs. and will hold around 50 guns.It is a Champion and I like it very well. Also read up on safes and the best locking bolt systems. Some are good and some are marginal and can be easier to enter. But for your use I would say maybe a 20 gun safe would do the job and give you some room to grow. As one had mentioned before they are also good for keeping your valuable papers, jewelry and other items in. Regarding keeping a weapon in various locations around the house, garage and other areas. That is not a bad idea as long as they would be hard to find with you knowing the exact location.
A weapon would not do you any good in a safe if you were to need it while in the garage for example. Good Luck!

Old 09-14-2011, 09:54 PM   #9

There are increasingly more home invasions in the area I live in (which is somewhat odd because I live in a wooded, rural area with only two ways out - one north, the other south). But also, my place of work moved to a new building and has some real creepers that hang out in the parking garage. So, I've got two reasons really pushing me to do so. I've always had plans of getting a gun or three. So, yes, I can definitely see owning more than one gun down the road.

Thanks for the brand names on safes!

Old 09-14-2011, 09:56 PM   #10
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2474 Times on 1326 Posts
Likes Given: 879

I picked up a Liberty Centurion from Gander Mountain earlier this year for $600 on sale. It's rated 45min for fire. I'd recommend you consider one. Smash and grab type burglaries have been on the rise in our neighborhood, so I figured it was time to become a "responsible" gun owner.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA