Your Safe Room
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Your Safe Room

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 05:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 200 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Default Your Safe Room

Jodie Foster in her movie calls it a "panic room."

We ourself here refer to it as our safe room, however.

The place that works best for me is that bedroom highest and deepest into my home which I keep separately locked and where I sleep and keep my gun safe with all my guns.

It is rather like the holy of holies of King Solomon's Temple described in the book of Kings. And the gunsafe itself is like the Ark. And within it are the implements which protect individual and political freedom.

The safe is locked, the safe room is locked, and the home itself is locked, so 3 locks protect it.

Some kind of handgun or shotgun or assault rifle, depending on whom you talk to, is the mainstay of instant immediate protection. I have heard arguments supporting each of these three.

I suppose it all depends on how many preloaded rounds you need to feel safe in your neighborhood, whether 6, 14, or 30 is enough. At different points in my life, I have gone through each perspective. Now I am happy with only 6. But I keep several more additional rounds on the holster itself, in the unlikely event that I might need to reload.

I don't believe in hiding guns elsewhere around the house. But I know that others do. I don't answer the door for anyone at any time that I have any doubts about. And if I have any doubts, then I grab a gun first and I conceal it. That is one reason alone that a big framed handgun is not alone a good home defense weapon, because you cannot conceal it. And you would freak someone out if you openly wore or carried it while answering the door.

So my rule is that all guns go into the safe, where the safe keeps all the guns safe all day long, locked, when I am not there, and there are no other guns hidden about the house.

When I come home, the first thing I do is go to the safe and unlock it. Then everything in it is available to me, if and when I need it. If kids are around the house, though, then I need to make adjustments to this procedure, since kids and guns are dangerous whenever they connect.

The safe stays unlocked all evening and night, until I get ready to leave for work.

The safe is bolted to the floor, so it cannot be easily removed by a thief.

In this sense, I operate my safe like an armory, where everything is under lock and key and combination.

And I wonder what other folks are doing to address all these safety issues?

Last edited by Shoobee; 01-09-2012 at 05:34 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-09-2012, 12:00 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Most of mine stay on display in my glass front cabinet. What isn't in the cabinet and not hanging on the rack, I carry on a regular basis. We don't have any kids yet, so it's not a big issue. Our nephews come to stay with us quite often though, and they're under a good fear of touching my guns and even my cabinet for that matter. But curiosity always gets to kids, so if they want to see them or touch them, I am glad to get em out and of course safety check them. Then I'll let the little fellas get their fix before I put em up. I don't keep my cabinet locked, but it does make a distinctive sound. I never have heard them try to mess with it. I was raised up around them. I had my own when I was 4, and while I was never to touch it without permission first, it was there, loaded and ready. I feel like knowledge of firearms is the best firearms safety in the world. As for the thieves, well I gotta camera system on my house. Good luck to them not being seen.

Last edited by DodgeThis; 01-09-2012 at 12:04 PM. Reason: typo

Old 01-09-2012, 12:44 PM   #3

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

We are in the planning stage for a small bathroom upstairs in our house.
It will only be large enough for a sink, toilet, and shower. We will put it at the top of the stairs in the landing between two bedrooms. Original construction is plaster and lath on dimension lumber built in the 1920's.

I want to make this new room a safe room. I will do the prelim work pulling the carpet, taking out the plaster and lath and building the one wall with a door that is needed. I've been thinking of using 2x6's for the wall to give extra strength. I have some sheets of 4x8 siding that I think I will use under the outside facing sheetrock to help prevent breaking through the wall. Then a good steel door with extra long fasteners in the jamb and hinges. Probably a dead bolt in the door as well. With new construction a feature like a hidden gun, flashlight, and cell phone compartment would be easy. I have a couple of unused small breaker boxes that would be simple to mount in the wall and cover with a wall decoration.

An old cell phone will work to call 911 even if it isn't assigned to a phone number. I have a couple of old cell phones that I can charge and use for this. My brain is having a good time planning this out.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 01-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2865 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Mine is a first floor room (won't say exactly where), 2 X 6 studs, 3/4" CDX X2 on the inside, cross oriented, glued and screwed. Outside, 3/4" hot rolled steel made for road maintenance "crossing plates". Comes in standard 4 X 8 sheets, screwed to studs. paneling glued to that. It is not completely bullet proof, but you better bring AP .30 cal or larger and get a good straight angle at it which is difficult becasue of the placement of the room. Should hold up to an F-4 tornado. Nothing short of a granite cave holds up to F-5

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-09-2012, 05:39 PM   #5

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Ya'll know something I dont

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 01-09-2012, 05:55 PM   #6
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
Jodie Foster in her movie calls it a "panic room."

