Your Call, Convince Me
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Your Call, Convince Me

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2010, 07:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Default Your Call, Convince Me

I generally can afford one piece a year. Last year sucked financially, hence the Hi Point purchase.

This year, if my stars allign, I've narrowed it down to a 1911, probably a Springfield, or the XD Tactical.

I've handled both, I'm comfortable either way.

I have the XD Compact, accurate beyond belief. And I like the high capacity.

I like the slim factor of the 1911.

I will go with the numbers factored with the convincing argument.

What say ye?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-20-2010, 07:28 PM   #2

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Tough one BB as I'm a fan of both platforms. Until I picked up the FNP 9 so cheap, the only poly guns I owned were XD's. My personal choice, twas I in your shoes, would be a Springer Mil-Spec (not the GI). I picked up my last one, barely used, for $500 - which included 3 mags and 2 boxes of ammo...

Old 01-20-2010, 07:39 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Why not get both, one this year & one next year. I have the XD45 tactical and will eventually get a basic 1911 when i can carry.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:53 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

First, a question, do you already have a 1911? If you don't, go for the SA Mil Spec model. It has better sights, lowered & flared ejection port and some stuff I don't remember that the G.I. doesn't. If the G.I. is what's in the budget, then get the G.I., you'll be happy either way and you can always change the sights later if you feel it's necessary.

My thinking is this: Get the handgun that was the inspiration for many other pistols as well as the model for the XD's grip safety. Go for the original. You will be very, very happy and you won't look back.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-20-2010, 09:19 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

As long as you go with the Springfield, you can't go wrong. I'm looking at the Champion Operator just in case we here in Wisconsin get CC.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:27 PM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If you don't already have a 1911 you owe it to yourself to get 1. A good 1911 purchase is never regretted. I only have 2 1911s right now but am looking to add a 3rd when I can afford it (will likely build it). Too many people poo poo the capacity of the 1911 when attempting to explain preference polymer framed high capacity pistols. After all-how many times are you planning to miss? Not only that but you can get a Para Ordnance with up to 14+1 capacity if you so desire. They're now made in the USA. You already have 1 XD-now's the time to get another platform.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 01-21-2010, 05:16 AM   #7

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Good points. I think my biggest purely emotional issue is capacity, and I know logically I don't see running out, if I go 1911, I'm getting lots of magazines.

If I did the G.I. model, would there be any modifications I would need to look into immediately?

Old 01-21-2010, 05:57 AM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I can't speak to the Springer GI model, but I have the Para Ordnance GI Expert and I'm happy with it. The hard plastic grip panels went away immediately and that's all I've done to it. Could it use a better trigger? Sure. But for $465.27 I'm not complaining. I added a couple Chip McCormick super mags for the 10 round capacity and I'm happy as a pig in dooty.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:14 AM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

BB, (my family calls me BB btw,lol)

Would this be for carry or home?

I'm in the same situation. I have researched 1911's and handled so many 1911's I'm having brainfarts as to what was what. A 1911 will also be my next gun purchase and my first 1911.

If you can afford it and can find one, get a Dan Wesson. They make good quality 1911's out of excellent parts. They are a small company and only make so many. The 2010 models aren't out yet, but somehow the 2009 models went to the 2010 prices already.

Others I have considered if that falls through are Springfield Champion, Smith&Wesson PD, Kimber Raptor,cdp, or pro carry.

I'm staying away from taurus 1911's,RIA, and any made in the Phillipines.

Good luck on your journey, I am happy for you!

Old 01-21-2010, 09:59 AM   #10

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 1911s made in the Philippines as they are well made with great customer service. I'd buy another Rock Island in a heartbeat and the Tactical is a great value for the money. The tiny sights on the GI are the real drawback and since the ejection port is not flared & lowered either - the brass gets beat up which is bad for reloaders. The Mil-Spec is worth the few extra dollars as it will cost at least the difference in price to upgrade the GI. While I recommended the Springer Mil-Spec, you would be just as well served by a Rock Island Tactical at the $500 price point.

I've owned multiples of every gun I've mentioned so I'm speaking from experience - not just passing along interwebz comments. Over the past few years I've owned probably 2 dozen different 1911s from Colt, Dan Wesson, Kimber, Springer, Para, and Rock Island as well as in every size and configuration.

Many folks balk at capacity, especially when coming over from the poly platforms. Me, I know that 8 rounds of .45 will accomplish the mission and you can always carry extra mags.

Last edited by NGIB; 01-21-2010 at 10:04 AM.