Your house is broken into
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Your house is broken into

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 06:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Your house is broken into

So now a days since there is a lot more access to guns and knifes now this is a hard question and it could be anything but what should you expect the person to have when they are breaking into your house like I said it's a long shot and you never know until it happens

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-28-2013, 06:26 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledhead97
So now a days since there is a lot more access to guns and knifes now this is a hard question and it could be anything but what should you expect the person to have when they are breaking into your house like I said it's a long shot and you never know until it happens
Well. I guess it depends on a lot of different factors. Such as, where you live, what kind of neighborhood you live in, is there a lot of gang activity in your area, are you home, do you have dogs or an alarm system, are you rich, etc.

But I would think at the very least a handgun.... That's the mindset I have, at any rate.

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:37 AM   #3

Liked 195 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I'd expect them to have a gun. That way you're prepared for worst case scenario. Or least likely case. I think worst case would be a freakin flame thrower or something, but I don't think too many hoods have one those.

I haven't heard of anyone in my area being shot by an intruder and there's really not any gang activity that I know of. There's a lot of wannabe's but I'd be more worried about them trying to do something stupid like play the knock out game. They're mostly knuckleheads or meth heads.

Anyway, plan for a gun.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:06 AM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357

Well. I guess it depends on a lot of different factors. Such as, where you live, what kind of neighborhood you live in, is there a lot of gang activity in your area, are you home, do you have dogs or an alarm system, are you rich, etc.

But I would think at the very least a handgun.... That's the mindset I have, at any rate.
I mean I live in a good neighborhood but something can always go wrong and yes my mind set is that they will always have a gun on them and if push comes to shove I'm the one making it out of my own house

Old 08-28-2013, 07:07 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 240 Times on 156 Posts

I think that if you research the statistics, you'll find the odds of home intruders you don't know is pretty low.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:36 AM   #6

Liked 32 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 19

To be perfectly honest most wouldn't be armed at all or with a knife. Even so I say be prepared to defend against someone at least as well armed as you. It's just good tactics really.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:23 AM   #7

Liked 128 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Colorado's Make My Day Law allows me to use lethal force on a intruder and be free of prosecution and civil action.Im going to assume the unwanted intruder is armed.We do have a home security system that will go off even if a window is opened.If the burglar makes it inside,he's not going to be walking out.I also look at the city's police crime map once in awhile as well to see what crimes occur and what areas.Our neighbor is very low crime,but there are spots of trespassing and burglaries here and there.But along with a gun, a couple of pitbulls and a large Rottweiler patrolling the yard would make any potential burglar have a very bad night

Last edited by WillWork4Ammo; 08-28-2013 at 08:26 AM.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:28 AM   #8
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8471 Times on 4904 Posts
Likes Given: 11033

It all depends on your specific neighborhood. I talk to the sheriff's deputies in my neighborhood (we are in a rural area) and they tell me what is happening around here and I also talk to the neighbors frequently (matter of fact earlier this evening one neighbor called me about a suspicious person he saw and asked what he should do about it). We haven't had any home invasions for decades, but those almost never go well for the residents around here as few people here in this part of CA choose to arm themselves. I think if it were to happen in my house it would not go well for the invader, regardless of whether he is armed and with what. Many a deputy has told me that when they get here they want the body to be approaching room temperature and expect that is is armed with a gun and preferably that gun has been fired into a wall or something.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #9
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6328 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 6815

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best and you will likely live to breath another day. Remember, things like robbery and home invasion are rarely truly random and unconnected to something that is only about you or another member of your household, friends or Family. I know that doesnt answer much but thats the reality of crime, victims become thus because they are picked out of the crowd somehow.

Lastly, I live in the Boonies for a reason, lots of guns and anything that looks out of place is easy to recognize and easier to deal with. 911 wont save you in the city or the toolies, both are only good for bringing in the coroner, for you or the perp, "So whats its gonna be Punk" as one of my fav actors once said in a movie line, You gonna be the victor or the victim? Be prepared!

Old 08-28-2013, 01:50 PM   #10

Liked 516 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 113

It doesn't really matter.

Someone is in your house without your permission. Worse, they have entered possibly with the intent of you not knowing they are there. You don't have time to do an assessment. Odds are good it is dark and you're operating with limited visibility. Even if you decide to turn on the lights you're still operating with limited visibility because your eyes need to adjust. Flashlight? Still limited visibility. Essentially there is no scenario that takes place at night where you have full use of faculties.

Keeping this in mind, I am not going to worry whether or not the intruder is armed. I am going to assume they have a firearm and operate accordingly. However, I also have a fairly small house, so even a knife if a pretty major threat.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain