Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Are You Old Enough to Remember Iver Johnson? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/you-old-enough-remember-iver-johnson-92252/)

HankStone 06-13-2013 06:19 PM

Are You Old Enough to Remember Iver Johnson?

When I was a kid living in Wheeling and Clarksburg West Virginia during WW2,everyone had one in his pocket!

http://www.google.com/search?q=iver+johnson+revolver&rlz=1T4GGNI_enUS495 US495&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=h_y5Uce5F NC40AHfq4CQCg&ved=0CDkQsAQ&biw=1067&bih=458

c3shooter 06-13-2013 07:18 PM

Got him onea them Owl's Head pistols, he does! :D

Not only do I remember them, I HAVE a few of the topbreaks.

The most knowledgable man I ever knew on those gun was Mr. William Goforth. Shortly before they were to publish the first compiled guide to the different models and histories, Mr. Goforth died unexpectedly. Publisher was convinced to go ahead and print, and i got a copy of his book.

Same company also made the US Revolver Company guns.

fortinsj 06-13-2013 07:27 PM

C3 pm sent

Tackleberry1 06-13-2013 07:50 PM

Am I old enough to remember Iver?

Quote:

Originally Posted by HankStone (Post 1275461)

No... But I'm pretty sure C3 kicked his ass in grade school! :D

c3shooter 06-13-2013 09:10 PM

Hey now! I never carried a pistol when I was in grade school. Had me a Barlow pocket knife, and a brass Yale padlock hanging on a 3 ft long piece of leather bootlace.

Never know when you need to lock something up.....:D

HankStone 06-13-2013 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 1275562)
Hey now! I never carried a pistol when I was in grade school. Had me a Barlow pocket knife, and a brass Yale padlock hanging on a 3 ft long piece of leather bootlace.

Never know when you need to lock something up.....:D

Tipping my hand Sir,I carried a Barlow and a Zip Gun in 22cal made from a car radio antenna,a small sharped door sliding door latch sharpened for rim fire,with NEWS paper rubber bands for striking the primer and bolt.,BANG!

That's when we moved from West Virginia back to the Bronx NY,now you all know me,I'm still the same Demon Kid!

HankStone 06-14-2013 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 (Post 1275522)
No... But I'm pretty sure C3 kicked his ass in grade school! :D

You Talking To Me---You Talking To Me,OK fugetaboutit the Sheriff likes me now,thinks I'm a crazy old man?

Sniper03 06-14-2013 12:12 AM

Hank,

Yes Sir! I do remember the old Owls Head Iver Johnson pistols. I still have two of them at the present that belonged to my grandpa. He owned a small grocery in a small Indiana town and carried one when he went to the bank. And kept on hidden beside the cash register at the store in case of a robbery. Never had a robbery in town but grandpa was always prepared. He also carried one of them when he went fishing and coon hunting. I have both of them although I would almost be afraid to shoot either one! They are in 32 Cal. Once again Great Memories were made! I do get them out, clean them, handle them almost in his memory and put them away!

c3shooter 06-14-2013 02:11 AM

Actually, while they were not high dollar guns, they were a long way from junk. If the gun is not excessively worn or broken, it still should be safe to shoot. .32 S&W is still loaded as a light load.

You DO need to exercise some care with the .38 S&W models. Some of those were made for black powder .38s, and should not be shot with modern ammo.

General rule of thumb- if caliber is marked on side of bbl, is for modern ammo.

gvw3 06-14-2013 02:20 AM

I have one in 38. It was made in 1924. It was my wifes grandfather issue gun from the city of chicago. I shoot it every so often. 38 S&W is not easy to find. Very bad trigger pull.