Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Your house is broken into (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/your-house-broken-into-96154/)

ledhead97 08-28-2013 06:24 AM

Your house is broken into

So now a days since there is a lot more access to guns and knifes now this is a hard question and it could be anything but what should you expect the person to have when they are breaking into your house like I said it's a long shot and you never know until it happens

JW357 08-28-2013 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ledhead97
So now a days since there is a lot more access to guns and knifes now this is a hard question and it could be anything but what should you expect the person to have when they are breaking into your house like I said it's a long shot and you never know until it happens

Well. I guess it depends on a lot of different factors. Such as, where you live, what kind of neighborhood you live in, is there a lot of gang activity in your area, are you home, do you have dogs or an alarm system, are you rich, etc.

But I would think at the very least a handgun.... That's the mindset I have, at any rate.

sbeezy 08-28-2013 06:37 AM

I'd expect them to have a gun. That way you're prepared for worst case scenario. Or least likely case. I think worst case would be a freakin flame thrower or something, but I don't think too many hoods have one those.

I haven't heard of anyone in my area being shot by an intruder and there's really not any gang activity that I know of. There's a lot of wannabe's but I'd be more worried about them trying to do something stupid like play the knock out game. They're mostly knuckleheads or meth heads.

Anyway, plan for a gun.

ledhead97 08-28-2013 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JW357

Well. I guess it depends on a lot of different factors. Such as, where you live, what kind of neighborhood you live in, is there a lot of gang activity in your area, are you home, do you have dogs or an alarm system, are you rich, etc.

But I would think at the very least a handgun.... That's the mindset I have, at any rate.

I mean I live in a good neighborhood but something can always go wrong and yes my mind set is that they will always have a gun on them and if push comes to shove I'm the one making it out of my own house

jigs-n-fixture 08-28-2013 07:07 AM

I think that if you research the statistics, you'll find the odds of home intruders you don't know is pretty low.

genesaika 08-28-2013 07:36 AM

To be perfectly honest most wouldn't be armed at all or with a knife. Even so I say be prepared to defend against someone at least as well armed as you. It's just good tactics really.

WillWork4Ammo 08-28-2013 08:23 AM

Colorado's Make My Day Law allows me to use lethal force on a intruder and be free of prosecution and civil action.Im going to assume the unwanted intruder is armed.We do have a home security system that will go off even if a window is opened.If the burglar makes it inside,he's not going to be walking out.I also look at the city's police crime map once in awhile as well to see what crimes occur and what areas.Our neighbor is very low crime,but there are spots of trespassing and burglaries here and there.But along with a gun, a couple of pitbulls and a large Rottweiler patrolling the yard would make any potential burglar have a very bad night:D

Vikingdad 08-28-2013 09:28 AM

It all depends on your specific neighborhood. I talk to the sheriff's deputies in my neighborhood (we are in a rural area) and they tell me what is happening around here and I also talk to the neighbors frequently (matter of fact earlier this evening one neighbor called me about a suspicious person he saw and asked what he should do about it). We haven't had any home invasions for decades, but those almost never go well for the residents around here as few people here in this part of CA choose to arm themselves. I think if it were to happen in my house it would not go well for the invader, regardless of whether he is armed and with what. Many a deputy has told me that when they get here they want the body to be approaching room temperature and expect that is is armed with a gun and preferably that gun has been fired into a wall or something.

WebleyFosbery38 08-28-2013 11:54 AM

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best and you will likely live to breath another day. Remember, things like robbery and home invasion are rarely truly random and unconnected to something that is only about you or another member of your household, friends or Family. I know that doesnt answer much but thats the reality of crime, victims become thus because they are picked out of the crowd somehow.

Lastly, I live in the Boonies for a reason, lots of guns and anything that looks out of place is easy to recognize and easier to deal with. 911 wont save you in the city or the toolies, both are only good for bringing in the coroner, for you or the perp, "So whats its gonna be Punk" as one of my fav actors once said in a movie line, You gonna be the victor or the victim? Be prepared!

CrazedJava 08-28-2013 01:50 PM

It doesn't really matter.

Someone is in your house without your permission. Worse, they have entered possibly with the intent of you not knowing they are there. You don't have time to do an assessment. Odds are good it is dark and you're operating with limited visibility. Even if you decide to turn on the lights you're still operating with limited visibility because your eyes need to adjust. Flashlight? Still limited visibility. Essentially there is no scenario that takes place at night where you have full use of faculties.

Keeping this in mind, I am not going to worry whether or not the intruder is armed. I am going to assume they have a firearm and operate accordingly. However, I also have a fairly small house, so even a knife if a pretty major threat.