You'll shoot your eye out!! - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > You'll shoot your eye out!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2010, 01:42 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 84 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Wow, who knew Spitty was so "anti eye"?
You apparently weren't around for this thread.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/advice-spitty-dont-get-metal-your-eye-22444/

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 10-09-2010, 02:06 PM   #22

Liked 3740 Times on 1828 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Sorry to hear about the injury i hope it heals up and your back to 100% soon

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 10-09-2010, 02:40 PM   #23

Liked 63 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatopardo View Post

And ladies, no cleavage show at the range, those burns leave permanent scars if the sun light touches them.
HEY!!! Speak for yourself!

Old 10-09-2010, 03:43 PM   #24

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
Oh, crap! I missed that!

The same thing happened to me many years ago. Cutting the steel bands off of surplus ammo crates a piece of metal ended up in my eye. The next day was at the Optho, getting it removed and the rust drilled out. He told me if it had been one more day that I would have lost the eye.

That drill to the eye was not fun, was it? 20+ years later I still cringe when I think of it. But the apparatus they made me stick my head into, and the bright light on the eye were no fun either. Mental torture.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 10-09-2010, 11:51 PM   #25

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I woke up this morning with my eye feeling glued shut, it had junkall over it.

The right eye's vision is still very blurry, almost double vision.

Hopefully it'll be better in a few days.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:58 PM   #26

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3485 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Sorry to hear Brian. Did they give any indication on how long the symptoms will last?

When I was about 22, I was free climbing a pole to do some install work ( Cable TV Related ) and on the way down my gloved hand slid at the exact moment a light breeze blew thru and I got a bunch of creosote from the pole up under my glasses and into my eyes.

It felt like someone took a blow torch to me.

This was a Weds or Thursday. I was about a half mile from a gym where I knew someone who worked there and I drove half blind there and begged to use the shower even though I wasn't a member. Luckily the gal I knew was there and she came out when I was pleading with the front desk and waved me thru.

I washed my eyes in cold, cold shower water for about 25 or 30 minutes and the front desk called my POS of a boss and he came to get me.

I went to the doc and they put a vaseline like substance in my eyes and I had to keep that in overnight and come back the next day. As I lived alone, I had to take a cab and they did it to me again. Vaseline like substances in your eyes SUCKS.

Luckily by Sunday I was able to see clearly again and suffered no ill effects.

I sincerely hope the same is the result for you. Some serious discomfort for now, but 100% recovery.

JD

Old 10-10-2010, 12:39 AM   #27

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I'm not sure how long, the antibiotics are for 7 days and the doctor wants to see me on monday. He told me there may be permanent damage because of where the burn and abrasion are, right through the center of my pupil and 6mm long. The antibiotic stuff looks and feels like vaseline too.
I'lllet you now what he says on monday. Until then, I'll be like this,

same eye too!!!

Old 10-10-2010, 02:13 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I wear my regular glasses when I shoot (so I can see the target). I got polycarbonate lenses with scratch-resistant coating with the thought that they would be able to stand up to impacts from flying brass. But I didn't think about brass getting behind them until it happened to me. Luckily, it just hit the lower rim of my eyelid. Somewhat painful, irritating all that day and the next, but nothing actually in the eye. When I got home, I stuck a ball cap in my range bag, and I always wear it when shooting indoors.

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
William S. Burroughs

Old 10-10-2010, 02:48 AM   #29

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3485 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
I'm not sure how long, the antibiotics are for 7 days and the doctor wants to see me on monday. He told me there may be permanent damage because of where the burn and abrasion are, right through the center of my pupil and 6mm long. The antibiotic stuff looks and feels like vaseline too.
I'lllet you now what he says on monday. Until then, I'll be like this,

same eye too!!!
Knowing where you are at, and the discomfort, with the anti's in the eye, I feel for you brother. I hope the results are positive and you have no definitive damage.

JD

Old 10-10-2010, 03:38 AM   #30
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6659 Times on 3543 Posts
Likes Given: 498

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
I went to the range today (post and pics to come later). But, first a comical, sort of not, story.

I was shooting the xd40sc under the covered area outside. A shell casing bounced off one of the supports about and landed on the top of my sunglasses. When I twitched the shellcasing fell down into my eye and burnt my pupil. It burned like heck and everything went blurry!
I came home and after about an hour I decided I needed to go to the doctor. I went to the walk in clinic and told them what happened. The doctor told the receptionist that I need to see an opthamologist and when I'm leaving she tells me, "you don't need to be shooting them guns." I just gave her a ,'you're an idiot look' and walked out.

I saw a local opthamologist, REAL cooll guy. He said I have a 6mm thermal burn across my pupil,swelling, and a large abrasion. He subscribed some antibiotics(walmart will take about 3hrs to fill) and will see m again on monday. He also said he just bought an XDM in 45.

Watch those coverings out there, stay safe.
damn hope you recover. when i shoot any place that the casing can re bound i wear a ballcap pulled down so the brim hits the top of my glasses. i learned that after getting a hot 50AE case bounce back go behind my glasses and wedge just under my bottom eyelid a fraction from my eyeball.