Your range rituals...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Your range rituals...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2014, 03:45 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 581 Times on 277 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Default Your range rituals...

So..going to the range today...I try to get there at least once per week.

We all have rituals in terms of what we shoot. For me, its fairly easy...I only own 4 handguns and two rifles (I know, deprived. Lol) so I bring all except the 22 rifle and shoot them all.

• S&W M&P 15 .556 to start things off
  • Ruger 22/45
  • Bersa Thunder 380
  • Glock 19 Gen 14 (mod)
  • CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical
What do you bring to the range to shoot ? Do you get there often ? What do you bring to shoot normally...Is your range pretty cool (allows rapid fire, etc.) or are they range Nazi's...

"All war must be just the killing of strangers against whom you feel no personal animosity; strangers whom, in other circumstances, you would help if you found them in trouble, and who would help you if you needed it" — Mark Twain

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-22-2014, 03:58 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5982 Times on 3130 Posts
Likes Given: 426

I don't really have any range set in stone routines. I try to stay away from a set rote do this then that type thing it goes against my nature.

Typically I take one or two firearms but I go with a purpose. Its either ammo testing as I'm working up a load or getting ready for the winter hunt. Or its practice session with either optics or iron sights. Sometimes I'll bring a gun I've been modifying for function testing or zeroing optics.

The range I shoot on is 1 shot per second no rapid bullet hosing. I like that rule when shooting amongst the general public. There are a LOT of ninja types that think holding guns sideways to shoot is how its done. I don't like being around people mag dumping and generally being an ass-hat.

If I want to practice shooting fast I have other places I can do that.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-22-2014, 04:10 PM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3094 Times on 1778 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

A strong belief that someone above will help me keep a steady hand, clear eyes, and quiet mouth.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-22-2014, 04:13 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2621 Times on 1828 Posts
Likes Given: 1339

I usually take out one gun at a time. So I can focus on its behavior, as well as my handling of it. My range sessions are short, because you do your best in the first half hour (if you waste no time). Then you just have fun blowing away the ammo.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:13 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 766 Posts
Likes Given: 704

i normally take several firearms. depends on what i feel like playing with. but usually the HD gun goes everytime and gets used. always good to keep up your skill with the ones your most likely to use.. now as fall is aproaching most of the guns that get played with are for hunting to get re-aquainted with them and verify zeros. after season up untill mid summer its back to play shooting. just working on basics. once in awhile i get to do a training session.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:16 PM   #6
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2321 Times on 1251 Posts
Likes Given: 840

The only thing I think is consistent is I always take one of my 22's.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
CrazedJava Likes This 
Old 08-23-2014, 05:38 AM   #7

Liked 205 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant_one View Post
So..going to the range today...I try to get there at least once per week.

We all have rituals in terms of what we shoot. For me, its fairly easy...I only own 4 handguns and two rifles (I know, deprived. Lol) so I bring all except the 22 rifle and shoot them all.
  • S&W M&P 15 .556 to start things off
  • Ruger 22/45
  • Bersa Thunder 380
  • Glock 19 Gen 14 (mod)
  • CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical
What do you bring to the range to shoot ? Do you get there often ? What do you bring to shoot normally...Is your range pretty cool (allows rapid fire, etc.) or are they range Nazi's...
I only bring one gun with me and I focus on that weapon.

For the deer rifle, I fire 3 rounds from a benched sandbagged position.

Then I take the middle of the triangle formed by the impacts, and I adjust the scope to center it.

Then I fire 3 more.

If centered, the day is over with. If not then I repeat the above steps until they are centered.

For the carbine, I fire 5 rounds from the bipod benched, and proceed as with the deer rifle.

For the pistol, I first chalk my footprints.

Then I fire 10 rounds two handed.

Then 10 rounds one handed.

Then 10 rounds with the other hand one handed.

Then it's time to go home.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
The only thing I think is consistent is I always take one of my 22's.
I used to have a 22LR but I got rid of it.

Now I have a 5.56x45mm.

About the same diameter, just longer range -- 500 yds.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
I usually take out one gun at a time. So I can focus on its behavior, as well as my handling of it. My range sessions are short, because you do your best in the first half hour (if you waste no time). Then you just have fun blowing away the ammo.
Exactly !!!

Old 08-23-2014, 05:48 AM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

hell, i can take all of mine! the great wonder of having a shooting right in your backyard.

i use old wooden pallets for target holders and have them set up at different ranges from 25 yards to 100 yards. for pistol shooting, i use the one set at 25 yards and have markers for 5, 7, and 10 yards.

i haven't shot at a public gun range in over twenty five years now. with having a shooting range in the backyard, it gives my father and brother a place to practice as well.