Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Are you KIDDING me?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 03:25 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1115 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
Nothing wrong with trying to strike up a conversation. I just meant that you might not get a lot of traffic. It's a topic that's been picked over quite a bit lately.
I know, but I'm a grump and I like to bitch. Besides, was also interested in any good -- or even reasonable -- deals people have gotten lately.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
225 bucks for a model 12 is a give away price 40 years ago and most any functional comdition. Firearm price saround here have not changed.
Sorry, that was a misprint, it was actually $250, which was still a pretty good deal, I think. Got it from a kid (well, early 20's) who inherited the gun from his grandfather, and to him it was just an old shotgun. I don't really understand people who sell guns handed down to them. About 20 years ago someone broke into my house and stole my guns -- but what really pissed me off was that some of what they took were pretty worthless dollar wise -- e.g. a 1907 Hopkins and Allen double barrel shotgun and a Iver Johnson .410 -- but had been passed down from great grandparents. A part of my family history was probably sold out of the back of a car for $20.00.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 244 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Brother I hear ya - I put insurance on some of mine so it will not be a total loss. No amt of $$$ will ever cover the sentimental value.

Gun safes only keep honest men out.

Many a good man has had to start over from scratch.

Last edited by Gonzilla; 03-13-2013 at 03:59 PM.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
Brother I hear ya - I put insurance on some of mine so it will not be a total loss. No amt of $$$ will ever cover the sentimental value.

[Thread drift alert]

Yep. They also got, among others, the Ruger Single Six my father got me for Christmas when I was eight years oldOn the other hand, about five years ago I was set up at a gun show selling knives, and on the table behind me a saw a familar looking rifle. It was a Springfield 30-06 that my father had customized when I was about six or seven, and that he sold while I was away at college. Of course that came home with me.

Last edited by txpossum; 03-13-2013 at 04:08 PM.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post

[Thread drift alert]

Yep. They also got, among others, the Ruger Single Six my father got me for Christmas when I was eight years old. On the other hand, about five years ago I was set up at a gun show selling knives, and on the table behind me I saw familar looking rifle. It was a Springfield 30-06 that my father had customized when I was about six or seven, and that he sold while I was away at college. Of course that came home with me.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I was in a LGS a couple weeks ago and I noticed a Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley with a 7.5 in barrel. I have been interested in them over the years but not really ready to buy one. A tag on the box indicated that the LGS had received the gun in Aug 12. The shop usually has a large supply of guns but their display cases had a lot of empty space. I got an idea.... I told one of the assistants " you guys have been doing a great business lately and I see that you are about out of Plastic Guns" ( don't get me wrong I have several) . I then said " what's the best price you can give me on that Super Blackhawk 44 mag with the 7.5 barrel". I then said " I see its been here a while and most people aren't interested in them in this market" . He said let me check.. He came back with a price that I knew was 200 dollars below MSRP plus sales tax included.. I think I surprised him when I said SOLD.. 10 minutes later I was out the door with it. There are deals out there now if you don't want what every body else wants.

Kimber CDPII Custom Shop 45
S&W M&P 9
Ruger LC9
Ruger LCR 357 Mag.
S&W 686 Stainless 357 Mag.
Dan Wesson 357 mag
Seacamp 32
Browning Buckmark Plus 22
High Standard Duramatic 101
Baretta 950 c 22 short

Old 03-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #17

Liked 401 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 83

The prices won't come down until the gun grabbers calm down.

Ironically, the more they talk, the more guns and ammo that get sold. For people who don't want people to have guns they have done a great job of selling them.

I know the prices will come down eventually. I'd be willing to pay somewhat higher prices but I won't get ridiculous about it.

I couldn't believe a LGS selling a FN SCAR17 for $5,000! Seriously! They also had a Hi-Point Carbine for $500. DPMS AR's for $1,400. That is nuts.

It does look like the price may come down eventually. If the ammo pipeline would get unclogged I think it would actually help somewhat as the lack of ammo just feeds the perception that there is a panic going on.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

My Firearm Reviews -
Beretta U22 Neos
Magnum Research Baby Eagle II .45 ACP

Old 03-13-2013, 11:00 PM   #18

I remember in 1994, when the assault weapons ban became law, the same thing happened. I friend of mine bought two Bushmasters for 1600 apiece; a year or so later they were selling for half of that.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:15 AM   #19

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I had my LGS call me and wanted to buy some of my collection of glocks that he had worked on. He was willing to pay $100 more than I payed. So that tells me he is going to stick it to somebody. I have changed LGS and range.Very bad reps of the sport and way we help each other.I don't even go to gun shows anymore because I leave Pissed off. I hope it ends soon for the sport that we love doesn't end up like NASCAR. LOL

Old 03-14-2013, 10:38 AM   #20

Liked 561 Times on 371 Posts

Last night I picked up a 10/22 takedown in stainless last night for 329 $. I think yhats reasonable. My buddy bought a governor for 699 $. I'm not sure if that's good or not. So I bought a s&w m*p 15 sport for 640 $ a year ago. I saw one for 999 $ the other day. Its crazy