Your Safe Room - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Your Safe Room

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 09:59 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 186 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Some very thoughtful posts. The dogs shown above are beautiful. Any home with a dog is very unlikely to be burglarized. They are the best defense against thieves.

As noted, with kids around, you need to take special precautions. Fortunately, since kids are not that tall, you can use height to keep things away from them. Also, with a kid around, an UN-chambered semi-auto is a safer bet. Whereas then a revolver would be dangerous.

Women are yet a different story. Should you train your wife or sweetie (or both) to shoot? In light of the fact that most murders are committed by someone you know personally or are related to? The statistics say "no" resoundingly.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:55 PM   #12
AZL

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
Some very thoughtful posts. The dogs shown above are beautiful. Any home with a dog is very unlikely to be burglarized. They are the best defense against thieves.

As noted, with kids around, you need to take special precautions. Fortunately, since kids are not that tall, you can use height to keep things away from them. Also, with a kid around, an UN-chambered semi-auto is a safer bet. Whereas then a revolver would be dangerous.

Women are yet a different story. Should you train your wife or sweetie (or both) to shoot? In light of the fact that most murders are committed by someone you know personally or are related to? The statistics say "no" resoundingly.
My wife is a police officer, and my daughter is a gun safe kid with a Sig Mosquito, a Smith & Wesson Model 10, Glock 19, Colt M4 in 22lr, Ruger 10/22 AND for her next birthday...she gets her American Spirit 9mm M4 Carbine.

My dobies are K9 trained dogs...and EXTREMELY protective of my midget. My 95lb female boxer is mysanthropic in the extreme, and likewise utterly devoted to my daughter. I was a cop for 23 years and 7 of those years were with SWAT. Oh...I think my home is safe.

My "biological security measures" are landsharks.

Surprize me...hose out your mangina, quit whining and actually DO something.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:00 PM   #13
AZL

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
I live in a double wide modular home, a safe "room" is not an option for me. My safety will have to come from my training,experience,and accuracy
Hit 'em with yer banjo bro!

J/K....my first home was a manufactured home. I discovered to my great chagrin that they are not much better than a carboard box as far as security goes. Thank God everyone in the neighborhood was scared ****less of my first doberman. His name was Jaeger...rest his soul.

I could take my 74 Sting Ray convertible (back when I was single and had disposable income) to the WORST section of South Tucson, leave the engine running, the top down, and go into a store...and with him in the car...I KNEW it would be there when I came out.

Surprize me...hose out your mangina, quit whining and actually DO something.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:12 PM   #14

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZL

Hit 'em with yer banjo bro!

J/K....my first home was a manufactured home. I discovered to my great chagrin that they are not much better than a carboard box as far as security goes. Thank God everyone in the neighborhood was scared ****less of my first doberman. His name was Jaeger...rest his soul.

I could take my 74 Sting Ray convertible (back when I was single and had disposable income) to the WORST section of South Tucson, leave the engine running, the top down, and go into a store...and with him in the car...I KNEW it would be there when I came out.
Dang,i dont live that far in the country, mine is built like a house but it still has the thin walls

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 01-10-2012, 05:57 PM   #15
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:

I still disagree with the kids and guns thoughts...to re-enforce my thoughts, see below.

Wife first day out with what was supposed to be HER PF-9.
IMHO not too bad for a one time anti gun, gun hater...

My youngest first up with the revolver...

A couple weeks later....6 shots, 6 hits, 2 between the eyes, one in the mouth...

hmmm after viewing these, we need to make another trip to the range and SOON!!!

and the "Land shark"! My 100 lb lab!

for those he knows and likes/loves, the most vicious part is his tail, for those hes not sure about...LOOK OUT! He protects (and has) his canoe, truck, home, yard and family with a ferocity unmatched!

HAY AZL, you shoulda posted those pup pics in the "For the dogs" thread i started. A couple warm and fuuzzy looking fur babies you have there!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 01-10-2012, 07:02 PM   #16

The dog by the cattails is probably thinking, "Now where are those ducks hiding at?"

Old 01-10-2012, 11:37 PM   #17
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
The dog by the cattails is probably thinking, "Now where are those ducks hiding at?"
LOL!!

It too some doing to UNtrain those natural instincts...i am NOT a water fowler. The first year out trout fishing, he would actually jump out of the canoe and chase after geese and ducks we would happen upon in the course of a float chasing trout.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 01-11-2012, 06:51 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
LOL!!

It too some doing to UNtrain those natural instincts...i am NOT a water fowler. The first year out trout fishing, he would actually jump out of the canoe and chase after geese and ducks we would happen upon in the course of a float chasing trout.
A good dog, then!