Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Your Call, Convince Me

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2010, 09:53 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Benning, it's well known here that I am an XD fan. My XD45 was my first pistol, it's accurate, still feels good in my hand and has a high capacity. I had a SC9 which was the same. When I finally gave in to the curiousity of the 1911(and got past my rust issues) I was hooked. It wasn't instant for me but after shooting it a little bit, twice actually, I was a fan and I've been shooting it ever since. I became such a fan of the nice clean trigger break and the ease at which it pointed that I started to notice how thin it was. I too am thin and hiding my XD was easy with a coat on but not in just a shirt. My Kimber will disappear in shorts and a t shirt. I like Cane's LCR but he has 5 rounds of 38 and I have 9 of 45ACP(sorry cane).

Now, if you called me up and said, "Spitty, the s**t has hit the fan and we're going in hot" I'm going to reach for my XD. Why? It points nearly as well as the 1911, it's easier to clean and field strip and war would be the one place I'm concerned about capacity(or if I was LEO)XD-13+1, 1911 8+1.
If you said, "hey homie, let's take the honeys down to white castle and grab a slider" I'm reaching for my Kimber.

If you don't own a 1911, get one.....get a nice one. I LOVE my Kimber, goes everywhere I go and let's be honest. You can't call yourself a man if you don't own a 45 auto.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 01-21-2010, 09:54 AM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 1911s made in the Philippines as they are well made with great customer service. I'd buy another Rock Island in a heartbeat and the Tactical is a great value for the money. The tiny sights on the GI are the real drawback and since the ejection port is not flared & lowered either - the brass gets beat up which is bad for reloaders. The Mil-Spec is worth the few extra dollars as it will cost at least the difference in price to upgrade the GI. While I recommended the Springer Mil-Spec, you would be just as well served by a Rock Island Tactical at the $500 price point.

I've owned multiples of every gun I've mentioned so I'm speaking from experience - not just passing along interwebz comments. Over the past few years I've owned probably 2 dozen different 1911s from Colt, Dan Wesson, Kimber, Springer, Para, and Rock Island as well as in every size and configuration.

Many folks balk at capacity, especially when coming over from the poly platforms. Me, I know that 8 rounds of .45 will accomplish the mission and you can always carry extra mags.
I bow to your experience NGIB.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:14 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I had a guy at the shop last week that shoots a Rock Island and he just loves it. He told me that the Rock will eat anything he puts through it including hollow points. I'm going with the Champion Operator because of Springfield's commitment to customer service and their life-time warranty. Also, I get a huge discount for being an employee of a gun shop.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:40 PM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Okay, I'm sold.

My initial point of reference is the 1911 issued in the Army before they switched down. Are the multitude of available civilian models that claim to be G.I., military classic, government model, etc., actually close to those specs, or is it a sales gimmick?

Old 01-21-2010, 03:07 PM   #15

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
Okay, I'm sold.

My initial point of reference is the 1911 issued in the Army before they switched down. Are the multitude of available civilian models that claim to be G.I., military classic, government model, etc., actually close to those specs, or is it a sales gimmick?
A lot of the base models are very close to the GI specs. The Springer GI and base Rock Island come to mind as 2 affordable entries. The tiny GI sights don't work for me which is why I prefer the Mil-Spec over the GI. Springer likes to confuse folks by using the term mil-spec on a couple of models. The pure Springer GI has vertical slide serrations and the actual Mil-Spec has angled slide serrations...

Old 01-21-2010, 03:10 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Shop around my friend. I got my Kimber for less then what the Springfields are bringing, GI or Milspec.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 01-21-2010, 06:23 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

First, if you are thinking about modifying a 1911, research carefully before you buy. For example, the sights on the Springfield G.I. can't be readily changed for many of the better sights without re-milling the slide.

I had a Springfield G.I. and was unhappy with it. Springfield's customer service was great, and the work they did when I sent it back did help. But I wouldn't have trusted my life to it. Two friends bought G.I. models at the same time I did — one was unhappy also (different issues from mine) and the other is still enjoying his (no problems whatsoever).

If I were going to buy another Springer 1911, I would go farther up their scale.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 01-21-2010, 09:42 PM   #18

Every "gun guy" needs a 1911. If you ain't got one, you ain't a gun guy. Also, if you already have a higher capaciy pistol, get the 1911. For me, I would first consider which type of gun I don't already have and try to fill the void. If I didn't have either, I'd hit the guns shop, put them side by side, and I would know which one I want first.
Good luck with your decision. I love when I have such tough choices.