Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Your concealed preference??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2011, 04:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Your concealed preference??

What is your preference for concealed carry and why? I know, this is a similar post to the guy recently asking about favorite handguns, but I would like to know your preference regarding concealed carry in particular, which is much different (to me anyway, especially when trying to consider what will end up being my choice.)

Also, if you have any "must not buy" bewares, I am interested in hearing that, as well.

Thanks, in advance for your replies!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-16-2011, 04:33 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I carry my Ruger SR9c in a Fobus paddle holster during the spring and summer. During the fall and winter I carry my Springfield Mil-Spec 1911a1 in a shoulder holster (forgot the maker of it ).

I prefer the Ruger SR9c over some other firearms like Glock for example, because I like the slim grip, the trigger is VERY nice, I like the sights, and I like some of the saftey features.

I prefer the Springfield 1911a1, because if I'm going to carry a full size .45ACP firearm, I might as well carry one that has some weight to it. Also I love the trigger, the thiness of it makes it very easy to conceal, feels very good in my hand, and it's a 1911 .

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 08-16-2011, 04:48 PM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I carry either a Glock 23 (or at times a Glock 19) in an IWB kydex holster. I have to carry a .40 caliber Glock on duty and don't like carrying a different type or brand off duty than I carry off duty. I used to carry only a 1911 or BHP & bought a Gen1 Glock 17 in order to break it by abusing it.

I grew to respect and rely on the Glock after a year of hard use and abuse and have pretty much been carrying one ever since. I traded my Gen1 17 for a Gen3 22 in 1998 and bought a Gen3 23 in 1999. I've carried a 1911 on occasion before going to work at my current agency 7 years ago, but haven't since.

I've shot and handled the Springfield XD and S&W M&P enough to trust either one of them. I've heard and read good things about the FNX & Ruger SR, but haven't shot or handled one.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:11 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The Ruger SR's are more of an all around firearm; good shooting, a good platform for a new shooter, good for carry, and so on.

Glocks are more of a combat and defense firearm.

-Confederate Soldier

-Unknown

-Wyatt Earp

Old 08-16-2011, 06:36 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Not sure I'm following that logic...

But I tend to prefer larger handguns that have better ballistics, relatively higher capacities, and are easier to shoot well in all situations. I haven't had much trouble trying to conceal my PT92 or even my 8" Raging Bull.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:00 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I prefer smaller handguns usually, because I don't see the need for a full sized firearm in a caliber like the 9mm (other than recreational purposes). If the caliber is over .40 I usually like a full size or close to full size firearm.

I don't have trouble concealing much of anything. It's just the way I am I guess .

-Confederate Soldier

-Unknown

-Wyatt Earp

Old 08-16-2011, 07:01 PM   #7
Jay

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts

I carry a 1911, and have for over 35 years. I know several ladies who carry 1911's, and just love 'em.

Having said that......

This is strictly my opinion, and has worked in many years of firearms training, and for men and ladies alike. Buy a handgun just like you would buy a pair of shoes. If Ol' Joe over here says he likes Charlie China tennis shoes, and you're looking for a new pair of shoes, do you run out and buy Joe's pick, just because HE likes 'em? Probably not. If a new shooter is asking what to buy for a carry gun, it doesn't matter what works for me, or anyone else. I suggest telling that new shooter to go to many gun shops, and/or gun shows, and handle all the guns they can get hold of. Just like they would try on shoes. Before long they'll be able to make a list of guns that feel ok, pretty good, real good, and "that really feels great in my hands". The last two are the ones to pursue, and here's why I say that....
If a given handgun doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it, because it's not comfortable, and you won't like shooting it. Just like you rarely wear shoes that are UNcomfortable. If you're not gonna become proficient with it, save your money, and buy a ball bat to carry. With proper fundamentals, he/she can learn to shoot almost any handgun, or any caliber. Very few folks can re-train their hands to make just any handgun feel comfortable. The last suggestion.........proper shooting techinques, practiced slowly, but proficiently, will breed speed. Do it slowly, and do it the right way, every time.......If you practice speed first, and introduce less efficient techniques into your training, you'll have to do it all over again to get it right.

By the way..... anyone who introduces a new shooter to our pastime by having them start with a large-caliber handgun, makes a very poor decision. Yes, some folks do ok starting out with large calibers, but the vast majority will not continue to shoot if their very 1st experience is with .50 S&W. Start with a .22 caliber something, and as your technique/accuracy improves, work up from there.

There always will be a trade-off..... light weight, more recoil...... shorter barrel, more recoil... just sayin....

Again, just my ramblings.... but they work for me...

Shoot Safely....

ps... if you'd care to have the contact info for a lady who carries a 1911 daily, just let me know. I'm sure she can answer some of your concerns.

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Last edited by Jay; 08-16-2011 at 07:08 PM.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:04 PM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2741 Times on 1591 Posts
Likes Given: 1202

A PPK/s in .380, a S&W Model 12 in .38Spl, a H&K PSP P7 in 9mm, a Ed Brown Kobra Carry in .45, and a CZ-USA C-BOB in 10mm.

Each has a purpose and depending on what I am doing and where I am going.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-16-2011, 07:13 PM   #9

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

What works best for me, from several to choose from, for general concealed carry, would be my Springfield XD, .40 sub-compact. Small frame, major caliber, light weight.

During cooler weather where jackets are appropriate, I like my S&W 457, .45 acp.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 08-16-2011, 07:18 PM   #10

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Ccw

sometimes I carry a full size 1911 at 4:00 either IWB or a SOB holster. Most often I carry a S&W 686 4" IWB in a Galco Summer Comfort holster.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
Vietnam Vet 1968 MCB 53 Danang