We ourself here refer to it as our safe room, however.

The place that works best for me is that bedroom highest and deepest into my home which I keep separately locked and where I sleep and keep my gun safe with all my guns.

It is rather like the holy of holies of King Solomon's Temple described in the book of Kings. And the gunsafe itself is like the Ark. And within it are the implements which protect individual and political freedom.

The safe is locked, the safe room is locked, and the home itself is locked, so 3 locks protect it.

Some kind of handgun or shotgun or assault rifle, depending on whom you talk to, is the mainstay of instant immediate protection. I have heard arguments supporting each of these three.

I suppose it all depends on how many preloaded rounds you need to feel safe in your neighborhood, whether 6, 14, or 30 is enough. At different points in my life, I have gone through each perspective. Now I am happy with only 6. But I keep several more additional rounds on the holster itself, in the unlikely event that I might need to reload.

I don't believe in hiding guns elsewhere around the house. But I know that others do. I don't answer the door for anyone at any time that I have any doubts about. And if I have any doubts, then I grab a gun first and I conceal it. That is one reason alone that a big framed handgun is not alone a good home defense weapon, because you cannot conceal it. And you would freak someone out if you openly wore or carried it while answering the door.

So my rule is that all guns go into the safe, where the safe keeps all the guns safe all day long, locked, when I am not there, and there are no other guns hidden about the house.

When I come home, the first thing I do is go to the safe and unlock it. Then everything in it is available to me, if and when I need it. If kids are around the house, though, then I need to make adjustments to this procedure, since kids and guns are dangerous whenever they connect.

The safe stays unlocked all evening and night, until I get ready to leave for work.

The safe is bolted to the floor, so it cannot be easily removed by a thief.

In this sense, I operate my safe like an armory, where everything is under lock and key and combination.

And I wonder what other folks are doing to address all these safety issues?
Locks only keep honest people honest! Locks are simple things to foil!

The LAST thing i worry about is "Freaking people out" when they come to MY home. I have been known to answer the door in boxers with the 1911 strapped to my hip. ( i wonder why the jehovas witnesses never came back....i thought it was a pleasant enough conversation )

I leave loaded guns "lay around" in three rooms, not hidden, with no worrys about my kids...actually, i worry FOR the scumbag that decides to break in, even if my youngest (13) is here alone.

My entire house is my "safe room"!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 01-09-2012, 06:11 PM   #7

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj

Locks only keep honest people honest! Locks are simple things to foil!

The LAST thing i worry about is "Freaking people out" when they come to MY home. I have been known to answer the door in boxers with the 1911 strapped to my hip. ( i wonder why the jehovas witnesses never came back....i thought it was a pleasant enough conversation )

I leave loaded guns "lay around" in three rooms, not hidden, with no worrys about my kids...actually, i worry FOR the scumbag that decides to break in, even if my youngest (13) is here alone.

My entire house is my "safe room"!
Locks, dog, alarm, safe....in order, the systems that will need to be defeated if you want my guns, and I'm not home.

If I'm there, well.....see fmj's post quoted above.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #8
AZL

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My SAFE ROOM....any freakin' room I happen to be standing in.

Any freakin' room where my wife happens to be.

Any freakin' room where my daughter happens to be with:

dogs-1.jpg  

Surprize me...hose out your mangina, quit whining and actually DO something.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:15 PM   #9
AZL

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Seriously though....if you can get through the layers of physical defenses, then the layers of biological defenses (three dobes and a 95lb boxer)...then you will have one helluva hard time getting into the master suite or the midget's room. The walls are NOT drywall....they are 3/4 plywood with drywall over them (fire rated) and the doors are steel with deadbolts.

The bathtub is an OLD cast iron claw foot job that my daughter will hunker down in while the three Browning Gun Safes will provide real cover. And...yes...there is a way out.

Surprize me...hose out your mangina, quit whining and actually DO something.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #10

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I live in a double wide modular home, a safe "room" is not an option for me. My safety will have to come from my training,experience,and accuracy

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis